Raglan harbour spots/techniques

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote liljabari101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raglan harbour spots/techniques
    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:40pm
liljabari101 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey all, going out fishing in the raglan harbor today, going out with my dad and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on spots/ways to fish. My father will be fishing from shore and ill be on my kayak most of the time, any advice helps as I have never fished here, thanks :) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 4:43pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bit late to give advise due to short notice - how did you and your dad get on? Good time of year to be fishing inside the harbour.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote liljabari101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 8:32pm
liljabari101 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Reel Deal, unfortunately we didn't manage to bring anything home, none the less it was still a good day and and an amazing sunset. We went in as complete noobs and used techniques that have worked at other spots, no luck. I used some soft baits and dragged some spoons behind my yak at the end to try and catch some kahawai, I constantly was getting some bites, something took the tails off of my gulp squid, not sure what that was but yea. My father was surfcasting with dead bait and he got a couple of big bites which took the heads off of the bait but thats about it. We were fishing right next to Aroaro bay. 

I usually fish in the firth of Thames so if you have any tips about where or how to fish the harbor it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:12am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This time of year bait fishing keeping contact with the bottom should produce. Large Kingi’s are with the rats but hard to target due to huge current but may surprise you so to land your gear has to be upo to it. Surf casting up by the entrance can produce snapper and trevally and KY as there are mussels on the edges of the sand drop offs. Kahawai should be the most prolific.

Can you anchor your yak? Heavy weights 8oz and not a ball sinker with long traces in the current. There are some deepish holes if you look at the charts but you are just as likely for a feed fishing the edge of the channels where they ramp up to the shallow flats.

You can turn off before raglan and do a scenic drive on the gravel to the other side of the harbour looking back at raglan and get your casted baits into some deep water.

The upper harbour around the point fishes well with gurnard likely also in the channels. I flounder up the back sometimes. Very scenic bar the poor farming technicians over the years causing multiple slips. I flounder in 1-2 enters of water and often get snapper to 40cm as by catch so they are there and this time of year feeding. With a tinnie the whole harbour opens up for you and spot called the narrows which is self explaintary when there with baits is hit and miss but when it’s a on its on. Best low tide coming in. Lots of oysters, small scallops and mussels through the harbour.

Fishing off the commercial wharf with a caster is a nice day and can reward. I’m sure there has to be John Dory there but had no luck targeting them myself.

Good luck
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb