Days off

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Days off
    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 9:46am
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had to get out this week to check out the action close to home. Apart from the constant need to be fishing, I like to keep my eye on what's happening when I don't have charters and update the charts with the Garmin quick draw.
Left Sandspit late on Tuesday. As soon as the tide started to turn, the birds appeared and worked the bait. Plenty of snapper underneath but after several casts the fish finder said cast a stickbait and sure enough..... 

Great fight on the light stickbait gear in 20m and more fish than I need so it went back after a quick weigh in the sling. A nice fish inshore as the smaller ones are thinning out. Lots of them over Great Barrier way at the moment!

After that it was softbait fishing until dark. No big ones hooked on this trip but some respectable kelpies were sent back after a quick pic. Bruised banana got this one but redbone got the most attention followed by smokey shad then BB. Happy days Big smile

www.northsideadventures.co.nz
www.facebook.com/northsideadventures
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:27am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 7:14pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Missed seeing this earlier for some reason, great work Jonathan.
Glad that you're able to mix chartering with some enjoyment fishing for yourself.
those are both beauties!  

Interesting re the softbait colours. Given what you get to see on your charters, what's your conclusion re how important colour is on a given day? 
I must admit i tend to stick with what worked on previous trips, which I guess a statistician would say is 'past success bias'. If I'm not getting takes, i tend to tell myself there aren't fish there, rather than they rejected the softbait I was using due to colour. Maybe I need to mix it up more...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 1:16pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think colour makes a difference - some of the lures also have UV properties and lumo which could be more of a factor. BTW those midnight oils have been good, thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 3:50pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice fish mate, good to see you still getting a bit of fishing in as well as chartersThumbs Up
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 4:57pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some great fish there JWClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 2:47pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks. It's been fun so far. Was worried I might have to take up golf or something but I just want to go fishing even moreBig smile. Looking forward to tomorrows trip hunting for work ups.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 3:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Very nice JW
Best gurnard fisherman in my street