Tauranga Harbour Kingfish Season

Page  <1 891011>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 5:40pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I spoke with Dick today & he will get his son Shane to do the honours with Chrome.
Hopefully will be all good & transmission will resume.
Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 8:31pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good onya Bill   

All hail the great God Google

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Flyfun10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:14pm
Flyfun10 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I was a Flyfisherman for trout. I live here in Tauranga and have bought a salt water fly outfit and a 1410 stabicraft. I had a few kings follow my fly back in November and caught a few on my top water outfit. Where is a good place for Flyfishing for kingfish in tga harbour?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:48pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Dean, unfortunately Mudfish (Dick Marquand) hasn't been on here in awhile due to some computer issues. It looks like- in these last few posts- that we have isolated the problem. Hopefully that means we will see him back on here soon. Otherwise you could try contacting him directly. Uncle on this forum has contact details.

Good choice on the Stabi 1410 too They're great little boats
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 5:28pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hell yeah a 1410 with minkota, mean as,

ill pm ya some info, im far from a expert on the area, but have spent a bit of time andlearnt some stuff.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 6:42pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'd be Keen on some of that info too FISHBYFLY. I too am a boatie, but I haven't had any luck getting Kings in the harbour at all during the daytime.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Flyfun10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 7:56pm
Flyfun10 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thx for the advise. Have found my way to most of what you say, I guess it's a pretty big harbour to discover when it comes to catching them on a fly. I was amazed at the amount of piper that surfaces at night. The kingfish obviously have plenty of food just a bit weary of the human predators out there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 11:36am
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So, does anyone reckon the kingies will still be in the harbour once the lockdown finishes?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 12:10pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 2:14pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hope, Thats all we haveLOL.

Na seriously, should be
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SliderC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 11:06am
SliderC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

This thread has seemed to die off. 
Has any one been out on the flats recently? 
Any kingfish around or is it still too early? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 3:12pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Check out the tauranga salt fly Facebook group slider. That's where you'll find Mr Marquand and quite a few others. Plenty of good info there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 7:35pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have heard the Kings are back in
Simon's situation was grave so he used gravy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SliderC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 10:20am
SliderC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Check out the tauranga salt fly Facebook group slider. That's where you'll find Mr Marquand and quite a few others. Plenty of good info there.

Cant seem to find it.
do you have the link?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 11:29am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Try Salt Fly Tauranga
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 12:00pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Or King Tide Salt Fly
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:12pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

was out on Tauranga Flats yesterday morning,wading the incoming on a channel edge.
perfect conditions,
Must have had 10+ kahawai smash my crease fly, that kept me entertained while looking for kingy sign, no sign,
But still a blissfull morning in pretty souroundings,looking forward to more of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:37pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sounds great - hoping a Kingi comes your way and plays ball fishbyfly as look forward to the report. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 5:00pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sounds very nice Thought there might have been a few kings about with all this warmth. BOI's water temperatures have gone from 14c to 18c in the space of two weeks. Hot kingfish action can't be too far away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:06pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yip, there around  down there, met a guy that morning who was out in a stabicraft,
and said he seen a king on a ray the morning before, 
i think the water temp in the harbour rose from 15 to 17 in a couple of days from that northerly blow, looks like same thing happened up here.

the earliest ive personally  encountered kingys in skinny water in auckland is early december,
i do have a spot a bit further north were they turn up in November.
But, never say never,anything could happen and maybe i wasnt lokking hard enough!
looks like NIWAS prediction for an 'El Nina' summer was spot on.
Hopeing to switch it up a bit this season, less dependence on the Nucanoe and some quality time stalking channel edges on foot at low tide,its just so fun going totally lightweight with a bottle of water, a box of flys, and rod  ,super slowly wading.
Page  <1 891011>