First small boat

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:04am
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

I strongly support the above .
And particularaly coastguard membership and courses.

I'll give you an offer.
I will take you out on your boat.
I'll check it over trailer and all.
I suspect all you see is dollar signs.
You'd better get used to that.

I'll give you my time and experience to start you off.
No charge but you have to come to west auckland.
Weather is not an issue.

If your interested.
Pm me.

Otherwise follow the excellent advice above and good luck..

you would have to take up this offer and then coastguard  and day skippers.
i did day skippers before my boat was finished and is a fantastic course and membership is a no brainer.
and with some enforced time off work im actually about to do my VHF course this afternoon
knowledge is everything the sea can be very unforgiving and you have some great options here for the sake of going out west
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 4:29pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Trick has contacted me.
We have a time to meet.

We will see if he rolls up.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 5:37pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll give you an offer.
I will take you out on your boat.

Great offer, TAKE IT!

I did something similar with a buddy when I first got my ski. Lucky I did because it turned out that I didn't know how to reverse a trailer down a boat ramp. Embarrassing, but we're all here to learn!  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote trick213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 8:13pm
trick213 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

See you tommrw Matto!

Appreciate all the advice fellas and everything noted.

Lookimg to get into the day skippers coarse
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 5:40am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have a good day guys... Me? I'm getting ready for work! 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 5:46am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This is awesome. Mattoo if we ever cross paths im buying you a beer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 5:12pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well trick did turn up.
He's got a great small boat package.
We spent some time discussing the boat and trailer and associated boat skills.
Info overload I'm sure.

But Trick seemed welcoming of the input.
No water session as trick was a little time poor. He has family, which always comes first.

We do have an on the water experience under plan for tommorrow and we will see how that plays out.

Genuinely a nice young man with a lot he wants to learn.
With virtually no previous boating experience in his words I'm happy to guide him as best I can.

Mr Spearo, I do like a nice beer.
And I'm up north somewhat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 5:19pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mighty boosh,

You'll be pleased to know as tricks first task I got him to reverse into my driveway.

He told me afterwards it was a bit of a sweat.
Not sure why he did an excellent job.

Everyone needs to be proficient at reversing, straight, right angles, curves, over blind humps..much like a ramp and in a variety of vehicles.
Don't be the muppet on the ramp using three lanes that you cut down to one.

And prep your boat for launching before you go down the ramp.
Busy ramps have busy people who can be most frustrated with your lack of prep.

It's a boaties courtesy and to be honest prep shows your skill level,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 7:25am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well trick did turn up.
He's got a great small boat package.
We spent some time discussing the boat and trailer and associated boat skills.
Info overload I'm sure.

But Trick seemed welcoming of the input.
No water session as trick was a little time poor. He has family, which always comes first.

We do have an on the water experience under plan for tommorrow and we will see how that plays out.

Genuinely a nice young man with a lot he wants to learn.
With virtually no previous boating experience in his words I'm happy to guide him as best I can.

Mr Spearo, I do like a nice beer.
And I'm up north somewhat.
Good on you and thanks for the update.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 7:48am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree. 5 years later and all good. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 10:04am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My old man taufght me to back.. then died before actually showing me.
 My 1st instance odf towing was a bout 17 yrs, EH Holden and a 16' caravan, and backing into a narrow postion in a caravan park.
 1/ take it slow, experienced or not...show offs and it screws up
2/ when starts to go wrong, pull forward 1/3 more than you think, re line up, then go back.
3/ turn gently..and further before the 'cnr' than you think.
4/ Once you get into several turns of the wheel, to correct, espec in a straight reverse, stop, pull straight and keep shallow corrections (usually caused by 1/ and 2/
5/ A slow reverse with little or no corrections/ realignments will be faster in the long term than a fast reverse and couple corrections.

And yeah I nailed that 1st caravan reverse, with allowance for the Awaning spot on.
 And nailed the reverse down the drive, around the house then opposite direction up the side of the garage.

In those days was all over the shoulder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 10:20am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good on you Mattoo!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 1:39pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Once you are happy with reversing go to where you will launch and suss out the ramp to see where you can stop to remove strops, prop flag and prep the boat. As there is nothing worse than a newbie parking the boat in the middle of the ramp to do this, blocking traffic flow from coming off the water and trying to launch and fastest way to get a serve from the impatient Jafa boaties.LOL

Also have a good look at low tide of any hazards or really shallow areas, hopefully your chart will show this also to get an idea of the terrain and hazards and learn these as you go out and come in to the ramp area.

Then get to know what the tides and currents are like, again sussing out more boating hazards.

If you try beach launching, find out if the sand is firm,  carry a longer strop or length of tow rope if you have to unhitch the vehicle and pull the trailer wheels out of the sand as they can bury, but you have a small/lighter boat, so is much easier I presume two blokes could drag the inflatable down the beach. Carry a spade as well for the just in case.Wink

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 2:33pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Something I wish someone had told me...

When trying to reverse in a straight line, keep one hand on the steering wheel in the same position on the wheel. It cuts out a lot of the over-correction. As soon as you’ve made an adjustment, straighten up. It's an ongoing process of small corrections until you end up in the right place. 

Maybe the OP is a double logging truck driver and is like “yeah, whatever”, but just thought I’d share this top tip from Boosh’s School of Trailering 🙂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 7:31pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good on ya Mattoo.

Had a friend call round and borrow my trailer last week to clean up her yard didn't realise she didn't know how to back one apparently left my place and went and taught herself because she didn't want to look like a silly blonde at the dump HAHAHAHA Good on her
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 7:43pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Being able to back a trailer comes in handy, boats a breeze.. but try doing the girlfriends horse float with her beloved horse in it. Eyes on you like a hawk watching every movement Pinch

and MATTOO, I have my house in Hamilton, but home is where the heart is so Whangarei is home home, I also have chocolate milk if you enjoy that more Big smile

And just going to be the first one to say it, I can't do trailers with mirrors, im over the shoulder out the back and if its a modern car like the audi Q3 with next to no back window and all I see is a bow, I just open the door up and plonk the head out.
Page  <12