Found a flounder on the surface in 30m deep??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Found a flounder on the surface in 30m deep??
    Posted: 02 May 2019 at 6:54pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

New video up now, I even found a flounder on the surface trying to get eaten by a Kahawai in 30m deep on this trip!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 10:08am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Home with an empty chilly bin?! Ermm

Looks like a nice day out though and we should check ourselves occasionally. There are people in other parts of the world that would sell a testicle to catch (and cook) skippies and kahawai. Nice ride back over the bar too Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 6:06pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looked like a Brill not a flounder
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 6:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The bar looked rough on the way out :)

Yeah it may have been a brill or a sole, but unusual to see on the surface. I've seen a paddle crab on the surface in 30m.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 7:11pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Do skippys and and albies swim in the same schools??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 8:10pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by spin king spin king wrote:

Do skippys and and albies swim in the same schools??
Sometimes (Rarely?) . I've caught them in the same school but just once. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 9:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah usually you get one or the other but it isn't too unusual to get a mixed bag
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 6:21pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Smudge - Yeah bar was flat as a pancake on the way out... complete contrast on the crossing coming back in though, shows what a large outgoing tide current can do to a bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 7:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by coxie coxie wrote:

Smudge - Yeah bar was flat as a pancake on the way out... complete contrast on the crossing coming back in though, shows what a large outgoing tide current can do to a bar

Yepp
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 8:45am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another entertaining video Cossie.
That boat anchored fishing on your left as you headed out was not there long.. I did wonder at the time if it was you I was watching on the river CCTV camera.

How far after full tide did you ctoss back?
The odd break started about 3 hrs after full tide.
Regardless of how big the tides are I make sure I'm back over within 1 1l2 hr after high tide very latest
So far have noticed the fish seem to go off the bite about hr after full, and like to be inside the bar 1 1/2 hrs max after full regardless of tide height
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 8:55pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not entirely sure on the time of tide that I crossed back but from memory it was approaching low tide. Was still over 4m of water under me when coming in behind those breakers. Crossing the bar going out I like to stick to near high or low, but crossing back in I usually come in at any time, even if this means big waves you're just following them in not going the opposite direction like on the crossing out. I would be definately stick to near slack tide in a boat though, I feel 1000% safer crossing that bar on a jetski than when I've done it in a boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:20pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Coxie, I enjoy your vids on YouTube.
Just wondering what brand that fleece balaclava is that you wear? Looks ideal for winter trips in my little runabout.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 2:34pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey mate, off the top of my head I'm pretty sure it's a hunting and fishing braded balaclava, was pretty cheap too from memory. It really works wonders for beating wind chill and keeping your neck/head warm