Stargazers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stargazers
    Posted: 30 May 2019 at 5:01pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just wondering if there are any fly fishers out there who have caught an estuarine stargazer. I've spent quite a lot of time scratching the bottom with charlie/clouser type flies in the estuarine areas within TAURANGA Harbour but have drawn a complete blank on this species. I've had two species of armour headed stargazers, both the giant stargazer and the spotted stargazer on fly in the harbour but never connected to an estuarine stargazer. They are quite small in comparison to the unrelated armour headed stargazers. Just keen to nail one because they are supposed to be there. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 6:38am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I think Sam Mossman got one once in Fiordland? We see them occasionally, but quite uncommon up this way. I think they get a few in Wellington. I'm sure they'd fight like something... ahh... buried in the sand?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 8:26am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a horse of one on a softbait in 20m off tairua a couple years back also got one dragging a flounder net at Matarangi - they are good eating.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 8:27am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a horse of one on a softbait in 20m off tairua a couple years back also got one dragging a flounder net at Matarangi - they are good eating.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:11am
Gold
Gold

It's the estuarine species that I have been looking for. I see the spotted stargazers sometimes when I am wading the TAURANGA flats. I stood on one a few months back, must have been half buried in the sand, the way they do. A few years ago I caught a giant stargazer in the corner pool just upstream of the Chapel Road bridge in TAURANGA. I have been told that the giant stargazers are often seen when diving in Pilot Bay. I found a half rotten one while fly fishing for kahawai last August that was over 50cm and weighed 6.25 pounds on the Boga. The spotted stargazer and the giant stargazer are Uranoscopids. And you are right Craig, they fight like a snagged piece of weed with the odd kick thrown in, even a Johnnie puts them to shame. The one I have been looking for is the Leptoscopid  estuarine stargazer Leptoscopus macropygus. Sorry for the scientific b.s., but it's the easiest way to explain it. I thought that you may have come across them while estuary fishing Craig. Thanks guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:59am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I got this ooglie in Fiordland a few months back.

No idea what it is, but someone mentioned stargazer.
Thoughts??....... Craig?

mmmmmm.......can't upload picture.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:00am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:24am
Gold
Gold

That's a jock stewart. Fishing in the sounds of Fiordland, put four bare unbaited hooks down on a ledger rig and you can catch four jocks. Very nice to eat if you can catch a big bugger. I'm probably the only unfortunate ever to appear on the cover of a fishing magazine holding a jock. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:39am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Kev, that's a jock stewart. Sometimes referred to as a 'Scottish arsehole' . Or it could be what the southerners call a 'sea perch'. The sea perch grows a bit bigger and is good eating. My guess is that one is a jockie. Hard to tell from the pic. Both species are types of scorpionfish in the genus Helicolenus.

MM Re: the stargazers. I've never seen an etuarine stargazer (macropygus). We occasionally get the little sand stargazer up this way, but it looks like the estuarine gazers are quite southern. Interesting about the giants. Seems like an unusual place to encounter one. A good tick for the species list I suppose but I suspect I'm not going to see giant stargazer on fly adventures appearing anytime soon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:54am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

is that jock stewart the same species as a scarpie
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 12:09pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 12:52pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the ID fellas.HugLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:23pm
Gold
Gold

We used to call them jock straps and when you asked anyone what they had on, the answer was always a jock with its mouth open. They must be the most common fish off the coast off Fiordland. Quite incredible that you don't need to bait a hook to catch them. Incidentally, Jaapie, did you see any butterfly tuna while in Fiordland? Your timing would have been right. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 3:33pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No mate - no butterfly tuna.

Plenty of Albacore for us and a Southern Bluefin that were just starting to show up for one of the other boats.

Heaps of crayfish and blue cod for eating and an assortment of other weird and wonderful critters to add to the fly rod tally.

Also got annihilated by the biggest sea run brown I have ever seen ....... let alone hooked.
Upwards of 20 lbs that did me around the anchor rope.

Fantastic part of the world.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 4:34pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

caught this one in manukau
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 5:20pm
Gold
Gold

Yeah, that's definitely a spotted stargazer, one of the Uranoscpids. Real interesting fish, they lie motionless half buried on the bottom and wait for whatever so come past, then linge, open their mouth and the prey is sucked in. They don't fight, but are a good challenge on the fly. Lots of blinds scratching on the bottom with a Charlie or clouser. Great to see, thanks for posting. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 5:24pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Jaapie. Unbelievable fishing in amazing scenery. In the late 70s and early 80s I had a game boat down there. Part of my life I don't regret. Cheers