Boat parking

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat parking
    Posted: 30 May 2019 at 9:50pm
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is there a simple way to estimate the turning circle of a boat when attached to a car or not?

i currently park my small boat down a narrow right of way onto a boat pad. the pad runs at right angles to the right of way.

Am thinking of upgrading and keen to understand what size will fit best for easy access when hitching up and not.

currently i walk my boat down if i stuff up reversing. however a bigger heavier boat may make that much harder to handle and swing into place.

i figure there will be variation based on boat size, trailer size, axle location.

so far i have measured and got dimensions of the r.o.w., pad and boat trailers for models under consideration.
have even considered borrowing a mates boat to check.

thoughts please?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spear-time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 9:57pm
Spear-time View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I imagine it would be quite tricky to work out for sure without trying.
have had experience with a motorized trailer dolly and they really are worth there weight in gold if trying to get into a tight spot. Have used it with a 7m glass boat, on a small slope which is concrete
life begins where land ends
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 5:25am
Silver
Silver

thanks Speartime. I have looked into those motorised Dolly’s. Was is electric or petrol? Wondering about the battery being another thing to charge and running the petrol one regularly to keep fuel fresh and parts turning over.

The hardest part is how to buy a new boat when you aren’t sure it will fit?

Maybe mark out lines on a car park nearby?!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 7:27am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Depending on tow vehicle.fit a tow ball on the front?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:35am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1st what is a bigger boat?
And will it be duel axle?

Duel axle is a pig to turn, be it front or real mounted hitch.
 We had similar issues at our last home..a 7 point turn IF hit each of the markers dead right...
 Markers are paint marks on drive and on the grass a weed killer line couple inches wide you can follow with the trailer on the side easiest to see.
 Get wrong and got messy.
Current home, there is no way to clear fences decks house.

Last home we hung on the little digger, put a hitch on the bobcat.. eventually picked up a little 14hp (?) yamma tractor for $150 on trademe.

Now to get a duel axle to turn well, we increased the height of the hitch on the yamma so the front wheels where just touching.. this effectively made it a single axle, and with weight further back manover around tight cnrs rather easy.

Also since a well balance duel axle trailer will have a little more weight on the front axle.. this will have a slight wheel alignment tow in to steer straight
 The rear axle will have a slight tow out.. (tow in in reverse)which makes the trailer steer well in reverse.

We have tried several  4x motor bikes.. they just dont quite have the tyre grip, even messing with pressures water etc once getting gross weight up around 1000kg plus

End of the day thu.. its a matter of giving it a go...
 We found when looking at boats..( and new tow vehicles, demos) we where quite welcome to give it a go.

So to your initial question

Is there a simple way to estimate the turning circle of a boat when attached to a car or not?
 I believe there is , sorta.. but given the parameters of 
1/ distance on tow vehicle rear axle to hitch.. and it is dead square
2/ height of the hitch
3/ distance from trailer hitch to axles(s)
 The distance between trailer wheels
 4/ the distance between the axles.
5/ the over hang behind the rear axle to tip of motor clearance
 6/the tow in on each of the axles
 7/That the axles are exactly square.. set up right and NEVER hit a big pot hole or clipped a curb

Ours (7/) when unloaded bloody hooks to the right in reverse down the ramp.. bloody pain... and slightly when loaded reversing up a long drive.. but easy controlled.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 7:45pm
Silver
Silver

thanks for the idea. must admit prefer a trolly but the key challenge is the sizing rather than movement.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 7:51pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks Steps. bigger for us is 5.5m....likely single axle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 8:28am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We where/ are 5.5 dual axle.. would and still do, have loved to go to 6m.

Just a side knot what type of 5.5m?
 reason I ask is weight on tyres.
 Having duel axle my tyre rating at just below max pressure enables us to still tow in spec if blow out 2 tyres
 (one each side of coarse Wink )
Glass cabin boats around the 5.5m hull length be they rayglass, buccaneers or even old commanders all weigh much the same on the water, but latter slightly more on trailer being a keel trailer. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spear-time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 3:33pm
Spear-time View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

sorry for late reply, forgot where this thread wasBig smile.
The dolly was electric, only year and a half old and no issues yet. do put on charge for a day after each use, but don't imagine that's required.

If you were looking at 5.5m alloy and moving on concrete pad thats flat, i would say it would be alright to move with 2 people by hand, definately want single axle thou.

If interested in a boat i'm sure that yard or seller would be more than happy for you to try and park it at home
life begins where land ends
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 12:27pm
Silver
Silver

all good, thanks spear-time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 6:17am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Drop the mates boat into the drink take the empty trailer. Have a few of you around and if its not quite right just lift the trailer up by hand and reposition it so you don't get into a pickle?
Youll figure out if its possible and wont damage anything in the process
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 9:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You mentioned having to push if mess up the reverse.
An issue I had at the last home.. And this one. Even with the little tractor
This home is are simpler... Thu have to hit each 'mark' even the 1st can mess up the 3rd or 4th.
I can see down one side quite well, have some spots marked with marking paint.. And when hit the grass lawn, a curve marked as a narrow groove with weed killer... Then as can't see how close the motor is to the back fence... 2 cross marks appear as the trailer wheel goes back... 1st warns me close.. 2nd boat is in correct position.

Just cause someone is directing,(they tend to leave it 1/2 to 1m too late) doesn't mean they know exactly when you start to turn and where and required curve.
Marked means all others need to do is watch you don't clip the deck step or edge of the garage type stuff on your blind side
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 6:18pm
Silver
Silver

Good idea, thanks Justanotherspearo. Just the trailer would save any potential damage to boat and fences.
Steps good plan for marking turning points.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:26am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Different trailer may give a ball park indication only.
 All those variables mentioned in previous posts.. just one can make a huge difference.. the length from hitch to axle for one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 6:33pm
Silver
Silver

True Steps. Am getting a test fit with a vendor before any purchase.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 7:48am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is the area flat or on a slope?  i am an oldish man but manage a surtees 4.95 happily on near-flat: otherwise need chocks and a helper.  i would think flattish area, 5.5m, easy enough.

I had to go through this exercise some years ago when we were building/redeveloping.  Do a scale model paper cut-out of car and boat.  The car turning circle is in the specs. Sketch that out.  Then you need to do some simulated drive/unhook/turn.  Its a way to pass the time on a winters night
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 8:14am
Silver
Silver

Brmbrm its on a slight slope. Am looking at a 5.2m glass or 5.5 alloy. Current boat is easy enough by hand - 4.4m at circa 800kg. Upgrade more like 1200kg. Am thinking of one of those ratchet dollys (not motorised). Greay suggestion and scale model already done. including different boat sizes. Challenge is replicating action of axles and distances. Hence the test fit with actual boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 11:56am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

True Steps. Am getting a test fit with a vendor before any purchase.

Test on the back of your car..different vehicles, different clearance of vecclie nose when on lock, different turning due to wheel base/ axle to hitch.
 What ?i can do with our boat between our big horn, the ssangyoug , sons hilux, , m8s nissan and of coarse the tractor is quite huge.
A big one , surprisingly, not mentioned here so far, is the distance between the vehicle front wheel and front cnr,  to clear a fence or building.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 4:36pm
Silver
Silver

I actually think the turning area for the driveway wil be too tight. I currently walk boat back and hand turn. Am thinking of using the manual ratchet dolly. Finding it difficult to get reviews.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 7:04pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what about a cheap 2 wd quad with a front towball
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Page  12>