Haines hunter 485

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haines hunter 485
    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 3:43pm
@kapitifisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all - looking at purchasing a Haines 485 with a 4s 75 Yamaha on the back. Wanting to upgrade as 2 kids 7 and 4 now wanting to come along fishing and need something safe, dry, easy to launch and retrieve from the beach and easy to tow. Have about a 50k budget and have decided glass over aluminium given increasing family interest. Only other option I am considering is a fi glass cavalier but concerned about addition weight main uses will be fishing and then a bit of lake water sports. Really interested to hear from anyone who owns or has owned one on views.
Thanks all
Tim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote post hole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 6:51pm
post hole View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

With that budget you could get a good second hand 535 .trust me your kids will grow and you will appreciate a bit more room.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 7:26pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive got a Figlass Firestar. Cost about $45,000 new. More room than a 485, particularly big cabin for its length. I like it a lot.
Weight towing about 1,000kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 7:29pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As above from post hole. Go bigger if you can.

Mum and Dad had the 14ft 6 sea nymph all my childhood and as soon as we got the 520 lazer dad said wish we did this earlier. Enabled the family to get out comfortably when we were at the end of our highschool days.

Personally think that you can't go wrong with a haines / tristram / buccaneers all are great sea boats and with 50k you can have a lot of options.

Just remember that a big heart (motor) on whatever girl you pick is always a good thing.
When the kids get a little older and watersports with their mates is an option during summer more horses is always nice to have!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:15pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks letsgetem I have looked at the firestar but have heard stability at rest isn’t that great hence why I was looking more at the cavalier as a bit wider. How do you find yours? Always liked the firestar as an option. Should have added as well want to go new as want a new engine so not considering second hand
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:40am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Might struggle with 50k for a new setup.
Mum and Dad are at 45k already for their little 4.5m weapon that is being built currently.

Also.. Would seriously say consider this second hand haines on trademe.
Listing #: 2007523894
9hrs 2015..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote post hole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:52am
post hole View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If your fixed on new I would be factoring in resale value. From my experience it’s a lot more stress free with a growing family having a bit of space. Small boats are fine with a couple mates that know what there doing. Kids tend to whant to be involved in everything and don’t sit still. Not much fun for everyone if dad spends all day telling them to get out of the way. Have seen some well specked our 535 with low hour four strokes early to mid 40k. Mate sold one the other day only listed it for four days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:14am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Comparing stability between the HH 485 and the Figlass Firestar - beam and weight are very similar - only big difference is the hull deadrise - 17 deg on the 485 and 21 on the Firestar. That's probably significant - certainly the Firestar seems notable soft riding (compared to a Stabi pontoon boat I had) and would be softer than the 485. Stability on Firestar is noticeably less - it doesnt bother me - I cant say how that would seem to you. I guess the only way to get a better idea would be a sea test.
In my case, I decided to go for the Firestar, even though I know the Cavalier would more stable (due heavier and wider); as I am constrained by tow weight and backing/parking. Its a nuisance - everythings a compromise eh.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:39am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like PP and Spear above
If planning new you will be looking a long term investment
Children grow into teenagers.
That usually goes into a few over nighters.. And friends
Even a 5.5 m which fishes 3 guys will be too small
In practical terms will be something more around the 6m..thats 6m actual hull length.. Bow to bottom of stern, not back of duck board.
And around the 200/225 hp
For good salt water sea boat a bow that has a more vertical angle, like the hains, not like a ray glass.
50k that will pick up a good Haines 2nd hand, still in nice condition and a low hr engine with service records.. Most likely from new.
Tow will be around the 2000kg fully loaded (no people weight) about 90 to 100kg vertical on the hitch

I would very seriously think long term with growing fsmily
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 1:41pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks all - appreciate the feedback. I am constrained by storage and weight for towing currently so don’t really want to go higher than 1200 kgs also am beach launching so family holding large boat in breaking waves = family not wanting to come out ever again! Also could be another upgrade in another 5-8 years to a larger Haines, fi glass etc so just need something fit for purpose now that ticks the boxes and provides more cover and safety.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:54pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

one thing to bear in mind for the future is re-sale/tradein

miller moyes/ haines hunter have always made it easy for me to change to a newer boat in the past.

the 485 doesnt have a heap of room for 3 people - perhaps if two of them are kids itll be okay - consider choosing one of the seats being a pedestal type to give a bit more floorspace.

the 485 is fine with the 60/70 hp yamaha - moving up to the 75 is probably un-necessary.
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hsvl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 5:38pm
Hsvl View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a 2012 SF485 with a f70, I use the boat for similar activities, fishing in the Hauraki Gulf, as well as further afield and looking to set up for game fishing, and for fishing/water sports on Taupō. The f70 is a great motor but I would like something with more torque to improve hole shot especially for water sports. It is a great little boat but it is a little boat, for me everything is just that little bit too small to fit things in properly. In saying that I have owned it for a few years now and had hours of safe family and solo boating. Yes I would love to upgrade but it would cost a lot more money to get something significantly better. Mine has king/queen seats on both sides, this is great for family but does limit fishing space. I have fished with 3 but it is pretty tight, especially if lure fishing, ideal is 2.

The ride is remarkably soft for a 17 degree hull, but the best thing about how the boat performs is in a following sea. The hull tracks straight and is very capable, I constantly overtake much larger ray glass boats in a following sea with what looks to be a drier and more comfortable ride. The hull can be a bit sensitive to trim at times, but feels more stable that the old sea nymph 14.6 I had previously. The boat is as stable at rest as any 5-6m boat I have been in, the gunwales are high and the boat gives confidence in its safety.

My parents have a Buccanner 605 that is a nice boat, but is heavier. I don’t find much difference holding the two but it is a different story for the rest of the family, especially on a beach with a few waves. I would look to go to the Buccaneer 525 or HH535/545 if I found one in the price range with the features I wanted, but I couldn’t find that and I am happy with the 485 for now and will be looking over 6m for my next boat.
It hit like a freight train, line peeling and drag screaming the rod now doubled with a tell tail nodding and Salt thickening within the veins.