Going ultra light

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going ultra light
    Posted: 24 May 2019 at 9:43pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah going to Strip Strike was great, and taking the 5 weight was an edgy decision but turned out to spur me onto going lighter to have more of a challenge with the commonly available fish around the harbour that  seldom push past 2-3 kilo.

I didnt want to go for a cheapo sub $100 rod but didnt want to pay more than $200, so went for a $150 (down from 400) 8 foot CD ICT in 3wt, 4 pce with spare tip, good bag and solid carry tube. Has a cool metal skeleton reel seat with twin lock rings. Balances nicely with the little Okuma SLV 5/6 which also colur coordinates nicely.

Tomorrow morning forecast is for near zero winds so hope to get it on the water and into a fish. Breaking out the trout flies as well!

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 9:02am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Looks nice Wolfie Will be lots of fun with winter kahawai. I won't mention trevs...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 11:19am
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good on you Wolfe. You won't regret the purchase, that's a sweet rod. I got the same deal with an ICT #2, spare tip included. Not sure why ULF hasn't gone for it in NZ, for me, it opened up a new dimension of fly fishing. If you are ever down in TAURANGA and want some kahawai action, especially over the winter months, give me a yell. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 1:40pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Mudfish marquand Mudfish marquand wrote:

Good on you Wolfe. You won't regret the purchase, that's a sweet rod. I got the same deal with an ICT #2, spare tip included. Not sure why ULF hasn't gone for it in NZ, for me, it opened up a new dimension of fly fishing. If you are ever down in TAURANGA and want some kahawai action, especially over the winter months, give me a yell. Cheers

My first fish was as expected a small kahawai and it did put a nice bend in the rod ... and definitely would like to head down your way and check out how you do it on a 1 weight ...

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 1:50pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Looks nice Wolfie Will be lots of fun with winter kahawai. I won't mention trevs...

Gotta find the trevs first ...
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 5:25pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice, looks like I will have to dust off my old 2/3 wt I used for trout. I wonder how those big anchovie munching kahawai would go on that. A couple of them put up a good scrap on the 10wt the other day.  They were in the 2+ kg range (one was 54cm).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 4:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Mudfish,
how'd you find the line rating on the ICT?
 I found the loading on my 3 weight a bit confusing -i did use it with a 5 wt shark wave, but most of the time no matter how much line I had in the air, which i varied from short to longer, it never felt properly loaded. On the occasional cast I got it right and 50 ft flew out beautifully.
Your thoughts?
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 6:05pm
Gold
Gold

Hi Wolfie. My ICT #2 likes the line one weight heavier. The line that I use on it the most is a Rio CamoLux WF3I. The other thing that I wanted to mention to you is not to be afraid of the wind. Windy days have an advantage because the angler and fly line are less noticeable to the fish. Also, a careless cast is more forgiving. I have fished my #2 in 25 knots plus wind with success. No matter which way the wind is blowing, you will find that you can use the wind to your advantage for at least 45 degrees of the compass. This works best for blind casting. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:26pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the info - suspected that would be the case. The SA profile is very trouty with fair length of shoulder after the head, so will look for a
more salty design.
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 9:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

Found an inexpensive WF4F  - it's 100 Foot long!!! - who can really cast a  #4 line that distance in real fishing??? Just squeezes onto the Sage 2050. Could trim off 20 ft and still  not feel under-gunned.

Unlike some other brand lines that cost more and actually look and feel crappy, this one frankly looks and feels like a $100 line. 

