Surf fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surf fishing
    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 12:33pm
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not sure whether this fits in walkabout or here.
Am looking to get into surf fishing. Got a 3pc 14ft backbone elite and planning to use my rock fishing reel thunnus 8000.

Some questions:
- will the thunnus be good for casting and suited to that rod? all googling points to it being good for straylining...no mention of surf or even being matched to that rod.
- do i need a shock leader? i think not as currently has 15kg/30lb mainline but keen to be sure.

thanks in advance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 2:30pm
Silver
Silver

Hi,
Still keen on feedback please?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 4:11pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi H

Are you just surfcasting????

The rod and reel is algd for surfcasting is it the 8 or 12 Thunnus????

IF just surfcasting you can swap over to braid go 15lb can run a shock leader if you wanted to.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 5:23pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the response fishwhisperer. Love the videos btw.

Its the 8000.

The plan is to be able to switch that reel to an 7ft ugly stick when i want to go rock fishing or boat strayline. The reel currently has 15lb mono and plan on getting an extra barrel for an easy switch to braid.

Was unvestigating shock leaders. Any suggestions on good match for my rig?

Also have some 11lb fireline exceed braid spare. can i use that in the proposed set up somehow?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 6:09pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The 8000 will be swt for what you want to do and yea get an extra spool if you can if the $$$ ain't redic being Shimano - the fireline is more a softbait braid I would think - I like to use a more supple braid something that's a little more soft and not so wire like.

Not to sure on shock leaders as I don't personally use them but you could look at something like the below

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 6:15pm
Silver
Silver

Ok cheers.

Getting the spool on sale so not too painful.

Can you suggest a supple braid pls? Didnt realise they differences in suppleness as well as line weight.