Glass Rods

Page  <1234 7>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 8:57pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Had a look up the Wairoa Channel this morning to catch the last of the outgoing and first of the incoming which I find is the best time for kahawai action. Using the Echo 369-3 and a Charlie type variant that I call Barbie's charlies. Obviously, the fly is bright pink. Only wanted three kahawai, one for lunch and two for tea, and it didn't take long. All were prespawners in good condition. The first had eaten a squid and a cockabully that was still alive, and was released, the second had eaten 17 mud crabs, and the third, four mud crabs. The three provided great sport, so I will be back tomorrow morning. The three royal spoonbills that were filter feeding near me provided a perfect end to the excursion.
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 8:41pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Heres a little clip we shot of an Epic Bandito loaded up on a gulf kingi. 

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:43pm
Gold
Gold

That's incredible footage Troutzilla. You wouldn't want to be doing that on a graphite rod. It has really opened my eyes. What was the outcome? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 8:13pm
Gold
Gold

When the importer told me that they had one of the older model Redington Butter Sticks left, I had to have it. I was after the #3 weight, but the remaining one was a #4, a 476-3, so I grabbed it. I picked it up from Hamills in Tauranga and they gave me a very good deal. I took the rod out this morning and fished the edge of the Otumoetai Channel on the first of the incoming. I was fishing one of my Barbie's charlies flies. I saw a few bust ups, missed one kahawai and broke another off. Just thinking about backing out because of the incoming when I took a heavy strike and hooked up. The kahawai took me well into the backing twice but eventually, I brought it to the net. At very close to 2kg, a was very happy with the capture. A really good christening for the Butter Stick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 8:48pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can't complain about that. The Redington rods are outstanding hey? I believe THE most underrated manufacturer out there.

I'm up fishing the canals with Jaapie right now, and my wife's 6# Vice is just a brilliant stick for heavy nymphing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 9:33pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Troutzilla Troutzilla wrote:

Heres a little clip we shot of an Epic Bandito loaded up on a gulf kingi. 

Must resist............approaching bankruptcy but the allure of a 12 wt glass rod.......

https://swiftflyfishing.com/collections/fly-rod-blanks/products/epic-boca-grande-12-fly-rod-blank
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:02am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great thread. Keep the pics and stories coming.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 2:19pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Mudfish marquand Mudfish marquand wrote:

That's incredible footage Troutzilla. You wouldn't want to be doing that on a graphite rod. It has really opened my eyes. What was the outcome? Cheers

Hi Mudfish,

We hooked that kingi in 3 meters of water right against the rocks with gannets raining down around us.

We managed to lead him out into 8 -10m which is where that footage was shot. He wasn't huge but fought like a demon  - about 850mm from memory.

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 3:28pm
Gold
Gold

What a great story and a mighty picture. Quite unreal looking at the bend in the rod. I bet you cringed when you saw the footage later. Bloody good effort on the glass. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 8:41am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A few shots of Mudfish in action with his UL Butterstick on a kahawai down in Tauranga yesterday - more to follow. Fibreglass really follows those fishy lunges!

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:53am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Ha ha! Brilliant! Used to love the noodle sticks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 8:01pm
Gold
Gold

Had an interesting day today fishing the Otumoetai Channel with two Rotarian friends today, for the last of the outgoing and first of the incoming. My friends were using #3 outfits, while I was using my #4 Butter Stick, with a Rio CamoLux WF3I. I was very happy how the glass 4 weight handled the lighter line, in my opinion, close to perfect. We all caught nice size kahawai. I had a pull, set the hook and the fish did a powerful and long run, testing the rod, my Sage III Click reel and 4 pound tippet to the max. After a long and sustained fight, I back out to shore and eventually landed an eagle ray foul hooked midway between the snout and wing tip. What amazed me was that the length of leader held out. I will mention the brand because it impressed me, Black Magic Deception, 4 pound, 0.18mm. Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote saqual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 7:24am
saqual View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It was really good to watch. U handled that beautifully
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 8:30pm
Gold
Gold

