First small boat

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote trick213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First small boat
    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 5:39am
trick213 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,

Just purchased my very first small boat. Its a 3.4 allow hull inflatable with 15hp motor..both almost new. On trailor

Was going to take it out for my first time on saturday with a friend who also has no experience with boating..

Have come to my senses and wondering if anyone has any tips for my first time out.

Or if anyone with good experience would like to join me. Its easy to tow so can travel anywhere from pakuranga to north shore. I have two inflatable life jackets and might drop a line in if i get a chance.

I guess im abit weary of heading out with no experience. So any advice or someone who wants to tag along and show the ropes would be much apreciated.

Was also thinking or launcing either Bucklands beach or narrow neck saturday arvo. Both seem easy to launch places and i dont mind a little travel fir practice sake.

Thanks

Rick

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 6:11am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

don't get hung up on a day to go out - check weather forecast first (boating recreational metservice) make sure no wind warnings ideally with a small boat variable or 10 knot winds forecast and/or offshore wind (blowing out from land seas don't build up then).
Take a charged cellphone in a sealed plastic bag just in case.
Enjoy!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 10:23am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My ist experience in a small boat with outboard , I was  about 10. smaller than yours, 9'6 home made dingy and a sea gull outboard.. in the Mangwhai harbour.
 Old man had shown me how to start and stop it.. and said start slow , slow for wakes logs.. now go for it.

As a above dont get hung up on it..the launching will in hindsight be the most stressful.
 choose a quiet day, local beach...and potter around till start to get the feel...then head out around a channel buoy, and maybe the next.
 Its like learning to ride a bike..same common-sense not to hit a fence or get run over with a bus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 1:10pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 1:51pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

narrow neck would be a good starting point and just stay in reasonably close and some good sights around the cliffs there,join the coastguard and a mobile vhf should be a must have 
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 3:18pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Definitely agree with Cosmo, join the Coastguard.  If anything goes wrong and you need a tow home it will be the best money you ever spent -and even if you never need them remember that money helps provide emergency rescues for when it really goes pear shaped.

If you can get on one a Day Skipper course will give you confidence on the water as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 3:55pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

First time, load it with b̶e̶e̶r̶  drinks & a snack and explore some upper reaches of the harbour. 
North of Greenhithe bridge or Heliers creek
Tamaki River
Even North of the harbour bridge and some of the creeks etc.

Remember, comms, life-jackets and speed.

These areas are likely to be less busy, less hazardous and should something happen you'll be drifting near land.

Just check the tides and make sure your kill switch is connected.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 7:43pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Rick, sounds like a stable little boat. Spend a few extra $$ on a waterproof VHF as things do get alot wetter than big boat fishing. After a few trips and confidence builds your safe as to venture a few ks out. I generally fish between 2-3ks out West in a 3.6 but first sign of wind building to small whitecaps I head back in. Also being an inflatable use a landing not a gaff especially on Snaps as there spikes will puncture the tubes. Practice scooping them up away from pontoons. Seen a good Snap puncture an inflatable with a over excited anglerLOLCausing a quick trip back to shore. All the BestBeer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 9:04pm
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Congratulations your first boat. Great plan taking experienced boaties out with you. I did that before adding family. used to go early to avoid the crowds as well - shouldn't be a problem in winter! Ditto on radio, mobile and coastguard membership checklist. if going early i do as much as possible the day before...fill totes, run the motor, put bungs in and hitch to car. less things to worry about. Also have grab bags of safety stuff and fishing stuff. if worried about reversing trailer, go practise in a supermarket car park outside busy times. Small movements help check you are going in the right direction. i still have my old check list and can email or take a photo. PM me with email or mobile.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote trick213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 10:17pm
trick213 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys, apreciate all advice givin and will definatley get a vhf and join coastguard.

A few things im trying to get my head around *reading marine forcast* Saturday seems not bad from what i can see?

Was thinking of launching closer to hi tide in the arvo,

Great advice re practicing reversing in carpark. And getting alot of things ready the night before.

Might ditch fishing this time and do abit of sight seeing around rangitoto or the island out from musik point.

Doing my homework on boating rules on the water. If im cruising along i stay to the right of the chanel?

Once again apreciate all advice. This site is a gem.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 7:56am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by trick213 trick213 wrote:

Thanks guys, apreciate all advice givin and will definatley get a vhf and join coastguard.

A few things im trying to get my head around *reading marine forcast* Saturday seems not bad from what i can see?

Was thinking of launching closer to hi tide in the arvo,

Great advice re practicing reversing in carpark. And getting alot of things ready the night before.

