Have a question for Fisheries NZ? Post it here!

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 6:34pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ahh,so we have to buy a magazine to get answers. Makes sense.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 6:39pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Good marketing ploy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 7:20pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The idea is good, but it's not good enough. NZ Fishing News is New Zealand's biggest fishing magazine so it's a great way to get information to those in the fishing community who buy it. However, this is NZ's biggest fishing forum so we need the answers here too, and without delay, after all, this is where the questions have originated from. This forum would be far better to deal direct with MPI and get the answers post haste to its members. That's what I reckon anyway.
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 7:23pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Good marketing ploy

Hmm...ask questions....spend money to get answers....get told what's happening,no answers....rinse repeat. One legged man in a arse kicking contest in it's simplest and purist form lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 7:27pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Mudfish marquand Mudfish marquand wrote:

The idea is good, but it's not good enough. NZ Fishing News is New Zealand's biggest fishing magazine so it's a great way to get information to those in the fishing community who buy it. However, this is NZ's biggest fishing forum so we need the answers here too, and without delay, after all, this is where the questions have originated from. This forum would be far better to deal direct with MPI and get the answers post haste to its members. That's what I reckon anyway.
Aand, expecting mpi to come to the front on this site.....chances are slim to none. That's like what my doctor said after a vasectomy,you won't have kids after this....I got home after the operation and they were still there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 7:44pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks fish-feeder, I still reckon there needs to be someone from this forum with a more direct line to MPI. At present, our resource is at risk and is gradually degrading because of a bias that fisheries management has in favour of commercial fishing interests. We need sensible long term management for the future of our fish stocks, not overfishing for short term gain by commercial interests. Our taxes pay to keep the fisheries managers in their jobs and as such, we have a right to get answers to any and every query we put up, and without delay. That's a bit more of what I reckon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 7:53pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Mudfish marquand Mudfish marquand wrote:

and, expecting mpi to come to the front on this site.....chances are slim to none. That's like what my doctor said after a vasectomy,you won't have kids after this....I got home after the operation and they were still there.

There was a thread some years ago that some from MPI used to come and answer members questions but not sure whether there was a directive from their bosses to stop or maybe because of some of the negative flak being posted caused them to stop. Grunta may know the answer. All very well to publish Q&A but if you want engagement them post answer here as well, as was stated in opening post

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 10:57am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why isn't Snapper 1 management plan area divided into three distinctive areas? ie, Northland, Hauraki Gulf and Bay of Plenty.

Why put three very different areas into one large area with the same rules?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 4:19pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Why isn't Snapper 1 management plan area divided into three distinctive areas?
Good question Al.

Just to clear a few things up.
  • We did run a thread some time ago with questions for MPI (now Fisheries New Zealand) but it got to the point that some forum members were so rude and insulting that MPI decided to engage in other ways and that thread was locked off. Thankfully those particular individuals have moved on however in the event this thread gets into a slag-fest of NZ Fisheries it will suffer the same fate as it rapidly becomes a waste of everyone's time.
  • As we get answers we'll post them here and I believe that was always the intention. Miah's been away for a few days so will follow up tomorrow. The idea was also to have a column in Fishing News magazine for readers that may not be active on the forums as no doubt the questions and answers would be interesting to a wider audience.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 4:27pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 4:30pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty much says they have spent $21 million of your  dollars to say the stocks are healthy.

The question was why after the 3 articles in herald ,do you still allow Trawling/seining/set netting in the Gulf.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 5:23pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Why isn't Snapper 1 management plan area divided into three distinctive areas?

Good question Al.

Just to clear a few things up.
We did run a thread some time ago with questions for MPI (now Fisheries New Zealand) but it got to the point that some forum members were so rude and insulting that MPI decided to engage in other ways and that thread was locked off. Thankfully those particular individuals have moved on however in the event this thread gets into a slag-fest of NZ Fisheries it will suffer the same fate as it rapidly becomes a waste of everyone's time.
As we get answers we'll post them here and I believe that was always the intention. Miah's been away for a few days so will follow up tomorrow. The idea was also to have a column in Fishing News magazine for readers that may not be active on the forums as no doubt the questions and answers would be interesting to a wider audience.

