Sailors Corner

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sailors Corner
    Posted: 17 May 2019 at 12:13pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

During the week I was having issues with a marine battery purchased from Sailors Corner at Westhaven which was still within warranty & had the receipt to prove it ( however eventually transpired it was OK )
Had arranged to go fishing the next day so rang them to see if I could get a replacement.

Was unpleasantly surprised to be told they were currently in the process of liquidation therefore were unable to honour any warrantees
however they were having a clearance sale & had one battery left in stock albeit a larger capacity version that despite allegedly at a clearance sale price was in fact over $100 more than I had originally paid ... BUT the real downer was being told me because they were in the process of liquidation it would not have any warranty.

Therefore before rushing in hoping for a bargain make sure to check of any down sides that may exist. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 12:57pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been closing down for about a month and won't accept their gift vouchers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 12:59pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bugger about the liquidation. Bigger bugger about the warranty. Why would you consider the clearance one Bazza how does it compare to say smartmarine, burnsco etc price wise??

If you were to get this clearance offer and it also fails in some way. Where does that leave you? two knackered batteries no help? 

Seems to me like you may aswell try make it rain in the pokies. LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:17pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the nz agent ,distributor should be obliged to honour the warranty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:17pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go direct to the battery manufacturer and ask them to honour the warranty? 

After all, that's what would have happened anyway - it wouldn't have rested with Sailors Corner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:26pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Dagwood Dagwood wrote:

Go direct to the battery manufacturer and ask them to honour the warranty? 

After all, that's what would have happened anyway - it wouldn't have rested with Sailors Corner.
yes it would of been sailor CNR problems Barry brought from sailor as they are the agent.warrenry claims you don't go direct to manufacturer .it is up to the seller to deal with claims. Check with fairgo or cga and you will find I am correct .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:29pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

When I worked in retail dud products were ultimately returned to and subsequently credited or replaced by the agent / manufacturer.

Are you saying that's changed and the retailer now typically wears the cost of any faulty goods?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:35pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep you a tv from Noel lemons you don't contact Panasonic straight back to noel.it us up to them to replace send off for warranty.nit you as the consumer.the retailer will tell to contact Panasonic just trying to dodge their responsibilities.been that way for a few a years now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:49pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Understood but given this situation, most reputable companies would step up. To use it as an opportunity to weasel out of it is pretty gutless to say the least.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:51pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree they should of helped.even if a phone call to supplier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 2:20pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was actually referring to the agent or manufacturer hiding behind their retailer falling over as an excuse not to honour their warranty as being gutless and unethical behaviour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 3:48pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The CGA actually makes the first point of call for warranty or any other issue the retailer, but if for any reason they no longer deal with that product you can go up the chain to the distributor and then the manufacturer for any claim.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 4:06pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Dagwood Dagwood wrote:

When I worked in retail dud products were ultimately returned to and subsequently credited or replaced by the agent / manufacturer.

Are you saying that's changed and the retailer now typically wears the cost of any faulty goods?

That is how I imagine it would work in a situation such as this but it was a bit more complicated in this instance, inasmuch as was a Sunday & had arranged to take an overseas visitor fishing on the Tuesday. As a previous trip had to be cancelled due to the weather I did not want to further disappoint him so needed things sorted asap. Yes the master agent probably would have honoured a warranty however it would have to go to them to be tested etc. which would have taken more time than I could afford hence the reason I was considering the larger battery then negotiate with the master agent later. Just as well I did not decide to take that option as besides risking the terminals, size & configuration being a mismatch I was to find out later it would have been totally unsuitable on several counts.

Enter now Fish City who were ultra helpful with their advice & advised me to put both batteries on charge overnight & he would test them for me then.

Should have been plain sailing from thereon however at every turn complications arose but will not bore anyone with the details so suffice to say after a full charge both batteries tested were thankfully all good to go.

So time to refit the batteries which presented further problems but nothing that could not be overcome. One upside of the exercise was that I have a far better understanding of how battery systems work, which set ups suit various requirements & how to best to avoid any repeat problems.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 10:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

The CGA actually makes the first point of call for warranty or any other issue the retailer, but if for any reason they no longer deal with that product you can go up the chain to the distributor and then the manufacturer for any claim.

Side note the retailer cannot refer you to the distrubter or manufacture.that is a finable offence under the act.
In the case of a retailer going bust SaltyC post stands.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:51pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Who is left at westhaven??

Sailors corner going

Smartmarine gone

Just leaves Burnsco??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 1:54pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its strange - I expected when Smartmarine went, that Sailors Corner would do much better. Anyone know whats behind their failure. Not that it bothers me, I don't want to go to Westhaven - I have been pleased to buy from Smartmarine on North Shore.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 3:55pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

Its strange - I expected when Smartmarine went, that Sailors Corner would do much better. Anyone know whats behind their failure. Not that it bothers me, I don't want to go to Westhaven - I have been pleased to buy from Smartmarine on North Shore.

I suspect that you have answered your own question.  If you would rather go to Smartmarine on North Shore than Westhaven then that's probably how everyone else feels.  Over the last few years Burnsco and Smartmarine have opened retail stores in several locations, all of which are more convenient to get to than Westhaven -so that's where people shop now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 4:35pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was under the impression the closures in that area over the last couple years where due to a re vamp of the general general water front area...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 4:46pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sailors Corner did not shift the fishing gear in any quick time that is for sure, it is museum tackle shop. I heard rumors on how people "pay" there too.....but I don't know if it is a fact or how much of a bearing it was on the company folding. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 3:15am
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pjc there is also top catch opposite burnsco.
Page  12>