Might ditch fishing this time and do abit of sight seeing around rangitoto or the island out from musik point.

Doing my homework on boating rules on the water. If im cruising along i stay to the right of the chanel?

Once again apreciate all advice. This site is a gem.

cant comment re marine forecast (others here will know) but North West is great for Manukau Harbour where I boat Huia side - off shore wind.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote f1sh1ngDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 8:02am
f1sh1ngDNA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A good investment is doing your Day skipper course. will build your confidence and knowledge.

"cut me open and you will see me bleed fish"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been following forecasts for several decades now.. used keep an offical data weather station yrs ago.
 Watched different weather forecasts and noted their data bases used.. which are reliable.
 The Marine is far too general.
 The best I have found is Swell Maps (the maps not the data graphs) that use the NZ Met Ocean data bases.
Reasonably accurate 7 days out now. A window may move 8 to 24 hrs once in a while.
 Reliably accurate 5 days
 Accurate 3 days.

Note the iso bars for wind speed... If more than width of east cape to Taranaki and wider than nth cape t Taupo.. good to go.
Keep in mind tide changes.. wind against tide can chop up nasty very quick. As there are a lot of islands, coves, current directions watch the current against tide around each point

http://www.swellmap.com/forecast-maps

Make use of swell height and period, wind, rain buttons top of the map.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 1:58pm
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pending day skipper, check out https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/recreational/rules/default.asp#give_way_rules
The key rule is to lookout. if in doubt slow down and give way.

i use swellmap too. there is an app.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Coastguard NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 2:53pm
Coastguard NZ View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Rick

Good to see you asking the questions here before casting off as it were.

There's a lot to learn for someone with no or minimal boating experience and the points above are all valid but to be honest - there is a lot more. Things such as equipment to carry, how to use it, weather, bouys and beacons, give way rules and dealing with emergencies just to start with. 

There is a reason why we offer new members a $100 discount for their day skipper course. We want to encourage people to invest a bit of time to get educated to stay safe and enjoy their boating with confidence.

Our volunteers often are called to assist sensible people with the best intentions who just didn't know what they didn't know. 

Competent boaties can make it all look so easy. But behind what you see can be years of experience, local area knowledge, courses, well established routines and checklists.

We would urge you to find someone to show you the ropes and also take advantage of the new member offer. $115.00 to join for 12 months. Included in this is one place on a Day Skipper course with $100.00 off. 

One of the main benefits our members enjoy is free assistance in non-urgent situations such as a breakdown. Non-members incur a charge of $280 per hour of rescue vessel time. 

Hopefully this is seen as constructive and not a hard sell - just really keen to see you enjoy your boating right from the start.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 5:36pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I strongly support the above .
And particularaly coastguard membership and courses.

I'll give you an offer.
I will take you out on your boat.
I'll check it over trailer and all.
I suspect all you see is dollar signs.
You'd better get used to that.

I'll give you my time and experience to start you off.
No charge but you have to come to west auckland.
Weather is not an issue.

If your interested.
Pm me.

Otherwise follow the excellent advice above and good luck..
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 6:03pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't take your mates, your Mrs or your kids until you are fully confident and competent.

Listen to the advice above, get all the safety gear, do the coastguard boatmaster course and VHF Marine Radio, go with experienced blokes and ask lots of why fors...Thumbs UpClap

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Don't take your mates, your Mrs or your kids until you are fully confident and competent.

Listen to the advice above, get all the safety gear, do the coastguard boatmaster course and VHF Marine Radio, go with experienced blokes and ask lots of why fors...Thumbs UpClap

Great advice Thumbs Up
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 10:08pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I’d agree with that too. Get used to handling the boat with a buddy, then do a sightseeing trip or three with family, then try fishing on your own. Take little steps so that everyone enjoys it. Even after having a 5.7m boat for years we rarely go out as a family (of 5) and fish (lots of wakeboarding though) although we take turns going out 2-3 at a time fishing for a variety of reasons.
I might be getting old but I actually enjoy watching/helping others enjoy the experience now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 6:48am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

I strongly support the above .
And particularaly coastguard membership and courses.

I'll give you an offer.
I will take you out on your boat.
I'll check it over trailer and all.
I suspect all you see is dollar signs.
You'd better get used to that.

I'll give you my time and experience to start you off.
No charge but you have to come to west auckland.
Weather is not an issue.

If your interested.
Pm me.

Otherwise follow the excellent advice above and good luck..

I'd take up this offer first of all !  
He's a good sort young Mattoo and you would learn a bit while having your gear checked.
Page  12>