inflatable jacket- confidence-lost.

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 10:04pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Dagwood Dagwood wrote:

However I make a point of servicing them every year - Labour weekend is my trigger and have had one "fail" due to a leak. Probably would still have been effective but ditched it. Only takes a few minutes and isn't hard and cost is nil. (assuming nothing needs replacing)

Thanks for the info.

However, re your the comment that the cost is "nil" - I'm a bit confused. From watching the video it appears that testing the jacket correctly means you have to buy a re-arming kit (with a new gas cylinder). Correct?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 7:45am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

However, re your the comment that the cost is "nil" - I'm a bit confused. From watching the video it appears that testing the jacket correctly means you have to buy a re-arming kit (with a new gas cylinder). Correct?

No, to test the jacket for leaks you manually inflate it by blowing in the tube -no need to use the gas cylinder to inflate it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 7:52am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Originally posted by Dagwood Dagwood wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Yes a new cylinder is only required if there is corrosion or if it's empty - unlikely unless it has been deployed.

Another point - I never allow a PFD that has been deployed (usually by accident) to be repacked unless it's been re-armed and is good to go. Too much risk it might be forgotten or grabbed in error and lets someone down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 9:40am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Kevin and Dagwood. Very helpful.

That video is deceptive in that case. It shows the guy blowing it up manually, then manually deflating once it's shown that it holds the air.

He then says "now it's time to re-arm..." and holds up a re-arming kit - admittedly, I didn't look at the website written instructions as well, but the video doesn't have a line explaining (as you've done) that the re-arming is only needed if it's been inflated using the gas.

It's interesting that my kids' Hutchwilco foam jackets both have crotch straps, for obvious reasons, yet the adult inflating ones don't come with them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 10:40am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've never had a cyclinder fall out.
I check every season.
It's comfortable to wear.
I swap to a fixed lifejacket for bar crossings now,Ive used it when sailing and know it supports me after a number of capsizes.
I fitted all my my inflatables and other basic jackets with crotch straps also after a coastguard seminar.
The inflatable is comfortable to wear all day and I certainly have done so for several years now.
The thought of being trapped in a cabin, always in the back of my mind.

Recently my wife upgraded to a Baltic, nice kit.
However, this summer I opened up,the cabin to find the jacket had self inflated.
Returned to supplier. They replaced at no cost.
However the why it self inflated still exists and is unanswered.
Some research leads me to understand that in certain environments of heat they can self fire.
This is now the only jacket we don't leave on board.

Lifejackets there use and choice is a great subject.

The best thing I have learned about lifejackets is better to have one than none.

Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:01pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

I check every season.
I swap to a fixed lifejacket for bar crossings now,Ive used it when sailing and know it supports me after a number of capsizes.
I fitted all my my inflatables and other basic jackets with crotch straps also after a coastguard seminar.
The inflatable is comfortable to wear all day and I certainly have done so for several years now.

However, this summer I opened up,the cabin to find the jacket had self inflated.
Some research leads me to understand that in certain environments of heat they can self fire.

The best thing I have learned about lifejackets is better to have one than none.

Yep.
I have a Baltic inflatable and it is very comfy to wear all day.
I never leave it on board as I am a professional bludger so it always comes home and into the shed.
I tried on many other inflatables before buying the Baltic.
It was the only one that I found instantly comfortable.
It also came with a crotch strap.
Tried fishing all day with a standard foam type and ended up very frustrated by the lack of free movement, especially when moving forward to retrieve the anchor.
Have never had the cannister fall out.
Touch wood.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:48pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive got a inflatable jacket like a vest without sleeves, Its got a gas inflator in it. I have never (in 8 years) tested or replaced the gas cylinder inflator. Perhaps I should, but I rely on the manual inflation, which I check, and which I can easily blow up by mouth.
If I was getting one again, I would get a vest like it; except with sleeves that can be zipped off or on, so it suits more varying temperatures. I particularly value the warmth it imparts to my upper body, as if Im in the water, the cold would kill me pretty quick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:00pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:33pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have heard that sometimes the CO2 cannister can slowly lose its gas. The way to check that it is still full is to weigh them. The Hutchwilco and similar inflatable lifejackets gas cylinders weigh 146g when full and contain 33g of CO2, whereas the Stormy Seas inflatable lifejackets have smaller gas cylinders that weigh only 62g full and contain 16g CO2.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 5:15pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=SaltyC]Not one of these I hope letsgetem?[/QUOTE

First time i have read this. Didnt exactly make mainstream news.

Dont they actually test new designs to make sure they work properly.

Imagine if Airbus turned out new aircraft ,just put them out there without rigerous testing and trials. They wouldnt do that.

In both cases lives depend on accuracy and proper testing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 6:08pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Imaging if Airbus turned out new aircraft ,just put them out there without rigerous testing and trials. They wouldnt do that.

In both cases lives depend on accuracy .
They might not, but Boeing seems to have with the 737-max, not to speak of the deteriorating reputation of the Charleston plant!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 6:16pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Marligator,

Very good info, obvious and overlooked by myself.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 7:39pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I check every season.

I’m a sailor as well, there was a sailor drowned a few years ago down in whanaka wearing a inflatable jacket. Sailing a cat, pitch poled it. Got knocked out and trapped under the boat. So accidents do happen and if you’re prepared to take the risk. Go for it.

