Mitchell Conolon Companion Spiraflex Rods

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mitchell Conolon Companion Spiraflex Rods
    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 9:00pm
Ryder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place.
Based in Sydney, I'm a bit of a rod collector. Just recently I have come across a few Mitchell Conolon Companion Spiraflex. Model numbers include 61:132. 11ft. 62:126. 10ft6 and a 41:108. 9ft.
I take it that the second number is length in inches, but what does the first number represent?
What era are they? Painted olive green /brown, the blank underneath is reddish. All wire guides.
I have been told they may have come out of the Kilwell factory.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 9:35pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Ryder. Kilwell made their Conlon Spiralled Power Glass Custom Line series during the '70s, certainly between 1972 and 1976. The rods that I have are painted brown with yellow bindings. The 61 series were their Customline Surf Rods and the 62 series were their Customline Light Surf & Salmon Rods. I don't have the rod codes that you have identified in my old Kilwell catalogues. At this stage, I can't find a 41 series of rods. Hope this helps. Cheers from the other side of the ditch.
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 9:38pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That should read Spiraflex. Bloody spell check over ride. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 10:26pm
Ryder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Mudfish, that's absolute gold. Confirms my ideas, I thought the 61 and 62 might be surf rods.
I have posted the same on a US forum.
http://www.mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=6140&sid=b12c61000273ef9fd232f7df10cfea42
They love their Mitchell Conolon gear but didn't know rods were being produced in New Zealand.