Mercury pro xs 115 command thrust

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote doublet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mercury pro xs 115 command thrust
    Posted: 09 May 2019 at 8:32pm
doublet View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all, anyone have 1st hand experience with these motors? Tossing up between this and a Yamaha 115b.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:15pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have done 150 hours with mine, it's brilliant. I get 0.9-1.0nm/litre with it when cruising between 20 and 25 knots. Pushes my Extreme 605 Gameking along at 34knots WOT.

It runs the 14 5/8" diamter prop which gives way better grip in the water compared to the 13 1/4" prop the Yamaha runs.

You also get better holeshot from 2066ccs of the Merc, versus the 1800 odd cc of the yamaha.

The Merc is also lighter at 160kg dry weight.

My only frustration with the Merc is that it comes with the vessel view display. Which now I have it sussed is great, but the instructions for driving it are very crap, and not too many people know much about them either. Now I have figured it out, I'm loving the whole package.

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote doublet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:39pm
doublet View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

great thanks, sounds good. What pitch prop are you running?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 10:09pm
Platinum
Platinum

16” pitch Enertia
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 9:56am
Platinum
Platinum

As something of a Post Script, make sure you compare a "standard" CT Merc Four Stroke, against the Pro XS. I didn't do that and was left wondering whether there is any difference in mid range performance. Because from a specs perspective, all you get with the Pro XS is some fancy paintwork and an extra 300 revs at top end. Which is neither here nor there for a fishing boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 12:18pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Marineworx can help with the vessel links. My 60hp works well with my simrad.

I ditched all my engine gauges and simply use the Simrad for all the engine info. 

My 60hp up to about 1000 hrs now. 115hp in my next boat i hope.
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote doublet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 4:52pm
doublet View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the input guys, Merc it is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 8:20pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree with Bob.
Just done 500 faultless hours in 3 years on a 90hp CT (same engine block) on a FC560 c/c.

Its got heaps of low end torque, quiet and I get 1.1 - 1.3 litres per mile at cruise.

Would definitely buy again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote straks007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:20pm
straks007 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

As above, I would also highly recommend the Merc CT’s. We’ve just put 160 hrs on our 115 and love the motor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:54am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all, anyone have 1st hand experience with these motors? Tossing up between this and a Yamaha 115b.

The essential core thing before anything else is considered for a plaining hull boat.. in this order.
 1/knowing the normal total gross weight of the boat.
2/ the primary end use of that boat.. eg race, cruise, trolling, ski, towing etc
3/ The type of lake/ river/ bars/ seas.. inshore or outer gulf going to be used for.
4/ The expectations as to cruise speeds.. this is usually established by 2/ and 3/

5/Then choose (calculate) the hp required to handle these conditions with at least 10 to 15 % reserve power at those rpms.

6/Then choose your hp of preference (ie brand/ model) applicable to the power requirement to meet these expectations.
 7 & 8/ mount the engine at correct height.. usually nailed after 1st sea trial with a prop that is calculated to be in the correct ball park.
9/ Sea trail to confirm correct height and the calculate the required prop from data off the ball park prop.. which often turns out to be pretty good.

you cant 'fix' a min or under powered engine with a prop change to meet expectations without over propping , but will still fall off the plain in chop.
A min powered or above will not require a permatrim.. a higher rake prop is what levers the bow down.

So get that power right..
 The more reserve power you have the better the chop and economy becomes.. less throttle less load , less rpms.

Top speed, is irrelevant as much as top speed of the wife shopping basket car, a tractor, aeroplane, truck or bulldozer.. it is an unfortunate result of having enough power to get up hills at  cruise speed.. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote doublet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 1:33pm
doublet View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all, just some feedback now I have the motor, its a nice bit of kit.

Pros, silent idle, really responsive and loads of torque
Cons, louder than I would have thought once the RPM's are getting up.

20kn cruse at 4000rpm, 1.3Nm/L is good but faster around 5000rpm plus is getting quite loud.  Currently proped with a 16in Enertia and maxing our at 6300rpm, 35kn so may look to prop up a bit, forgo some holeshot for lower revs.  Boat is a Buccaneer 565.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 7:22am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Be careful to not over prop it. I'm assuming these motors have lean burn technology, if you over prop it the motor won't go in to lean burn, and will burn more fuel.
Otherwise, sounds like you are on to a winner.
From what I am hearing, most four strokes are not that much quieter at high revs..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 5:33pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by doublet doublet wrote:

Hi all, just some feedback now I have the motor, its a nice bit of kit.

Pros, silent idle, really responsive and loads of torque
Cons, louder than I would have thought once the RPM's are getting up.

20kn cruse at 4000rpm, 1.3Nm/L is good but faster around 5000rpm plus is getting quite loud.  Currently proped with a 16in Enertia and maxing our at 6300rpm, 35kn so may look to prop up a bit, forgo some holeshot for lower revs.  Boat is a Buccaneer 565.

Good to hear you went with it. That prop is dead right. If you go an inch more on Pitch you'll drop the top end revs and Holeshot. Been there done that. You're as good as you'll get right where you are. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:26am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

IOf the boat is unloaded nd hitting the top of the WoT rpm range , then in therory with the boat normally loaded you should be mid range or slightly berlow middle.
 If you are hitting top at normal load you will then go over at light load...either the pitch is too high or the prop is too small in diamter.

The corect prop is selected
 1st by getting the slip.. diameter, cupping, rake of the pro right with a ball park corect pitch
 And then selecting the the corect pitch so at normal load max WoT rpms at best trim on flat water is middle or slightly below the middle of the manufactures recommendation.
 Note that all brand have a range.. not a simple max rpms
 The reason is to match the boat loading ...

One cannot simply say that a prop is corect , or corect pitch for a particular boat/ loading without knowing what the slip numbers are..

A boat with a prop too big (grip) and pitch little to low will load up a power head at low rpms yet still have WoT rpms correct.. and visa versa.
 This will also effect hole shot, cruise speeds and have a huge effect on economy.

At this piont you know that the prop is at least ball park.
 So grab slip numbers from around 3500 rpms , 500 rpm increments, to WoT at normal load on flat water, and best trim for each speed.

Yes maybe the prop is corect if the WoT rpms is light load...
The difference is knowing its right and thinking it is right.. and the advantages in warrentee issues thru to economy, even engine noise (loading) levels are substantual.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 1:40pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

One cannot simply say that a prop is corect , or corect pitch for a particular boat/ loading without knowing what the slip numbers are..

One certainly can say that when one has the same Engine and Prop on his own boat and has calculated prop Slip to be 2.24% at that speed and revs.