Glass Rods

Page  <1 34567>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 5:29pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Fraser. Love the Waiau, but man it can be a slippery exercise wading at times. I know I could and probably should go heavier but it's the challenges that keep me interested. It's quite surprising how much pressure you can put on 3 pound and 4 pound leaders. Most fly fishers have no idea how much bend it takes to break a leader. This is especially important with flats kings if you want quick captures and healthy fish to release. If you get the chance, check out the DVD Chasing Silver. Andy Mill explains it for tarpon fishing and it's the same with kings. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:02pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh yeah, that's a few years old that movie now. I remember watching it back in the mid 2000's.

Yeh don't worry IV always preached that people test the limits of their tackle on a good days fishing, when you're landing plenty of fish. It's helped me out many times in years past.

Last season, I hooked a stonking fish in a very difficult location.   I had to go hell for leather putting every last gram of pressure I could on the fish. Meanwhile I had my mates and wife screaming at me to not break the fish off.   I landed it in record time, considering how fit the fish were in that river. Il see if I can post a photo of that fish. I think my best mate was more relieved at me landing it than I was.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:17pm
Gold
Gold

Nice looking water and a big brownie equals a big smile and a happy choppy. Nice photo, the water brings back happy memories.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:16am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to see you at the Fly Fest Dick. Been meaning to ask you what reels you use on those wee sticks? Seems you'd need a bit of backing for the good sized kahawai.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:22am
Gold
Gold

Good to catch up with you too Nick, after hearing so much from our mutual friend the late Jack Murray.

In the past, I used a Sage 2230 for rod weights #1 to #3. This is a good reel, although a bit heavy on the #1 and #2 rods. Recently, I purchased a Sage Click 2, and I love using this especially on my #1 and #2 rods, and it's fine on the #3s. The necessary feathering of the spool to apply drag adds to the challenge. I also use a LeiChi LD reel, it's small, light, has a good smooth drag system, looks great and has given me no problems so far. For my #4 rods I like the two Billy Pate Trout reels, both the direct drive and anti reverse models. A bit heavy, but I love using them. (cont.)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:34am
Gold
Gold

The backing on all reels has a loop large enough to pass the reel through, so I can change the lines to whatever I want to use. If I use braid backing, I don't worry about the loop cutting through the fly line loop because I only fish light leaders, usually 3 or 4 pound. I could use heavier, but I prefer light leaders, my choice.

As far as backing goes, all reels are loaded with 100 metres. I have been out over 70 metres once, but if a kahawai can reach 100 metres, it's going to keep the fly. I have landed one foul hooked eagle on the #4 with 4 pound leader, but most of these you are never going to land. They waste good fishing time too. (cont.)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:47am
Gold
Gold

With the glass rods, they are far more forgiving with the slower action and you are less likely to break a fish off with light leaders. I use a two metre leader of 3 pound or 4 pound Maxima Ultragreen. This line has a slightly thicker diameter, which I prefer, and have good stretch. The leader stretch and the softer glass rod gives me protection against sudden moves by the fish and my mistakes such as having my hand on the reel handle when the fish decides to go. I do not rest with my hand on the reel handle as this is the easiest way to break fish off. My comments and preferences aren't necessarily the right way, it's what works for me. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 1:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Mudfish marquand Mudfish marquand wrote:

The backing on all reels has a loop large enough to pass the reel through, so I can change the lines to whatever I want to use. If I use braid backing, I don't worry about the loop cutting through the fly line loop because I only fish light leaders, usually 3 or 4 pound.

I do the same Mudfish.   When I loop on saltwater lines I tend to pass the backing loop through the loop on the rear of the flyline, then turn the braid loop 180 degrees and pass the fly lineback through again.  This means that the braid is looped over the flyline twice.   Its a lot stronger and is a lot less likely to cut through the flyline.  Iv heard this method called a cats paw, but I'm not sure that, that is technically correct? 