Two days ago the kahawai were busting bait fish at first light, birds going for it, it was all on. Yesterday there were fewer bait fish being busted and this morning was dead. picked up this one on a blinds cast while wading the Tauranga flats this morning. Had it for tea tonight and is was delicious. The rod is a Redington Butter Stick 476-3, the reel is a Billy Pate Trout and the fly was closer tied with pink bucktail, polar flash and white bucktail. The kahawai really do like pink at the moment. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 8:39pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good stuff Dick That's a lot of fish on the butterstick. We finally seem to have some big winter kahawai moving in up here too. Found them hitting small piper off the sand. I managed to connect to a couple of two kilo models. Great fights. They seemed very fit. And that was on a graphite nine wt! I'd probably be in all sorts of trouble with something like the 3wt butterstick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 8:52pm
Gold
Gold

Good evening Craig. The particular rod there is a 4 weight Butter Stick. Just love it and the Billy Pate feels so good on it. I've always been a tackle tart! The kahawai are really good fun and I enjoy them as much as enjoy kings, perhaps more so. Totally underrated by most anglers, but not by swoffers. I really miss the big kahawai though, like the big 4kg models that were so prolific in the tidal lagoons and estuaries in South Westland during the 1970s. It really pisses me off when I see the purse seiners heading out through the Tauranga Harbour entrance. I keep the odd kahawai to eat and I am very thankful of being able to, and outside the schooling kahawai are being raped. Where is the sense of it all?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 9:07pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, don't get me started We have the most amazing sportfish that circumnavigates the entire country and we allow it to be decimated by commercial fishermen. It is also a brilliant food resource that swims under its own steam to virtually every coastal community in NZ. Somehow commercial fishing company profits are more important. I badly miss the giant black schools of monster kahawai that used to ride the winter waves on Northland's surf beaches. Hopefully one day some NZ government will see sense and these schools will return. I'm not holding my breath though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 9:22pm
Gold
Gold

When you look back though, there have been anglers who have fought very hard for kahawai by taking on Government and making the public more aware of their plight. We owe them a lot. Kahawai really are the peoples' fish. One day I was out at Pudney Rock fly fishing a surface school of kahawai when a big black purse seiner closed in and tried to intimidate me so I would leave. I wanted to, but I wasn't going to leave while that big ******* was there. After some time, the seiner left and no doubt wreaked havoc on another surface school. In those days, I think they exported the fish for lobster bait and cat food.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:46pm
Gold
Gold

I'm not sure which thread to post this on so chose this one as it seems most appropriate. Spent the weekend with friends on a fly fishing adventure at Bowentown. We stayed at the Bowentown Beach Holiday Park, very comfortable accommodation that I can recommend to other Forum members. We went not knowing what to expect as a tragedy had occurred the previous Monday and a Rahui had been put in place. The park manager told us that the Rahui affected the part of the harbour between Bowentown and Katikati, and as one of our party had a flats boat, it was simple for us to comply. Our target was bow wave kahawai, one of the most exciting circumstances to catch big kahawai on fly. The big bruisers come swimming across the flats in shallow water pushing bow waves that you can see from several hundred metres. This gives you plenty of time to move to intercept the slow moving fish. The kahawai can be going with, against or across the current. My weapon of choice was an Echo River Glass 369, #3, 6'9" glass rod, a small tight water fly rod, probably not a good choice, but hey, it's my choice.  (cont.)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 2:09pm
Gold
Gold

On the Saturday, we caught six big kahawai, of which I landed four. I was using my #3 Echo coupled with a Sage Click III reel and this gear was pushed to the limit. My fly of choice was a fluoro pink/white clouser tied on a #8 hook. Pink seems to be the deadly colour at present. I caught two kahawai off bow waves, and one on a blind cast, weighing 4.25 pounds, 4.0 pounds and 3.75 pounds. In the afternoon, I was dropped near the harbour entrance on the island and a blind cast produced a 5.0 pounder, the heaviest at that stage on the wee glass rod. On the Sunday, four good size kahawai were landed and I landed three and lost another beauty. I used the same Echo River Glass, but matched to a Billy Pate Trout reel. The first for the day was caught on a blind cast and weighed 5.25 pounds and the other two came off bow waves and each weighed 4.25 pounds. I spent an hour of the afternoon at the mouth but only caught little tykes. (cont.)
Page  <1234 7>