Toyota 1KZ-TE?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toyota 1KZ-TE?
    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 10:29am
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey folks,
I'm looking at a newer boat, with an approximate 1100/1200 kg trailer weight. I currently have a 2006 Subaru Outback (2.5lt), which I believe will be insufficient.

I have started looking at older (1996-2001) Toyota Surfs and Prados. I know the 1KZ has a reputation for cracking heads, but is this because people don't maintain the coolant system and/or attempting to tow too heavy a load for the 1KZ?

All my current options are fitted with intercoolers and I don't mind fitting a straight through exhaust to manage engine temps.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 6:25pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I thought the outback would easily do the job
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 10:58am
Platinum
Platinum

You reckon? even for a big tow?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 5:17pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you're looking to tow any distance and stay legal then for that weight youprobably need a braked trailer unless you go for a more suitable vehicle. AA have some tow rating charts that suggest for Outback  750 unbraked, 1500 braked. If you're not going too far or fast you will probably be ok. 
Same comment for the Toyotas you mention, you have to check the rating.
Brakes on a trailer can be a pain to maintain though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 6:21pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a Toyota surf 3l turbo diesel for near on ten years, brilliant wagon....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 8:19pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lots of Prado fans on the forum, if you've seen the utes v SUV debates you'll know what I mean. When I sat in a Surf I found it too small for my height, so I went with an SR5. But I had a mate who rated his Surf. 

I recommend you spend a few bucks on buying the relevant model chapters of the Dog & Lemon Guide: Hilux Surf under H (although it doesn't list one past 1996 - only in the Hilux review section after 97, and Prado under P. Maybe other vehicles you've considered as well.

The guy who does these has a bit of a Trump-like ego on roading and car matters, but it's useful to see some stuff on older vehicles and what to look out for mechanically.with particular models.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:57pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a '97 Surf. Great vehicle but was very aware it had an Achilles heal in terms of cooling / head cracking. 

Against my advice, my son bought one slightly older and it shat itself over Xmas. $4.5k later it now seems to be running ok.

They are getting old so I'd probably be looking for one which has had all the work done as opposed to one that's 20 years old.

Failing that the same sort of money would get you a pretty decent Commodore. No 4WD but it'd be a lot more modern.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 3:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for all the input guys - definitely keen on a diesel. The big tow is really going to be from Auckland to Nelson, after that it will be more limited around the top of the south. Ive read a lot about the generation 3 forerunners/surfs and the feedback is generally positive, I do wonder about forking out a few more grand for a modern santa fe or something is a smarter option.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 5:20pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just to chip in.
Id say go a bit more modern the extra power the newer vehicles produce make towing so much nicer.. But as for the santa fe idea. Tops on the road but launching on any form of beach.. It gets sketchy fast. Toy 4wds (family did 30000kms purely towing with a 2006 santa fe elite and had a fair share of beach launches) from a different point of view.
Dad went to a 2012 audi q3 2l turbo diesel.
Considerably better at towing and launching compared to the santa fe but the size difference is noticed but for the driveway at home the shorter length helps out considerably.
The audi actually has the grunt to overtake with the little lazer on the back and can do it on any incline. Where as the hyundai was just dying on the hills and if it fell between the gears (4 gears vs 7 in the audi) it was a slow pig.

Goodluck on the choices. I myself if in your shoes would consider just going for a modern ute unless the length matters.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 9:08pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

These days the old Toyotas still demand ridiculous prices. Not really worth it in my opinion - a few thousand more will buy you a much more modern vehicle that is a lot more comfortable as a general drive and far less of a slug on the road.

And this is coming from someone who owned and loved an early Surf.

EDIT: If you aren't going to be towing far (other than the one big tow south) consider a petrol vehicle. They cost way less to purchase, and a big petrol motor will still haul that weight no problem. The 5VZ-FE (3.4 petrol V6) of the equivalent Surf/Prado of that era is a great motor, thirsty as you would expect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 9:39pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey guys, I'm going to chime in here also looking for a tow rig. I have been a Surf owner and yes it could comfortably tow the 5.6m ramco but looking for recommendations on something newer. I see the Sante Fey was mentioned any good for my boat? 

What are you actually towing Suffix?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 8:21am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

These days the old Toyotas still demand ridiculous prices. Not really worth it in my opinion - a few thousand more will buy you a much more modern vehicle that is a lot more comfortable as a general drive and far less of a slug on the road.

And this is coming from someone who owned and loved an early Surf

I'd fully agree - I was pleasantly surprised what my '97 sold for. Don't think I've ever had a vehicle hold it's value as well but I question how long this will go on for - it'd now be over 20 years old with stuffed paint.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 12:35pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nissan Pathfinder is another good tow wagon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 5:24pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Nissan Pathfinder is another good tow wagon.

The late model ones are basically a Navara ST-X with a SUV body on it. Good vehicles, my family has owned 3 of them. Expensive when they go wrong, though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 7:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good info here, I just posted in the Briny Bar
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 8:10pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Don’t get a Nissan what ever u do....
Myself and my brother have owned these diesels and they are utter turd....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote out2sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 9:46am
out2sea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a 96 Hilux surf with the 1kz-te intercooled model. Supposedly these don't have the head cracking issue the non inter-cooled ones have as the exhaust temp is much lower.

I just did a 3 hour tow up to Marsden point and then 3 hours back for a day trip with 1.3ton ofboat and trailer on the back. The car handled it really well, the only issue with being auto the engine breaking isn't great and you have to use the brakes a lot coming down the Brynderwyn's and into dome valley.

If you did want to be really careful about the head cracking an exhaust system helps, plus Ive heard much better power range and 10% better economy whether its true or not I cant say. Also silverdale radiators do a aftermarket radiator that is twice as thick as the standard and has a lot more reserve cooling. It also has the inbuilt trans cooler so is a direct fit no modifications necessary. The only thing that I have done to mine that has made towing much better is fitting the load levelling airbags into the rear springs. 

I have a mate that has an older model ST-X Nissan for work and tows a small digger with it and doesn't rate it at all but have another mate that has the newer model Navara ST-x with the 2.3 and he loves it. He tows a 3 ton caravan and says he really has to watch his right foot because even going up steep hills with the caravan or horse float on the back he finds himself speeding all the time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 7:32am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I towed a 2 ton boat for years with a 4wd hiace van, ikz powered, up the Coromandel hills, bay of islands, so I do rate these motors. If I knew then, what I know now, it would have gained the bigger exhaust and radiator, but I had no trouble.
I have recently done the big exhaust and intercooler thing to my 99 gu patrol, and the result is power similar to a modern ute (I drive a ranger as well). So the older vehicles, with a tickle up, can be very satisfactory.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...