Southern Bluefin Tuna Updates 2019

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:20pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

BIG tuna will also hit very small lures it seems, summertime it would only likely be a skippy, alby or occasional mahi.

Marlin will quite happily go through a pattern of bigger lures to nail a 3 or 4 inch skippy lure at the back of the boat, so always run your skippy lures on an outfit than can at least give you a fighting chance when this happens.
[/QUOTE]

Ask Matt what eats skippe lures ! LOL he had a black a year or so back - landed it to, more due to light line angling skill rather then line wright and capacity
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:29pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

BIG tuna will also hit very small lures it seems, summertime it would only likely be a skippy, alby or occasional mahi.

Marlin will quite happily go through a pattern of bigger lures to nail a 3 or 4 inch skippy lure at the back of the boat, so always run your skippy lures on an outfit than can at least give you a fighting chance when this happens.

Ask Matt what eats skippe lures ! LOL he had a black a year or so back - landed it to, more due to light line angling skill rather then line weightand capacity
[/QUOTE]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 6:00pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Too true, we had a full spread of lures out and this black came in and smashed the albie lure. I still tell my mate I was thinking about cutting the line as we would have no chance of landing it. We landed it, and learnt a lot about using drag, line belly, and fish was 10 to 1 ratio.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 4:54pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I could not of landed that fish without a top crew, first mate and excellent skipper.
Rolled into one that's Ynot.
Great experience thanks Geoff.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 4:36pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hoping this works.
PEI Blue fin tuna,
The beginning of the comeback and an interview with Peter P.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phzIOzw0Q14
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 6:22pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep it worked Mat,

Cool info and developments from 2011, I wonder how the tuna are fairing there today?

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 7:01pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I believe the fishery is quite healthy for fish, charter, commercial and tourism.

Tony Orton is a regular up there.
It would be great dor his input here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote anarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 7:03am
anarchy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Managed a nice Eater on Wednesday (nice redemption after losing two èarlier in the season)

Water was the fishiest I've ever seen it down there full of birds bait and seals

Fish was in 1150m east of sea valley was one of 3 caught there and two lost Wednesday morning ( that I heard of anyway )
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 8:40am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good to get an earned result.
And yum yum.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 9:04am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done on the BFT Mike, what weight did it go?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 1:27pm
anarchy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Vance just a little fulla at 44kg but tasted awesome
There was only about 10 boats out so pretty good fishing think there were around 8 - 10 hooked / landed or lost
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 1:46pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Any SBT is a goodie, and that was quite a good hook up rate too..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 3:00pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Guys,

I'm curious - when trolling for SBT, how far back are you setting lures? Which spot in the spread seems to be preferred?

Also - do you find that hook ups are more frequent when running down current, across the wind, east to west / north to south or any combination of the above!

Cheers
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote anarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 3:28pm
anarchy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey speedy we setting about 3 waves further back than we do for marlin best spots for us are long rigger and shotgun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 9:12am
Platinum
Platinum

we hooked ours while resetting lures doing 4 knotts - fluro carbon traces - I wonder if there is anything in the yanks who troll alot slower for these guys then us.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 8:39pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Slightly off topic maybe ?

Thoughts please... On where the SBT come from that head to Waihau Bay at this time of the year and where do they go after being there ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 6:30pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Southern bluefin tuna consist of a single stock primarily distributed between 30ºS and 45ºS, which is only known to spawn in the Indian Ocean south of Java. Adults are broadly distributed in the South Atlantic, Indian and western South Pacific Oceans, especially in temperate latitudes while juveniles occur along the continental shelf of Western and South Australia and in high seas areas of the Indian Ocean. Southern bluefin tuna caught in the New Zealand EEZ appear to represent the easternmost extent of a stock whose centre is in the Indian Ocean.

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Page  <123