Devonport wharf

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Devonport wharf
    Posted: 05 May 2019 at 6:04am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok this autumn/winter keen to give it a go. is there any squid there,do you need lighting or is darkness best??is it best high tide? what would the normal jig colour/wirght be?windless night??Thinking from about 8.00pm onwards.
never tried squiding but determined to give it a go.
what about torpedo bay wharf or stanley bay??   just want somewhere safe from the idiot hoons.

Oh do you need to use burley??

Thanks 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 8:35am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi mate, I haven’t tried off devonport wharf but generally you want slack tide (either high or low) and still conditions. Use darker colours at night with red foil under the cloth.

If you can’t get them there then Murray’s bay wharf works at high tide, cast off the left. Let me know how you get on.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 1:07pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks will report back in 2 weeks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:43pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

High tide next to Devo wharf under the lights, cast around the pole sticking up out of the water. Always a few squid caught there. Outgoing tide from high usually goes best. No burley required.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 1:14am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks BFIST even got the wife wanting to try, 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 5:40am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't laugh.but how do tell if a squid is going for jig?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 7:23am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They usually hit it on the drop, so after you cast, let is sink till near the bottom, whip it up a couple of meters and let is sink again. Eventually when you try to whip the rod up, it will bend and you will feel the pulse-pulse-pulse of a squid. Run a light drag otherwise you end up pulling tentacles off.

Occasionally they will follow right to your feet - if that happens, just let it fall and they will often dive after it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 12:14pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Telecaster.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 2:48pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Another tip for this time of year when the squid are smaller is if the squid follows your jig right to your feet but doesn't bite, just keep the jig sitting in the water, they will quite often take it.

Smaller jigs can work better at this time of year too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 5:56pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks BFIST

trial and error,Just checked tide chart nothing around 8.00pm for weeks, in a fortnight looking like 6.30pm to early??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:44am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Thanks BFIST

trial and error,Just checked tide chart nothing around 8.00pm for weeks, in a fortnight looking like 6.30pm to early??

If its a couple of weeks when your down there lets know,  might say hello.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:54am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Will do "otto"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:28pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi from Perth.....for what its worth ...i never seemed to catch squid much in nz but i catch em all the time over here.....
what i have found here is.....fish around the weed line and not too deep.....need clear water....no wind...no rain ......a for edgy style ?......i just work it lie a soft bait and yes i do burley the area with pellets and spray prawn scent on the lures......change them often.....especially after you catch one.....late arvo and into eve incoming tide and high tide is good.....12 pound flouro leader......the yamishaita with rattles and glow are good....when you feel the line tighten....dont strike ...just keep winding smoothly and keep line tight....light drag as mentioned so you dont pull the hooks.......point the squid to the side to let it spit the dummy and ink...........then grab the line and lift it up....dont try to wind it up out of the water....it will come off....i use 2.5 and 3.0 most of the time for average squid.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:19am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

some good info thanks "laidbackdood"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:39am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

some good info thanks "laidbackdood"
Your welcome.....
I just bought a Hearty rise poseidon squid rod......dont know if you guys get them but they look a nice build to me.......will check it out soon.....You been getting any luck?
If you can get some prawn scent from somewhere....that might help.......Thats my little secret out here anyway...Cant go wrong with the smelly stuff....Good luck.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.