All well and good Grunta but this thread has been up for nearly 2 months and no answer to any of the questions raised have been forth coming. If members are to engage then there needs to be answers here first before publicising in Fishing News.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 5:44pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Does fisheries N.Z have a vision for our inshore fisheries going forward.
If so,  what is the vision, strategy and time frame to implement it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 5:50pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

All well and good Grunta but this thread has been up for nearly 2 months and no answer to any of the questions raised have been forth coming. If members are to engage then there needs to be answers here first before publicising in Fishing News.
Quickly relax Craig - that's a more than reasonable point but how about we just take a deep breath and let Miah give us an update when she gets back to NZ tomorrow morning?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote miahd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 9:08am
miahd View Drop Down
Content Manager
Content Manager

Good morning everyone, 

First off, apologies for the slow reply. Here's a bit of an explanation of how these responses work:
  1. We gather your questions and send them off to our contact at Fisheries NZ. 
  2. They then get responses from the appropriate person in Fisheries NZ (not always easy for our contact!), and when they have answers to all the questions I've sent, they send them back for sharing.
  3. We then publish these in this forum thread and eventually in NZ Fishing News. We only received the responses to the first lot of forum questions last week, and I have been away for a week, hence why they haven't been posted until now.

The answers to these questions aren't being held back until after publication in NZ Fishing News, they just happened to come in as I was heading off to try and catch a marlin (mission failed unfortunately...), and are still being published here first Smile I will make a point of getting them up as soon as I get them in future.

We're all about keeping this info open, especially to those of you who have posed the questions, so thank you for your patience. 
Below are Fisheries NZ's responses to the first lot of questions, as well as a couple that we published in the Jan 19 edition of NZ Fishing News that I thought might be of interest.

"How long is the temporary concession that allows commercial fishers to harvest 53mm rock lobster in CRA3 to remain in place?"

Fisheries NZ responds: In 1993, the Minister of Fisheries approved a management plan for the CRA 3 fishery. This resulted in the commercial catch being cut in half, seasonal closures for all users, and a reduction to the CRA3 commercial minimum legal size for male rock lobsters from 54 mm to 52 mm tail width during June, July and August (3 months). The smaller commercial male size resulted in commercial effort moving from spring and summer to winter. 

The differential CRA3 commercial size has been reviewed a number of times since its inception, with the most recent review in 2014.  The management measures that apply to the CRA 3 fishery (including the size differential) will be reviewed again later this year and into 2020 as part of a periodic scientific assessment of the fishery. This review process may or may not lead to the concession limit being reconsidered.

--

"Why is there no minimum size on some shellfish (i.e. mussels, pipi, tuatua or cockles), but there is on others (ie. scallops)? These shellfish are critical to cleaning our waters, and not giving them the chance to grow to a mature size could be affecting the ecosystem."

Fisheries NZ responds: Putting in place a minimum legal size (MLS) for a species is one of the tools that Fisheries New Zealand can use to manage catch. Where there is information to suggest a sustainability concern may be developing, Fisheries New Zealand will consider the range of management options available. Whether or not to implement a MLS typically depends on a range of factors including the size at which a species matures, how easily the rule could be enforced and how vulnerable the species is to overfishing. In some cases, such as with scallops, an MLS is considered an effective option to limit take and ensure there is an opportunity for breeding to occur prior to being available for taking. In other cases, a MLS is considered to be less effective. Fisheries New Zealand monitors shellfish populations using a regular survey programme and the results of the survey inform decisions about whether to consider taking management action.

--

"I am going on an overnight fishing trip. If I catch fish on day one and want to fillet and bag them on board, what do I need to do or keep to prove to Fisheries Officers that I have not caught more than my limit, or any fish below the minimum size?" 

Fisheries NZ responds: When it comes to most fisheries offences, the responsibility is on the person to prove they have not broken the rules including minimum sizes and daily limits.  

There are a couple of things you can do in order to prove to an officer that the catch was taken over multiple days. 

You could take steps such as logging a daily trip report with Coastguard; turning the tracking function on your plotter on so you can show the trip and; separating and labelling each days catch.  

In regards to fish that have been filleted the same logic applies. If your fillets are from large fish then it will be obvious. If it is not clear, then you could take steps like taking photographs or videos of the fish on a measure board or keeping the frames.  

