Newbie Gear Question

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StrayFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie Gear Question
    Posted: 19 May 2019 at 6:34pm
StrayFish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just looking for some advice and possible guidance on gear wise whilst rock /wharf fishing - mostly rock fishing and odd occasion from the wharf, rock fishing is mainly out coromandel way. 

I have a couple of gear that been looking at but with little experience in terms of "buying" the right gear for the occasion, I have some old beaten up gear that would use, and looking this time round to get some new gear to last and be adequate in what I want to do off rock/wharf - generally snapper, similar sized fish catching to possibly looking for kingies down the line. 

Combos that been really looking at is a 

1. Penn Slammer III 7500 + Ocean Assassin 8'2" 2pc XH - Would any one recommend this combination or is using such a setup for rock/wharf? 

2. Okuma Coronado 80 & Tournament Concept 10' 2 Piece Rod & Reel Combo

3. Daiwa BG 5000 Reel & Daiwa Saltist SJ 792H Rod

4. Shimano Socorro 10000 SW + Backbone Travel 8'2" 50-80lb 3pce

Or if anyone has any suggestions of combos to use? my budget is around $600 total for reel and rod. and then to figure what kind of line setup I should be using for rock fishing/ lb etc 

I realize that still in newbie corner of learning all that is fishing, but feel that I don't want to go into the really "cheap" as I have done in the past so many times or hand me downs from my old man that isn't recoverable. 

Thanks in advance :) 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 7:08pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would get a Thunnus 12000 or 8000 and the Tournament concept 10ft(nice rod actually) or if you could get an 11ft rod. Two of those combo's above are stickbaiting I would just get a pure baitfishing combo first and foremost. 

If you wanna save $100 on the reel have a look at the Penn baitrunners about $250. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StrayFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 7:51pm
StrayFish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Muppet, I believe I saw at local fish store combo for that very thing Thunnus 12000 and Okuma 10 ft rod, will go back and check it out. 

any thoughts about the Penn combo i posted? 

will down the track have access to a boat, so trying to get what can be used all around so to speak. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 7:53pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The go to gear for rock fisherman landing large snapper & kings sub 1 meter off the rocks is based on my recent observations a shimano saragosa 6000 size reel with 10 kg plus mono ... there are even stronger thin super monos.
A few people including myself been dusted big time landbased this weekend but sounds like the sagossa 6000 got lot closer than I did on an alvey . The alvey does not perform well on a decent king ... how did older people land big fish on those is still a mystery to me?
Anyway consensus would seem to be a 10000 Saragossa and 50 llb Braid with decent leader would be the preferred option if trying to smack down decent kings land based on baits ... otherwise , as I was reminded of this arvo,   it is pretty much one way traffic and hiding to nothing on bigger kings when on gear that isn't meant for them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StrayFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 6:08pm
StrayFish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

awesome, thanks Shaneg - much appreciate the insight, and recommendation will add that to my list of looking into. :) 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 7:49pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would avoid brand combos go with what will get the job done the best. Don’t fall for a sales trap just get what feels best mix n match. Can I suggest the Davies sandstorm 11 ft would be an awesome rod for rock snapper. If you are in Auckland call Greg at Gofish he was doing mean deals on them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobernator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 9:40pm
Goobernator View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have a look at daiwa hyper 962xhs with okuma Coronado 80 , will keep it in the $600 range. Or okuma tournament concept 10ft with thunnus 12000 ,around the $600. The okuma feels a bit stiffer in the tip than the daiwa. Save up and get a spare spool. But yeah that 11ft daiwa sandstorm with a thunnus 8000 and 8kg line is my favorite combo of the rocks. Almost forgot penn allegiance 2 10ft 10-15kg rod. Or or or daiwa sj 962hfs 962 2-5 pe. ......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 9:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im a great fan of the thunnus, have several.
 Before upgrading my gear, have 3 shimano OCs which are still in regular use.
Been very reliable as well, upgrading each to carbon fibre (ex Reel Repair Guy) as servicing comes around.

Son does a heap of beach surf casting of west coast... And very rarely comes home with out a feed. Most of his beach fishing is get a feed, catch release.
A basic okuma rod and 8000 OC.. Hes not the best, to say the least, at great care of his reels. A basic rinse put away till it dies eventually dies. Its been 5 or 6 yrs now of very high use...killed a couple rods but the 8000OC keeps catching.

Have asked him about going more up grade in his land based gear, recons just not worth it.. too easy to stuff a reel, and the 8000OC has survived way beyond its use by date.
 His boat gear, thats a very different story...rod/ reel sets light gear all up in the $800 range and heavier stuff $900/ 1200 ..

A basic okuma or shimano rod and 8000OC will serve you very, for $350/ $400