lures for workups

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lures for workups
    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 11:32am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was fishing under a workup - gannets circling, some diving, and dolphins. I put down baits (whole small mackerel) on a hook on a trace under a sinker to get it down. Depth 45m. Snapper were abundant and biting well - but on the bottom and the time and effort involved was frustrating.

I haven't much experience at workups. I would prefer to use a lure - because they take the bait, and then have to wind it up and rebait and drop again which is time wasted.

I want to catch snapper, not kahawai. I want something that would get down 45m quickly. Assume a lead sinker could be used to add weight.

Anyone with experience care to advise on a good lure. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 11:59am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anything with a bit of weight, slow pitch, inchiku, kabura jigs. The last two are easier to fish, drop and wind. They will all work, but some better than others on different days. It's hard to say an ideal weight. Something fast enough to get through the kahawai, but not so big/heavy that it's unattractive to the snapper. In 45 metres, 80 or 100g wouldn't be unreasonable. You'll still catch kahawai, but hopefully the ratio of snapper will increase. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 1:01pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

I was fishing under a workup - gannets circling, some diving, and dolphins. I put down baits (whole small mackerel) on a hook on a trace under a sinker to get it down. Depth 45m. Snapper were abundant and biting well - but on the bottom and the time and effort involved was frustrating.

I haven't much experience at workups. I would prefer to use a lure - because they take the bait, and then have to wind it up and rebait and drop again which is time wasted.

I want to catch snapper, not kahawai. I want something that would get down 45m quickly. Assume a lead sinker could be used to add weight.

Anyone with experience care to advise on a good lure. 

Lots of questions here, i own a jigging tackle online store so jigs and softbaits are  all i have used for years.
Where there is a lot of current, it pays to use heavier jigs , say 100-200g in 50m, also adds to the fact that you will know that you are on the bottom because that normally is where the snapper are(there are exceptions of course)
 Inchiku jigs and kabura sliders are normally used as they are easy to use and they work well. Orange would be best colour, closely followed by Pink, Blue, Green.
Micro jigs and softbaits work well but you need a more experienced fisherman to work these in deep water but they are deadly at times when fish are "picky" on the bite.
Hope this helps
Kevin
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 1:03pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

ps,  kahawaii school up so if you start catching them, just move away a bit from the school which is normally preety easy to see on your sounder.
Snapper sign is normally pretty hard on the bottom on your sounder and kahawaii more mid water and in bigger schools so pretty easy to see the difference

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 1:21pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Old school Lethal lures or grim reaper are made for this style of fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:13pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yip, from what I understand the evolution of work up fishing in the Gulf etc (generalising):
  • started with those tail weighted or knife style jigs in the '80s, with the hook attached to the 'bottom' of the lure
  • then braid came into common use and there was an era of big softbaits on elevator style weighted heads
  • then the 'slow' jigs, Lucanus and inchikus
  • then 'kaburas'
  • 'slow pitch' and also micro jigs...and finally
  • back to knife jig profiles, which now tend to have an assist style hook from the top eye
  •  Of course some of this was based on the manufacturers' need to sell the latest craze, but also based on local distributors getting hold of Japanese innovations as they came about. I remember going on a work-up charter with Diversity about 10 years ago. Walk on customers were given mono with heavy sinkers and pillies, which caught fish no problem, but one bite and you had to wind up with either a fish or no bait; while regulars brought their own rods with a mix of big softbaits on Cyclops heads - Gulp 6.5" Grub was a favourite.  The next time I went on a charter with Wave Dancer, it was all about the inchiku - every rod had one on it. Now most charters would start with a kabura for clients, but anecdotally the bigger fish often get caught on inchikus or knife jigs. 
  • most people use overhead, but there are some who like spin gear (fastest drop)