Lure performance

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 12:59pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was about to post, mattoo. like above - I have a tow camera. Made for attaching to your main line. It is part of the line. I have not had a great success with it on trolled lures - the bubble trail and the camera submerging and rising makes it tricky. But I have not persevered with it in that format - used it for other stuff - towing baits etc. But they do not cost a lot (about $150) and the picture quality is superb. You can play it back via a laptop. Battery runs for about 3 hrs, then recharge off laptop. Is about size/shape of small cigar.
For a man with a curious mind and too much time on their hands, it may be worth a crack - some winter research.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 1:20pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Espresso Espresso wrote:

I used a troll cam last week for the first time. It takes quite some time to set up and get working, app etc, the gopro is controlled from cellphone via wifi along the tether. I'll be doing a lot more in future hopefully - what was happening was eye opening even in the half hr I had, rather excited about it. Should be able to provide some factual viewpoints.

sounds cool please post a video
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 3:22pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What make and model camera are you using ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 3:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

I was about to post, mattoo. like above - I have a tow camera. Made for attaching to your main line. It is part of the line. I have not had a great success with it on trolled lures - the bubble trail and the camera submerging and rising makes it tricky. But I have not persevered with it in that format - used it for other stuff - towing baits etc. But they do not cost a lot (about $150) and the picture quality is superb. You can play it back via a laptop. Battery runs for about 3 hrs, then recharge off laptop. Is about size/shape of small cigar.
For a man with a curious mind and too much time on their hands, it may be worth a crack - some winter research.
Regards
Alan

What make and model Alan ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 4:14pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

https://www.waterwolfhd.com/

If I was Mattoo, and doing research on the lure behaviour I would make a short trace - like 3-600mm and hook the camera on to that. Should get enough clean footage to see what the lure is doing. On a 4-5m leader there seems to be a lot of splashing and in/out of the water between the lure and the camera - and usually not at the same time.  
Fiddling around with trolling position etc should help improve the situation. Good to 50m I think - if anyone wants one for diving. I have a mate who bought one when he saw my footage. He attaches it to the strap on his dive mask (scuba), and loves it.
Regards
Alan

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 5:37pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I have seen and used the/a little in-line camera, sounds like the one you're describing above, quite cool in shallow water and not at speed.. Unfortunately it seems to be Apple based only, so editing/Quicktime etc is in the to hard basket, I binned that one. I have some pretty cool footage of a Squidwing as a first tow trial - part of a lure design I'm involved with. So that is first on the agenda when it's not blowing 30+ kts. Along with that I then intend to show what different things actually do i.e. pretty much a whole lot of what's been discussed. The tow cam has my gopro7 in it so HD, 4k video. First impressions were...impressive i.e. I will be tuning lures, dredges, hook rigs, head designs etc. Good times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 5:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 6:29pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Trust me, I am an IT dummy - top of the list. Got my first smart phone a few weeks ago. It defeats me. Tried to upload a pic today to my laptop. No go. Have a hell of a job uploading pics to this forum - 10 tries usually.
But I can do the editing etc on the camera. Not easy, for me, but easily do-able for my diving mate.
No idea if Apple based etc etc. But if I can do it, 99.9% of the rest of the world can.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 12:25pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Something I have found extremely amuzing - is a well know lure make  who does clinics was telling us to use short traces, this much drag with all these "rules that you have to do" and that the lure skirt was like had to be trimmed and cut to bits shortening the lure to get his lures and hook rig to work right (and we did and yes they got bit) 

Fast forward 10 years and hes saying the complete opposite - LOL  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 12:56pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's all the fumes the lure makers breathe in over the years mate - fuddles the brain and they can't remember what they said to start.Clown
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 1:55pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Or it could be there own learning curve.

Or a need to sell products in a different light.

Lots of "ors" to be sure.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 10:20am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Big smileLOLClap
Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

It's all the fumes the lure makers breathe in over the years mate - fuddles the brain and they can't remember what they said to start.Clown
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 5:30pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I trimmed back the skirt of a lure and it was a great fish magnet but a terrible hook rate. Be good for a tease and switch.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 6:42pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Makes you realise how precise and controlled they can be on strike. At other times totally clumsy. I have  camera footage of a large dogtooth strike on a bait I was towing. Lightning fast - extremely strong fish, extremely sharp teeth. It dropped the bait as soon as it hit it. I never knew I had had a strike - until I saw the footage of the tow camera. I went back and had a look at the bait - back in the freezer. I could make out the slightest teeth indents - to first glance, totally untouched. But that powerful fish had it in its gob of razor sharp teeth and left it without a mark when it bailed out. All in a split second.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 7:42pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Appreciate your responses.

The variations are interesting.

It seems to suggest from your comments thus far that we need more info to build a picture and yet a Murphy's picture of all possibilities shows.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 2:45pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jakepitsville,

Boy, 10 years ...... Ouch.... Ouch

I would hope things and opinions change almost daily with every new report etc. Don't ever think things don't develop. Sometimes slow, sometimes fast but we certainly hope for change which hopefully is for the better.

Would you pay full price for new new sounder with 10 year old technology??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 5:07pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Peter,

Been enjoying your web seminars.
Good refreshers course.

Note.
Some vids I was unable to hear the questions hope you get on top of that.

In one you made mention of a swing or good numbers of fish in the western zone...Aus and NZ.

Can you elaborate as to why this is, ie; a cyclic event or other.

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 3:22am
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Mattoo.
re the questions. I can't control the Audio on the groups side. Sometimes they can't help themselves adjusting things after we get started. Yes it's a pain.

Picking whats likely in a coming season is I guess years of watching systems and currents. A lot of things we do are based on instinct. Watching or looking at current directions and speed  / power before the season gives a good indication. 

When the currents are slow not much is going to show. If the currents are fast the fish will come but it's going to be a short season, so you look for where the currents are wide and medium speed with hopefully a bunch of eddies.

Large weather patterns ie tropical lows can re-set that pretty quickly so picking coming seasons isn't all that accurate for the whole season and the ones I've picked over the years is more luck than anything else.

I spent quite a bit of time over the years with native fishermen in the pacific islands who either know the stuff handed down or starve. Observation is a pretty important part of catching fish :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 8:42am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Peter Pakula Peter Pakula wrote:

Jakepitsville,

Boy, 10 years ...... Ouch.... Ouch

I would hope things and opinions change almost daily with every new report etc. Don't ever think things don't develop. Sometimes slow, sometimes fast but we certainly hope for change which hopefully is for the better.

Would you pay full price for new new sounder with 10 year old technology??

But I thought you turn your sounder and GPS off when you hunt gamefish Pete? LOLLOLClown
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:47am
Platinum
Platinum

Yes, that hasn't changed. I still don't use a sounder in tournaments, but have always used GPS.
Page  <12