North Island Tuna - Where to start

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North Island Tuna - Where to start
    Posted: 23 May 2019 at 1:37pm
HuntGatherRepeat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have geared up and got out for a few trolls this year on our first season game fishing. Didn't originally think much about targeting tuna in the cooler months but looks like I'll have a bit of extra time in June-July to get out towards White Island, possibly further around by Waihau. 

As far as getting started, I'm running 3x 25kg rod set ups full of braid with top shots of mono. No riggers. 7.3m fiberglass boat and have been to White a few times so plenty of range. 

Can anyone recommend any basic strategies and lure combos? Not looking for a spot, more after the sign and terrain that I should be targeting. As far as lures, open to suggestion there. Have a few RG's that brought a few marlin in to the spread but from what I've read the tuna seem to prefer the more bullet shaped lures. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 4:46pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hithere, seeing as no one has replied I thought I would.  This year maybe a bust due to the currents as every year is different.  Below are the last 3 years same time of year with current and water temp.  This year the currents are really wide and temp is way warmer.  (many thanks Ben for info)  also few links to Bluefin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Anticipation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 12:21pm
Anticipation View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great to have knowledgeable people share it with us learners.
Thanks Jake.
As a matter of interest, can you recommend a good water temperature range that SBTs like to inhabit?
If you think you can do something, or you think you can't - you are probably right
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 4:34pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This may help.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 5:41pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Research in Aus indicates SBT spend 30% of their time in water <18.5C, 20% of their time in water between 18.5C and 20.0C and 40% of their time in water between 20.0C and 21.0C.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 6:43pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll give you some gold.

Referred to me by a most respected source.
Who I will not name.

18.5 - 19.5
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 6:49pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I believe the fish this year have been in 17.3 Nd in years.gone 16 something.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 7:02pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To true jake,
Rules or more importantly guidelines are just that.

The tool above is a guide not a rule.

If the food source is in a different temp zone and your unable to find food in your comfort zone and it's just to your left or right, you will take it.
And even if it kills you.

The behaviour of your target is wide and fruitful as a Hunter if you understand it.