Proof will be once I get it on the rod and give it a fling over the weekend. Bring on those  hungry winter kahawai - and trevally ...
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 9:42pm
Platinum
Platinum

Got first use of the 3wt rod with the new 4wt line today and it definitely casts much better. The line itself wasn't as radical as an outbound but has a more compact head than my 5wt sharkwave. Floated very well and shot out smoothly. Just gotta remember not to try casting heavy weighted flies on such light line.
@mudfish what sort of patterns are you using, especially if weighted. And how much distance are getting?
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 10:42pm
Gold
Gold

Good evening Wolfie. For kahawai, I use small bead head bait fish flies, shrimp/krill imitations, crazy charlie / clouser patterns and small bait fish patterns and because I use 3 pound tippet, I only use flies tied on #8 hooks or smaller. Tonight, I've been tying small candy type flies in fluorescent colours to use on kahawai in tannin and sediment water, like it was today. Got a few, but nothing big. I have never measured how far I cast with the #1, #2 and #3, but it's obviously far enough. When I get a chance, I will measure it and send you a private message. My fly tying and fly casting is very average but does the job. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 10:55pm
Gold
Gold

I'm happy to meet up and take any of you guys out for some ULF on kahawai. Best tide is the last couple of hours of the outgoing and the first few hours of the incoming. I do have a couple of other places where different tides are okay. You do need waders. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 10:18am
Gold
Gold

Here's one for anyone who is interested. The rod is a Leichi V-Feather #1, the reel a Sage 2230, a Leichi WF1F, Maxima Ultragreen 3 pound tippet and fly was a hometied krill imitation. The kahawai weighed  3 3/4 pounds and was my first fish on the rod and the biggest on it to date. I tried very hard to fault the rod but haven't found anything. It compares very favourably with much more expensive rods. The rod, cloth bag, graphite rod tube, the fly line and freight from China was $100. I really like the reel seat and have never had my reel come off it unexpectedly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 8:04pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That is incredibly cheap gear Dick The fact that it has passed your fishing tests on it says heaps. Obviously the stuff coming out of China is getting better all the time. I had some unfortunate experiences with Chinese rods in the past and never went back for another look. One rod snapped clean off just above the cork when landing a kahawai off the rocks. That was interesting. I've never had a rod break there before. Another brand broke four times before I gave up. Sounds like it might be time to have another look.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 8:42pm
Gold
Gold

Yeah, before I got my mate to get it for me, I checked out a couple of his Chinese rods and by looks, I couldn't fault them. Took the risk and was pleasantly surprised. I have caught several hundred kahawai on the #1 and haven't had a hint of a problem. Another one of my mates from Tauranga owns the same model and it is one of his favourites too. A Rotorua  mate has bought two Chinese Leichi fly rods and a couple of weeks ago used his #3 on kahawai. I was cringing when I saw him landing the fish out in the water, but the rod held up. At less than $100.00, it's not much of a risk. Of course there is no guarantee. No doubt I will be buying more in the coming years. (I already have 44 fly rods and know I am a sick puppy).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 7:08am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

(I already have 44 fly rods and know I am a sick puppy).

Yes   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 7:07pm
Platinum
Platinum

Go on Mudfish, only 8 more rods and you'll have one for each week of the year :))
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 9:16pm
Gold
Gold

Purchased another had to have fly rod today. The ducks nuts for the narrow mangrove estuaries for salties and creeks for trout. It's an Echo River Glass #3, 6' 9", 3 section (RS-369-3. Couldn't help myself, I'm sure you guys know the obsessive nature of the addiction or the addictive nature of the obsession. Anyway, it looks gorgeous in glacier blue with white bindings. I'll try and blood it tomorrow. To add to the obsession, the next one is going to be a Redington Butter Stick, again in #3. Problem is that I want one of the older yellow models. Do I need another rod? Hell no, I need another 30. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 7:04am
Gold
Gold

Ordered the wee Echo  last Wednesday from Hamills at 1.00pm and it arrived on Thursday at 11.00am. How's that for service? It's not a rod many shops would carry in stock in NZ. Spent a bit of time messing around trying casting different lines. Will take a bit of time finding a line that suits it. Tim Rajeff advises the same line weight for the rod but for me, it seems to like a #4. There are so many variables, not only with a suitable fly line, but also casting style, etc. The rod is only 6'9" and is not an open water rod. It's more suitable for fishing a small tight trout stream or a tight mangrove creek. So far, I've only been able to cast about 20 metres, but it's far enough for kahawai. I like messing around with different fly rods and I am really enjoying stepping back from the fast action graphites and into the more "traditional feel" of glass.
Page  12>