Rock Fishing Help!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock Fishing Help!
    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 2:22pm
Kiwis View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So I've fished most my life, when I can I get on a boat with great success.
My issue is, I've gone rock fishing over 50 times and almost never had any luck. 

So first of all. I'm in Auckland (north). 

Here are my questions, feel free to answer any or all.

1. Is Burley a must have, I've tried with an without it with no difference in fishing
2. Incoming, Outgoing or changing tide
3. Any time of day
4. Weather: clear, windy, overcast?
5. Auckland's east coast is rocky, to avoid snags, cast from beach or use a float and drop the line. Without a weight you can't cast very far.
6. Fresh or Soft bait
7. Hook size, I've used 5's

I've gone all over the Whangapora Peninsula, I've caught more snags that bites. 

Is the area bad, is there somewhere better I can go. Any jetty's that get you out past the rocks even if I go further north slightly?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 4:04pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi K

This vid I put together may help you a little - the area you have mentioned is a prime place to catch good fish you just have to learn when and where to fish it.....

You basically don't want to use any weight to maybe 1/2oz ball the heaviest - off the beach down the side of rocks is great at the right time etc.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 4:05pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Also a bit more info which may help you Smile

Tight lines 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 4:29pm
Kiwis View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks, I'll go again. Maybe tomorrow.

Will use pilchards with no sinker or float and try that technique so I don't get snagged. 

Any advice on tides?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 4:56pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

black magic bait cotton is your friend. here's how I wrap them and only casting them 20m or so
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 6:24pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Low tides are great for getting out in front of snags and also being able to see spots to fish on the high. Standing on a ledge at dead low casting into waist to chest deep water early morning or late arvo.

Magic hours is the low light to dark times - overcast and a little bit of swell is great - couple days after a storm or swell fish come in and mooch around. Day fishing you want to fish somewhere quiet and preferably casting into a little deeper water but you just never know and need to have a line wet for a chance Smile

You just want to let your baits slowly drift down and once the fish have figured out there's food there they will start taking it on the drop. Once you have cast in don't pull your line around it will snag just fish with a light bow in the line you will see it move if you get bites.

If going to fish the late arvo get there couple hours before dark if you can as your bait will start to make it's own little berley as it gets smashed around by the fish. You can use berley either pallets or you can put a berley in a bucket with a bit of water and mush it up then use something to scoop up and trow it out. You can put the berley on a rope and throw it out but works a lot better with current and a bit of white water bashing it about.

But some pallets and throw a few handfuls out occasionally - https://www.fishingandleisure.co.nz/collections/berley/products/fishing-essentials-3kg-berley
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:01am
Kiwis View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I'm very appreciative of it.

On a good day, how much luck do you have rock fishing.

My ultimate goal is to get myself a small boat but that'll be a few years away so in the meantime I'm wondering if a kayak is worth the investment....

Obviously the joy of fishing is the unknown, but if you're spending 4-6 hours to get one snapper 2 times out of 3 then it becomes a bit hard.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 5:42pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

That's fishing - some days are better than others and you can fish a spot one day only getting a bite or two then another getting your limit. 

That's part of fishing you just never know unless you've got a line in.

On a good day you can catch fish the whole time being there - releasing what you can/want and keeping a few nicies. Fishing from the rocks isn't like how it use to be back in the day that's for sure - I use to fish the bays back in the early 90's with many places producing quality snapper averaging 10lb and caught a few 20lb plus.

A kayak is a great thing to have - I still have mine. Fished a few times out of it but utilised it more getting to inaccessible places for rock fishing. That's what you want more as a rock fisho, places that are hard to get to - not over fished - it's the rock fisher-mans dream.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Benny_Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 10:36pm
Benny_Boy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi K, how you get on with rock fishing for the past 1 month since your last post?

I'm also in Whangaparaoa area and having the same problem. Have been going out fishing and caught nothing but relaxation.