Tow wagon for 3.5T Boat

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 1:26pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

It's interesting that a number of the TV fishing shows use sponsored utes to tow vessels at the heavy end of the recreational market quite long distances. Ados, Big Angry Fish, Fishing & Adventure. Not sure about Matt W.
Wonder how they go at fitting into the weight and licencing restrictions mentioned above?

They probably just have a class 2 licence, it's not difficult or that expensive to do.  Lots of places advertise courses for a few days to get you one.

Out of curiosity anyone ever heard of the police pulling people with large boats over to check their licence? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 3:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Out of curiosity anyone ever heard of the police pulling people with large boats over to check their licence? 

Yes
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 4:28pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is indeed pressure on our 3.5 towing fleet.
They are undermatched in the ability to properly handle the mass.
Even with my weighty old landcruiser I'm always aware of my limitations.
Still I know I'm right up there.
The jump here is into the American market for sure.
There just awkward.
Though I noticed there jap imports are of a different category, maybe we need someone to start importing those..
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 4:45pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you have deep enough pockets this ought to solve just about any towing problem you have.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 5:02pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not sure I like your suggestion Kevin.

I'd have to sell the boat to buy the truck.
That's a catch 22 I can't manage.

But it's the right unit for sure.
Parking might be an issue, can't imagine the fuel costs let alone the rucs 😂.
I'd like one for sure.
Come on bonus bonds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 5:52pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those big yank tanks have the grunt to do the job, the rest are boys doing a mans job.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 7:14pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree feeder,
Its to big to park in Auck.
Those are the toys I'd like to play with.

Let's increase our living wage to $ 50 US an hour.

I can use that tool then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 7:50am
HuntGatherRepeat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers for all of the feedback. Went on a few test drives and ended up with a 200 series cruiser. Will be sitting my class 2 in a few weeks just to be safe. Figure why not, it's relatively inexpensive and have a mate with a truck to practice on.

Spoke to NZTA in depth and the hard and fast rules, without too much legalese for a class 1 the total weight combined cannot breach 6,000kgs as weighed, the GVM of the tow vehicle which includes tongue weight cannot breach the GVM tagged to the vehicle.

Have been dragging around a few larger boats and it's just a different world the a ute. I don't see myself ever going back to the ute style tow wagon unless it got crazy and had a fifth wheel or something. The US ute's are just too big to have any practicality here, especially the drive time without having a trailer hooked up. Have to use the caravan parking at countdown just to get a litre of milk. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 7:55am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was living in Colorado when the big diesel pickups started to happen. My old rancher mate got the dodge ram with the big Cummins in a dually. He was very keen for me to drive it and I knew something was up in terms of why. When we came into his yard he said leave it in second and just brake as you turn in so I did. The governor or whatever kicks in and kind of pushes you through the brakes and into the yard. Gives you a surprise. Grunt upon grunt. He towed his small bulldozer on a gooseneck trailer with ease. I am out of date though, this was years ago now. Hell of an outfit...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 9:00pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been there done that.

I’m in Aussie with a ATM 3.5 tonne caravan. Need to tow in sand and rivers etc.
The vehicle they call the King Of the Road is the landcruiser 200 series. I have the GXL - has more payload than a Sahara and Altitude etc as they have more features.

The GXL has 725kg pay load and I paid $3k to add another 350KG to the GVM with 2+ inch rise and Kevlar sleeved airbags.

My total GCM is 6820KG. The next biggest vehicle up is the F150 or 250 or 350KG read $180k to $280k also the Dodge Ram.

I wanted something that was capable in the rough and the landcruiser is the best vehicle in Aussie hands down as judged by every one.

Also with it’s weight it is less prone to sway - I have ESS that stops sway via electronic braking if it happens but it hasn’t and I dont expect it to from the people I have talked too who have lapped Australia 1-3 times with a heavy load and a Landcruiser 200 series. - goes for 80 and 100 series also but again a 100 series can go as high as $228k

I have a boat on my roof also. This GXL 2013 just roars and claws its way anywhere so far. I went away from V8s years ago as they are slow compared to lighter vehicles re spread - BUT V8 twin turbo has made me a fan again just on power alone.

BEAST....
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 9:49pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by HuntGatherRepeat HuntGatherRepeat wrote:

Cheers for all of the feedback. Went on a few test drives and ended up with a 200 series cruiser. Will be sitting my class 2 in a few weeks just to be safe. Figure why not, it's relatively inexpensive and have a mate with a truck to practice on.

