Glass Rods

Page  <1 4567>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 4:42pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ok guys, looking at an Epic Bandit #10 kit. Anyone out there who owns one or has experience with the Bandit? Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 7:35am
Gold
Gold

Well, that's amazing. With the comments about the Epic Boca Grande, I thought you guys would have some comments about the Epic Bandit. I know that there is more than a few being used in NZ. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 7:57am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, as a habitual graphite / fast rod addict I would be interested to try one. I checked out some online reviews on it after reading your post and have now had my curiosity tickled. I'm typically a heavy graphite rod user (9 and up) so my ability to adapt to this sort of rod might be difficult. Hopefully I'll get the chance
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 8:06am
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the reply Craig. I've made the commitment and am ordering a kit today. My rod building skills are much like my fly tying skills, so I expect the completed rod won't look as good as the one on the Epic site. Still, performance beats looks any day. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 8:37am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looked at the 686 Dick?, might be a little lighter than the Bandit but these blanks are built tough. the 686 is a stunning blank and has been regarded by many as the best 6 weight ever made.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 8:51am
Gold
Gold

I might look at a 686 in a couple of months. I want a #10 for the big boys and I must admit to being seduced by the golden green blank. The Epic glass certainly seems to get all the ticks. Thanks Mark. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 10:54am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I’m loving my 580 epic. In the green colour really looks great especially in sunlight - trout don’t seem too fussed about it .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 4:56pm
Gold
Gold

So many rods, so little time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 2:08pm
Gold
Gold

One for Wolfie. The rod is an Airflo Ambush 6'6" #3, Leichi LD reel, unknown brand WF3F and 3 pound leader. The kahawai went 4.25 pounds and bent the less than 2 ounce rod right into the cork grip. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 3:43pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's fantastic. Must have been a heck of a fight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 3:59pm
Gold
Gold

Yeah, it's a beautiful rod. I was very lucky getting it, the last or one of the last in stock. Cameron from Manic brought it down to the Turangi Fly Festival and after a quick cast on the side of the road, the decision was made and I purchased it through Hamills in Tauranga. It has carbon fibre built into the butt to give it hoop strength. I wanted a #4 as well, but they had sold out. It is a very light #3, so a good size kahawai takes it to the very edge of its limits. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 4:43pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Beautiful fish and good capture on the 3wt , hoping to emulate that sort of result this season on my UL outfit.
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 9:18pm
Gold
Gold

While out on the flats today, I was using an 8 foot #9 Echo Bad Ass Glass Quickshot. This is a fast glass rod and would make an easy changeover for someone keen to try swoffing with glass. I'm looking forward to bending it on a king. Today it was not to be. I had one follow on a blind cast and saw a small to medium size short tail with two or three riders. The fish came out of the glare and saw me before I saw them. Cheers  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 9:33am
Gold
Gold

Went down to the beach at 0430hrs today, blowing NW, raining, so just couldn't be bothered. Walked home and got absolutely soaked. Decided to start my Epic Bandit 1080 build, so it's all go. Certainly can't complain about the quality of the components in the kit. Top marks to Carl and Adam at The Swift Fly Fishing Company. Can't wait to get it finished and put a bend in it. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 8:13pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good use of your time - getting prepped for the season ahead with a new rod to bend!
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 8:26pm
Gold
Gold

Put the final coat of epoxy on the Epic Bandit 1080 tonight. Instead of using the see through silk bindings, I chose to use yellow Fuji nylon thread. Looks really good on the greenish gold blank. Can't wait to put a bend in it. Good stuff. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 5:42am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sounds good Dick. Be great to see some pics of finished product
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 7:00am
Gold
Gold

Will do Craig. The Bandit spent the night rotating on the rod dryer. Hard to resist the temptation to touch the epoxy on the bindings, but I will resist for another 72 hours to let it cure properly. The cork grip on the Epic is of very high quality and what we have come to expect from the Swift Fly Fishing Company in Wanaka. While the rods are expensive, the kits are a much cheaper option and allow the builder to add his or her own personal touches. My next build will be their Epic 888, an 8'8" #8, which has had excellent reviews, and would be another perfect rod for New Zealand flats fishing. That will be my December project. I am unloading a few rods to support this. I'll post some photos of the Bandit in a couple of days. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 5:56pm
Gold
Gold

Well, here it is, the Epic Bandit 1080. Instead of tying with silk to give the see through look, I chose to use Fuji nylon rod building thread. My rod building skills are like my fly tying skills, not professional, but functional. I can't wait to bend it on a big king. The build was a lot of fun and all the components are top quality. If you are keen to give it a go, visit  the Epic website and take a look at the kits that are available, from #3 to #12. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 6:02pm
Gold
Gold

The photo turned out a lot lighter than in real life, but no problem, hopefully you will more photos of it alongside a bar of chrome, a turquoise back, a bronze stripe and a yellow propeller. Cheers
Page  <1 4567>