Mohaka

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mohaka
    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 8:18am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

As the Mohaka was one of the few major Nth Is rivers I had not fished I had long held the ambition to do so.

On Wednesday the ambition was realised when joining in a trip with two fellow members of the North Shore Anglers Club  booked with "Mohaka Raft Fishing"

After a week of dubious weather we were blessed with a fine day to enhance the experience which we would recommend to anyone that has not yet enjoyed doing so.

Deon & Jo the hosts that run the operation do so in a friendly, relaxed yet thoroughly competent manner so cannot praise them enough.

I had heard about the fighting attributes of the Mohaka fish never the less was blown away by the reality which I am inclined to think is due to a combination of natural inherent prowess along with the fact the river path is relatively high gradient consequently fairly fast flowing nevertherless with plenty of fishable medium flow runs.

Unfortunately having recently broken my favoured 6wt sage rod I had hurriedly put together a substitute combination of rod, reel & line, which proved to be mismatched, so was having to over power casts which invariably lead to tangles & spent most of my time either untangling or re rigging. Due to having to spend so much time re rigging with shaking hands, my knots obviously suffered from lack of attention resulting in the bulk of my hooked fish breaking off albeit the others struck a much better average of landed fish, despite having also had their fair share of break offs as well.

These couple of pics should show the sort of terrain encountered running mostly thru a ravine making it generally only accessable via raft & hopefully the pic with the bent rod will hopefully serve to partly illustrate the power the fish possess.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 9:36am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Please excuse  the likelihood of the above post being somewhat disjointed but the puter is exhibiting a mind of its' own deciding to misplaced text, mixing up content & most frustrating of all causing content to disappear all together before complete or posting every so often.

Will attempt to rectify any confusion later on when have time  but currently busy getting ready to fly to Dunedin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 9:47am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work. Love fishing that river.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 10:34am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Here is MRF home page .....

May be wrong but was given to understand river is open year round.