Bloody Mako

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bloody Mako
    Posted: 14 May 2019 at 9:49pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's a bit rough when a big oceanic mako moves in to the snapper grounds. OK - we were out near Cape Brett, & deep water was near by, but seeing big snapper taxed right next to the boat was as frustrating as it was exciting.

It was the bottom wetting trip for Dean's new Senator - as expected everything worked on the boat as it should, the weather was great, the snapper had no interest in artfully presented softbaits, but were happy to snack on fresh jack macs, when Big M turned up right on bite time.

Dean hooked the first decent snapper, & fought it most of the way to the surface, before our unidentified new companion removed all but the head. Shortly afterwards, as we went through the bronzie/tope/mako debate I thought I might have hooked the culprit - I've called a few sharks as snapper, and vice versa, & this one was owning me on 20lb gear. After some time, & only seconds after we identified it as a big snapper, it became an ex snapper, as a big mako turned our dinner into his lunch.

The next couple of fish saw some serious pumping-and-winding going on, as we attempted to beat the beast - tracing a nice pannie takes on a whole new dimension when there's 200kg of Mako, mouth open, aiming for both the fish and your hand.

Fortunately, we had an Annie with us. She not only hooked the mako, on a stupidly small piece of bait, she also cunningly entangled him with the anchor rope, broke him off, and apparently broke his spirit, as he troubled us no more. She also caught most of the pink maomao - perhaps not the same fighting quality as makos or snapper, but better eating than both.

35m water depth, very short bite time just before high tide, best bait fresh jack macs, but frozen skippie/squid/macs working ok as well.      

treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 9:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I hate the bloody things when they do that but they are so cool to see at the same time.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 7:55pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Most frustrating, yet to have them turn up in our snapper spots but they have taxed the heck out of any kingies we have caught this year.
Both bronzies & makos in huge numbers. They have been nailing 4 out of 5 kings we hook.
Had six sharks swimming around the boat out at the North ground a couple of weeks ago.
Always been around but this year just seems out of control, almost given up chasing kings
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 9:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Different take on catch and release Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 10:46pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try swimming with the spastic buggers!! Sounds to me like 35m cape brett.. Pinkies.. At a guess hole in the rock or bird island?

Always rolling the dice with the taxman out that ways.