Spoke to NZTA in depth and the hard and fast rules, without too much legalese for a class 1 the total weight combined cannot breach 6,000kgs as weighed, the GVM of the tow vehicle which includes tongue weight cannot breach the GVM tagged to the vehicle.

Have been dragging around a few larger boats and it's just a different world the a ute. I don't see myself ever going back to the ute style tow wagon unless it got crazy and had a fifth wheel or something. The US ute's are just too big to have any practicality here, especially the drive time without having a trailer hooked up. Have to use the caravan parking at countdown just to get a litre of milk. 

you should consider a transmission reprogram for your 'Cruiser. 

in standard form it is far too eager to kick down at the mere sniff of an incline - 

check out 'Stock Lock' auto tranny locker - absolutely transformational to the cars behaviour - and will make you realise how much lowdown potential that v8 has which no one ever makes use of.
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 11:12pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Interesting post for me.
I have an old 80 series landcruiser.
Gets the boat everywhere.
Though recent trip to waihau showed a true lack of comfort and leg room for three and gear.

I drove 6000km straight only stopping for gas and food taking turns with the ex driving my 3T off glass boat with my 80 series which had near 200kkm on it. It didnt show any sign of over heating, all it did that I didnt like was chew through the 120l fuel tanks like it was water. Got me a bit worried on a Nullarbor in 46 degree heat rofl. Was 4000 model so the petrol was not a cheap gig.

But they drive like a car and if you dont drive like a hoon arent that bad on gas. 

Guys in OZ do 1M kms in them no prob. 

Would a Raptor F150 v8 get the job done? :-p We wish.

I did get a 100 series but I honestly didnt get any joy aside from the 8 in it. The 80 series are a great wagon on the cheap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 7:57am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

I had an XLT Ranger for 3 years and it towed my 237 Billfisher (around 3t) like a dream. I had an old 80 series cruiser before that and it was a big step up. I looked at a newer cruiser before buying the ranger but it
Was 15 years old with 200 km on the clock and they were wanting 2k less than a new ranger. Just upgraded the ranger to a new one with 5 year or 150,000km warranty. Had to shop around as there was a $6k difference
between what dealers would give me for a trade in on my 2016 ranger. I do a lot of km’s towing long distance over the summer and can’t fault the ranger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 9:13am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nobody can fault the Rangers these days. NZ's number 1 selling ute overtaking the hilux a few years back.

Probably the only beast that can fault is the one I listed, The Ford Raptor 4wd f150. What a dream car. but price OUCH, along with the cost of petrol of the 8. I know how bad the 6 was in the 80 series in petrol, that was 4000cc, isnt the f150 5.9l?

Either way it would make the boss tow wagon for anything seriouly heavy. I think it tows up to 11500lb.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 5:28pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Perhaps FizFisho you should come visit the automotive workshop where my depot is, 4 rangers in there in the last 2 months, 2 with dropped pistons, 2 with heater hose failures leading to engine failure, the proprietors advice is, if you own a ranger make sure you flick it before the warranty runs out.
I'm sure there is a similar story for all the other utes on the road, you hope you don't get a lemon.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 7:27pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Check the rail pressure on ranger/ Nissan / vw etc compared to the rail pressure on a Toyota....
Google it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Penty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 7:53pm
Penty View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by feeder feeder wrote:

Perhaps FizFisho you should come visit the automotive workshop where my depot is, 4 rangers in there in the last 2 months, 2 with dropped pistons, 2 with heater hose failures leading to engine failure, the proprietors advice is, if you own a ranger make sure you flick it before the warranty runs out.
I'm sure there is a similar story for all the other utes on the road, you hope you don't get a lemon.

Cheers

Have heard anecdotally from a pretty reliable source (Ford Dealer) that a scary % of the new utes they sell never get serviced pre 60kms...

His logic was basically they own the vehicle on tick/mortgage during the warranty period 1) don't care long term 2)$600-$800 for servicing isn't budgeted for and 3) they trade up on a new model before warranty. All in all it is effectively a very expensive operating lease but who cares your fake rich... 

Be very careful of any brand of ute that you has a less than detailed serviced history regardless of breed. You will find common issues of every brand all over the net.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 6:00am
HuntGatherRepeat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The 2015 BT50 that I replaced was purchased with 50k on the clock and full dealer service records. Dropped #2 piston at 99K. 
Page  <12