Here is a link to the method I use.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:49pm
Gold
Gold

For small fish- trout, kahawai, flounder, etc., on light outfits, say #1 to #5, I make a loop with a bimini twist, whether it's braid, dacron or whatever. For big fish such as kingfish, snapper, trevally, skipjack, makos, etc., on line weights #6 to #17, I have a complicated system that is hard to describe. It involves doubling the braid, which is what I use for heavy stuff, passing it through a hollow dacron sheath which is held in place by a double surgeons knot, the tag loop is cut off and a bimini twist is then tied in. The whole system is then whip finished back to the loop. The loop must be big enough to pass the reel through. I then coat the whipping with Aquaseal. Cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:00pm
Gold
Gold

There will be other ways of doing it but my system works for me. With the really big fish like makos and kings, say over 20kg, it's really important to have good connections because this is generally where the system fails. This is especially so when using high breaking strain leaders, for whatever reason. My advice, for what it is worth, is to rig your tackle from fly to backing connect your fly to something, lock your reel, with your hand if necessary and walk backwards until something breaks. I know this sounds like crap, but it's the best way to find out where the weakest link is. Just make sure your leader has a breaking strength less than your fly line. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:02pm
Platinum
Platinum

HEHe Yea I used to use a similar system many years ago, chasing sailfish and such on fly, in WA.  Up in Exmouth in the gulf etc...

I have to say, i never had one come close to break, so have backed of to a more simple option as described.  That being said the likes of Nick now using these high strength core lines and reels that can put out some serious drag, it starts to become a more feasible option.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:15pm
Gold
Gold

I have broken connections on makos, as well as flylines. The worst scenario is busting the backing connection and leaving a fish dragging a fly line. For makos, I use a crap hook that will rust quickly and I squeeze the barb. I need to get a couple of heavy glass rods in the #12 to #14 class. Any suggestions? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:16pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yea that would suck.   Luckily iv never had that issue.  Worst feeling in the world knowing that a fish is swimming away with terminal tackle still attached hey? 

Oh the Swift Boca Grande is a work of art mate!  If you want a 12# glass rod, its THE rod.  My wife wants one so bad, but I told her, unless we are heading out to chase Tarpon she will have to wait. LOL

Tell them, I sent you Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:52pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like a sweet as rod that 12wt Boca grande,not a cheap option though unless you bought the kit and made it yourself.
Thoroughly enjoying the swift 580 glass rod.
Maybe if I sold my meridians I could get the Boca....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:08pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ooooh, now thats a BEAUTIFUL stick.Heart,Cool

way to pretty for this ruffian, but still a great combination of craftmenship and top end components,well done those guysThumbs Up
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 8:34am
Platinum
Platinum

Oh good point, the kit is on sale at the moment! Tongue   Pretty good price on one hell of a rod, if you dont mind assembling yourself. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 8:49am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It’s tempting at that sort of price , not really sure how easy it would be to do a good job of it though but it would save something like $700 .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 9:22am
Platinum
Platinum

They really arent that hard. Iv built 6 so far and as long as you dont rush through and follow instructions well you will be right. 

Besides even if you rush through it, the rod will still fish just great.  It just might not look quite as good close up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 6:05pm
Gold
Gold

Finished the old '60s -'70s ? Tasman Monarch 1023 #7 a couple of days ago. It cost me $10.00, the bindings were buggered, no butt cap and the varnished finish was shot. Stripped the old guides off, used CitruStrip on the shaft, treated it with Tru-Oil, new stripping guides and snakes, rebound with purple and pink Gudebrod nylon, fashioned a butt cap from a wine bottle cork and hey presto. Matched it up to an old Fin nor #2 and took it out yesterday. Was pleasantly surprised how well it cast and caught about a dozen kahawai. The old rods still work, they aren't carbon , so a slower cast is required. Really enjoyed the whole experience. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 5:20am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Rod sounds great MM. Well done Good going on the kahawai too. You've got an excellent pelagic fishery there. We've been chasing the local kahawai under wharf lights. They've been very difficult. They do smashing attacks on quite large piper that are stunned by the wharf lights. But I have been frustrated by missed strikes and my fast moving flies simply getting ignored. So I tied on a large 'long' fly and fished it on a very slow retrieve through the light glow. That worked. Caught a couple anyway. I'd be very happy with a dozen
Page  <1 34567>