I’m also a soft baiter, I wear a foam jacket and have no problems. I remember a few years ago, my daughter likes to jump off the boat and have a swim. I had anchored in a bit of current with out thinking I jumped off the boat and by the time I surfaced I had drifted quite a way from the boat and had to swim hard to get back. Silly mistake and glad I had on my foam jacket because I can swim in it. Very hard to swim in a inflatable. Only me and my daughter so it could have been a real problem.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:06pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

I check every season.

I’m a sailor as well, there was a sailor drowned a few years ago down in whanaka wearing a inflatable jacket. Sailing a cat, pitch poled it. Got knocked out and trapped under the boat. So accidents do happen and if you’re prepared to take the risk. Go for it.

I’m also a soft baiter, I wear a foam jacket and have no problems. I remember a few years ago, my daughter likes to jump off the boat and have a swim. I had anchored in a bit of current with out thinking I jumped off the boat and by the time I surfaced I had drifted quite a way from the boat and had to swim hard to get back. Silly mistake and glad I had on my foam jacket because I can swim in it. Very hard to swim in a inflatable. Only me and my daughter so it could have been a real problem.
Inflatables are NOT reconised by YNZ as a life saving device for small boat racing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 10:42pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Hey ... some pretty scary stuff here so thanx John for initiating the thread.
When I was a youngster & getting involved in boating/fishing lifejackets or suchlike were virtually unknown for recreational boating & even those carried aboard passenger boats or liners were ill fitting bulky apparitions made from cork.

Many years went by before flotation vests began to gather favour for general use but that were mostly canvas like material stuffed with synthetic flotation material, but at least they could be relied on to
perform their intended purpose even if they were rather uncomfortable to wear for any length of time.

Then in due course the inflatable versions arrived that sat flat so were a lot more comfortable therefore rapidly gained favour. However this old timer had severe reservations about them primarily because to me they were akin to parachutes inasmuch as you cannot be certain either of them is going to work until you deploy it, whereas at least the old fashioned versions could be relied on & tested at anytime be jumping in the water when wearing it.

Currently my boat carries both types but I am unsure which I would choose in the case of a sudden emergency ... probably the inflatable
because probably be wearing it rather than the alternative for comfort ... BUT ... if for any reason it failed to fully inflate would waste no time changing into the standard non inflatable.

Quite frankly I find little assurance in being told any ossible shortfall in inflation can be  supplemented by mouth via a tube as hate to think that would be like trying to do so whilst being tossed about in the water with a whole raft of other issues to deal with, not  the least of which would be trying to breath rather than puffing it into a tube.

So now scary stories are being told of mishaps with cylinders dropping out, losing pressure or corroding etc. all of which are potentially life threatening.

For the record here are a couple more instances that should be considered.
(1) when you put on an inflatable jacket particularly if borrowed, how can you be 100% certain it has not been already deployed & not recharged as tragically happened to the NZ SAS soldier on a training exercise when he was issued a used vest & consequently drowned. As far as I am aware no jackets have any sort of indication as to if the cylinder is full, empty or for that matter even in place ... surely it would not be that difficult to devise something that would do so.
(2) I was about to routinely replace a cylinder so decided may as well test the existing one before discarding it so donned the jacket fastened the straps then pulled the cord. Bloody hell the thing burst into action as expected but to the extent it all but crushed my chest
that took sometime to recover from, so shudder to think what it would have been like if in the water. 

There are standards of course that inflatable PFDs need to comply with but imo it would seem they are woefully inadequate & need to be re written in order to contend with all the outstanding issues,
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 8:47am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So I think the first question that should be looked at first;

How long would you have before you were in the water.

I would say most sinkings of under 6mtr boats would be caused by either hitting something in the water or getting hit by another boat. Either way you’re not going to have a lot of time to see if you’re jacket going to inflate or time to blow it up. Chances are you or someone in your boat are going to be hurt and needing help ASAP. When I’m out with the family I want to make sure if we end up in the water I have them sorted first not mucking around with life jackets and putting on a life jacket in the water is nearly impossible.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 10:29am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How many have actually had the jacket on and manually blown one up?
Another thought.. Where are the stowed life jackets kept?
Under a seat or a place if things go wrong can be easy grabbed, thrown over board to someone, and or easy stored that a good chance would float out free?
We have our inflatables plus a spare... And another 3 block children jackets plus 2 adult blocks.. 1 with a rope tided to it.
Easy grab and throw from helm.
The swim float away above.. Any jump over for a swim or dive the jacket with the rope is floated out the rear of the boat.
The 1st jackets we had back in 50s/early 60s where kapok.. Yep rem parants where real big on jackets for all back then, and so where their friends launches etc we used to go away on..
Then came the polystyrene balls filled children's ones early 60s..spent many hrs playing off the back of the boat with a long rope attached as a child.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 12:27pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jackets need to on before you hit the water,when the sh#t happens its not flat clam,We did an exercise at scouts.Took to the wave pool and got them to put the jacket on in the water,all failed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 12:47pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cylinders falling off life jackets.

Similar to this.

Clarke & Dawe--The front fell off -Youtube. Very funny.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:10pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=Marligator] I have heard that sometimes the CO2 cannister can slowly lose its gas. The way to check that it is still full is to weigh them. The Hutchwilco and similar inflatable lifejackets gas cylinders weigh 146g when full and contain 33g of CO2, whereas the Stormy Seas inflatable lifejackets have smaller gas cylinders that weigh only 62g full and contain 16g CO2.[/QUOTE

Just weighed my h.W cylinder on digital scales. Instead of 146 G it went 141G. So next question is what do they weigh empty.
Hang on they contain 33g CO2. So empty approx 113 G.
Page  <12