Southern Bluefin Tuna Updates 2019

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:41pm
seawolf View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Great fish, nice line weight result.

Where is sea valley?
go on fish grid waihau bay grid and theres a big chunk out of the 1000meter contour in aa smartfuels area. we call it the runaway seavalley dont know if it has any other names? fish all round it the other day! can be hot in the summer aswell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:45pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done and great looking fish you lot.

Mattoo - on ya fella. You'll never die wondering!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:04pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Seawolf.
Trying to build that picture when conversation happens and your unsure of area terms.

Appreciated Salty.

There's a definetly an air of experienced fisherman down there.
Fantastic boats large and small with what I thought were clearly experienced fisherman, skippers and crews. And some tolerance to newcomers which was greatly appreciated from our group.
My crew made efforts of Koha, I believe that is the right term to many they met.
I was very humbled with the generosity of spirit from both sides.

Not sure this is a place locals or regulars suffer fools, The sea and coast certainly wouldn't.

Another outstanding environment in our country that has seared my memory with a great expierence yet again.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:43pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

First time to waihau and second day fishing for them.
Second to last fish on my list now, one to go.

Well done Mattoo, always nice to tick another species off the list. What is the last?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 12:16pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done fellas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:22pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks,
Sword.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:42pm
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We were down as well fishing Saturday, first time ever. Went out Friday night and slept in bay, and headed out.  Got our first Bluefin, a smaller model at around 40kg estimate   :)

Got smoked by a bigger model coz some fool put out a lighter rod with a little alba lure on it, that something bigger hit..........    No comments on who that fool was.

Lesson learnt.

Our bluefin also caught on a D shackle, not in karma though. More a yellow black jobby.  Loved the trip, but F me, its a long way from Auckland  :)

I always tell the truth about things that never happened
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 7:45am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So here's the yarn  Matt

My wife and I just had new baby last Thursday. She decided she wanted to recharge and wanted some space to chill with my new son! So sent the 5 year old to a friends (Thanks Rach) and said to me GO FISHING! Go fishing she said Ok? To rough here so I'm off to Waihau.

A ring around lured Club member and good friend Aaron Mcloy and another few phone calls and Matthew Hemingway from Auckland was IN!  It was his weapon of a boat we would be on. A fantastic 7.5 southern called A Salt Weapon. The plan - Finish work and home by 7pm pick up Aaron 8pm meet Matt after midnight and drive through the wee hours, a total of 12 hours - to fish the mighty Waihau. We had many hours to plan and prep and tried really hard but unfortunately Nothing 1st day.

I rang around and Spoke to a Commercial skipper who gave me some info and we got halfway close to his Mark's we realised we are also very close to a zone from Paul oceanSST (the man)so we headed more that way.  I ducked in for a sleep but not for long as the boys were getting excited!    Whammo huge tuna smashing holes in water, dolphins following everywhere and gannets, surely surly we would be on!

We had a rigger pop and Aaron and I paper rocked scissored to see who had the first strike, I lost so Aaron was on the rod - Matt was yelling at us to clear gear and all in all we felt abit rusty after chasing swords, anyways that wee issue lasted for 20 minutes after what we thought was a bluefin was sorted. 

Aaron was then helming us away at 4 knots and we had no idea where the work up had gone, Matt set the short rigger back r when it popped, I saw the rod buckle then straighten - ill never forget the momentary look of surprise and bewilderment from Matt when that rigger popped and Im yelling Fish on, suddenly the situation took hold and we have a fish  YUSS we have a fish on.  As there was not much gear to clear things happened pretty quickly - one thing I remember is that it was lucky times for me as it was my turn on the rod and it was the Talica my wife brought for me  and wow it went from unloading line like a marloon does to stepping up and sounding like R2D2 on speed!  woohoo!!!   As this was our first fish for the trip and the boat we went pretty gently gently on it, with some fabulous communication between Matt and Aaron we had the fish on the surface I was calling it 30kg but the boys were nah bigger then that soon the gaffs went in, total time of about 30 mins - Boy are we so so happy  IM yelling at the top of my lungs, Aarons smile is liek Guy smileys and not leaving and Matt has his first game fish and a bucket list fish for us all. We weighed the fish dressed (gutted/gilled/iced and it went 44.5kg. Not sure how heavy it would have been green but from what some other lad have said they suggested add 10kg.  The rest of the day passed uneventfully and after a few quiet rums and a sleep and long  trip back to Auckland, clean boat then back to Kaitaia!   

From bottom of my heart thank you Casey as I had written off the BFT season, without you kicking me out of the house to recharge this would have never happened!   Thank you Aaron - boss as ever, Thank you Matt fabulous skipper and boat and most of all

THANK YOU Waihau!! You turned it on as always!

Some pics of our adventure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 8:29am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very well done Jake, Matt and AaronClapClapClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 5:01pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done team, great effort.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 7:44pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Guys
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:27pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by sid fishus sid fishus wrote:

We were down as well fishing Saturday, first time ever. Went out Friday night and slept in bay, and headed out.  Got our first Bluefin, a smaller model at around 40kg estimate   :)

Got smoked by a bigger model coz some fool put out a lighter rod with a little alba lure on it, that something bigger hit..........    No comments on who that fool was.

Lesson learnt.

Our bluefin also caught on a D shackle, not in karma though. More a yellow black jobby.  Loved the trip, but F me, its a long way from Auckland  :)

Sad you had to learn a lesson the hard way.
A lure may be small but make sure a decent leader/line weight and rod to land a marlin or in this case a SBT!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 4:26pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great Read and result guysThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 9:03am
Platinum
Platinum

Yep, lots of lessons learnt, including making sure to tell inexperienced crew not to touch the drag settings unless told to by the skipper.

Line was emptying fast off the spool and I was turning boat around to chase when the mainline parted.

Basically because the spool had got low and my crew worried about it and responded by tightening the drag UP........    Ouch  Thinking that would slow the run of the fish.    Rookie mistake.

So combination of tightened drag and low spool level meant.....  

stripped the remainder of the line off the reel last night there was still 80m on the reel.....  so we  still had a chance.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 4:43pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh that's a bugger.

Out of interest what was the line weight and spool capacity.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 8:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

Was PE4 braid, and 2000 size overhead, so would have had close 275m ish on the spool. Probably had 50m out or so, as was running the lure out the back.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 12:30pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would say a 15kgmono set up of a TLD 25 would give you a better shot
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 6:13pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sid fishus - you are really asking for trouble with a rig like that, all you need is for the fish to go deep on a long run and you have real problems.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 8:33pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Sid fishus - you are really asking for trouble with a rig like that, all you need is for the fish to go deep on a long run and you have real problems.

yep yep agreed, which is why I said 'some fool put it out'   SmileSmile

BIG tuna will also hit very small lures it seems, summertime it would only likely be a skippy, alby or occasional mahi.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 7:34am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

BIG tuna will also hit very small lures it seems, summertime it would only likely be a skippy, alby or occasional mahi.

[/QUOTE]

Marlin will quite happily go through a pattern of bigger lures to nail a 3 or 4 inch skippy lure at the back of the boat, so always run your skippy lures on an outfit than can at least give you a fighting chance when this happens.
Page  <123>