Whatever steps you take, fishery officers will look at all of the information available to them to make a determination as to whether they are satisfied with your explanation.  

It’s important to know and be familiar with the rules for each area you fish in. In some areas there are specific regulations that prohibit filleting at sea and possessing multiple days catch. In the Marlborough Sounds, blue cod must be landed in a whole or gutted state and there is an accumulation limit.  

If the officer is satisfied that the fish is more than likely to have been legally taken, then they are able to use their discretion with respect to the situation. If they are not satisfied with the explanation, or feel that there is significant enough doubt, they will process the offence as per normal.  

It’s important to take steps, to ensure you have proof that you have not broken the law. Please be assured, that in every situation, our officers take every step to either confirm the explanation, or deal with the offence in front of them. 
--

"As a scallop diver, if I am diving off a boat, I am allowed to collect a limit of scallops for my safety observer. If I am diving from the shore, and have a safety person watching myself and my buddy, can I collect a limit of scallops for them as well?" 

FNZ responds: No - under Regulation 15 of the Fisheries (Amateur Fishing) Regulations 2013, a daily limit is only allowed to be taken for a safety person when “diving from a fishing vessel”.   

--

Note: The question that was posted regarding reserves and legal distance for potting outside of boundaries is a DoC matter, not Fisheries, but our contact is seeking out a response from the appropriate person at DoC for us.

--

Again, we appreciate you posting your questions. No doubt there will be more than one of you who will have the same question, so it's great that we're able to get proper responses from Fisheries NZ to share with everyone.

Fisheries NZ currently have a second lot of questions with them from this forum, which we will hopefully have responses to soon.

If you'd like to speak with me directly about these, or share a question that you'd prefer not to post on the forum, you can always email me on [email protected] - happy to have a chat :) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:26am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I often wonder why after around 40yrs of quota management...I assume quota is to replenish, maintain fish stocks of all species...

I am referring to inshore fish , shell fish species in particular.

The targets set have yet to be reached..
And quota is based on solid 'scientific data'

In that time frame in far too many, coving huge areas, many species have increased, but far too many have all but become extinct?

This would, in all common-sense call into question one or more of these factors
1/ the scientific methodology
2/The data
3/ The interpretation of the data
4/ Legal limits based not on the above, but rather commercial influence upon the political, law making decisions.

Regardless of which of or combo of the above, for many species over the last 40 odd yrs, are still in decline or extinct near extinct.

The question then becomes where is the system breaking down?
And bottom line it is the law makers who make the final call...

So why over around 40yrs so many of our inshore species are still in decline or extinct, and why are there still quota for those species?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote miahd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:29am
miahd View Drop Down
Content Manager
Content Manager

A well reasoned question, Steps. I will include this in our next set to go to Fisheries NZ. Appreciate you contributing Smile

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I often wonder why after around 40yrs of quota management...I assume quota is to replenish, maintain fish stocks of all species...

I am referring to inshore fish , shell fish species in particular.

The targets set have yet to be reached..
And quota is based on solid 'scientific data'

In that time frame in far too many, coving huge areas, many species have increased, but far too many have all but become extinct?

This would, in all common-sense call into question one or more of these factors
1/ the scientific methodology
2/The data
3/ The interpretation of the data
4/ Legal limits based not on the above, but rather commercial influence upon the political, law making decisions.

Regardless of which of or combo of the above, for many species over the last 40 odd yrs, are still in decline or extinct near extinct.

The question then becomes where is the system breaking down?
And bottom line it is the law makers who make the final call...

So why over around 40yrs so many of our inshore species are still in decline or extinct, and why are there still quota for those species?

Editor @ NZ Fishing News Magazine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 2:45pm
Gold
Gold

Four months down the track for my question . Still waiting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote miahd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 2:56pm
miahd View Drop Down
Content Manager
Content Manager

Hi mudfish,

Rest assured, your question has been posed to the team at Fisheries NZ. We send them questions in batches, and when they have responses to a few, we publish them here and in the mag. The person who chases different people within Fisheries NZ for the answers to these questions is just as frustrated as we are with how long it can take to get an answer, but they are definitely trying!

I will give them another reminder, and will post the responses as soon as I have them.

Editor @ NZ Fishing News Magazine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 6:18pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks miahd. Cheers
Page  <1234>