Deep water squid fishing - anyone done it?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep water squid fishing - anyone done it?
    Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:41pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I gave shallow water targeting squid a go with no luck at whiti from a boat flicking squid jigs intro weedy reefs between 2 and 6m of water on a calm day. Set up a perfect drift that went 500m right along the visible reef. No luck.

Next thinking of targeting between 20-40m of water. Online found a clip on a guy who would tie on via a swivel a squid jig a meters or so above his soft bait and was getting either snapper or squid in 40m...

Anyone targeted and landed squid other than the local well documented spots?
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:50pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Landed quite a few off Wanganui just on a baited ledger rig in 30+ metres.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:39pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When I've caught them by accident it's usually around dusk, would have been 40 or 50 metres but not near the bottom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 11:26am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That’s great so that depth and the ranges around do hold hungry squid. I suspect the softbaits being chomped on are squid. I’m thinking light change shallows and day time deeper reefs.

Also read you can liven up your jig with a strip of small bait and some fish juice.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 1:08pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You can fish squid jigs on ledger rigs down deep. Just leave them in the rod holder and wait for the weight to come on.

I've done this in North channel when the current is fierce.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 4:08pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok just a weight to suit current etc. and same spacing as flasher rig on leader. Wind just off the bottom and let the boat action jig yeah?

So two ways to do it. You are catching them during daylight hours using this method I’m guessing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 4:10pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just on the channel location aspect. I was told to go for weedy reefs areas but assume a channel to be relatively featureless other than the gradient.

Have you been going deep side or shallow on the channel? And guessing 6 ounce skier at least due to the size of squid lures drag on the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:53pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They'll come over the sand every now and then, I got one on a kabura over the sand by saddle Island once.

When fishing north channel I was fishing over reefs about 15m deep during the day

I just fish one squid jig on the ledger. Can't remember what sized sinker, just enough to get down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:15pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Meant to say I got them on bright metal jigs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:54am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We used to get them years ago (talking 25-30 years) behind the scallop boats in Bream Bay, we were fishing small Grim Reaper jigs on 6kg mono and getting heaps of snapper and gurnard but also getting a few squid, would lose most of them as only a single treble and the hook would pull really easy. Who knows how many we would have got with braid and proper squid jigs. So if you are ever fishing near working scallop boats have a go for a squid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:29am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BFIST BFIST wrote:

They'll come over the sand every now and then, I got one on a kabura over the sand by saddle Island once.

When fishing north channel I was fishing over reefs about 15m deep during the day

I just fish one squid jig on the ledger. Can't remember what sized sinker, just enough to get down.

Heaps there eh. Some days getting a softbait through them is nigh impossible.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:15pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

About 15 years ago we used to get quite a few squid down here in Tauranga in the middle of winter, especially just on dark at the Pilot Bay Jetty at the base of the Mount and we would get the odd one whilst straylining at Motiti. Then they disappeared and I have not heard much about them since.