What shark is this?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roland56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What shark is this?
    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 11:17am
Roland56 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What shark is this? Blue shark or Mako?

We had an interesting fishing experiance a month ago. 5 km out of the shore on the Coromandel peninsula in a Southern Cross 3.75 m inflatable boat  (about 12 feet).

I had a nice fiercly fighting Kawai on when my partner saw a big shadow pass about 4 m under the boat and said: "Look, a shark!" I was sure it was just a dolphin, but then it came back like in the film "Jaws". You saw the dorsal fin come towards the boat and then it went under the boat and reappeared on the other side, turned back and swam just beside the boat. Very clear, wonderful fish, as long as the boat. The shark had two hooks in it's mouth and the lines had been cut about 1.5 m above since the lucky fishermen did not want to come too near to the mouth. The shark swam around the boat, almost touching it, and was very interested in the propeller. Lloyd, the owner of the boat and me got quite concerned. Sometimes these sharks, either a Mako or a blue shark, chew the propeller or the boat itself. Not a pleasant idea in an inflatable. And look what the lady on board did. She got her mobile out and started to film the shark swimming around the boat.

Lloyd then hurried up to start the engine and get away before the sharki could have the idea to see if there was something edible in such a boat and chew it up a little bit. The pics turned out really nice!

Now, what shark is that. Ever since the people I show the pics are very sure it is a blue shark or they are very sure it is Mako. What is it? Where is the shark connaisseur who would tell us?

Thanks for any information!

Roland

PS: I was quite interested to buy such a Southern Pacific inflatable myself but after that experience I am not so sure if that is a real good idea, especially since I would like to go for kingfish with their peaky dorsal fin.

Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is much more important.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote out2sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 11:24am
out2sea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Definitely looks like a Mako and yes they have been known to have a chew on outboards and boarding platforms. Seen a few while fishing in my boat but have never had any attack the boat, usually pretty good at taking a hooked kingfish though. Will normally come around a circle the boat for 5 or 10 minutes and then wander off if you're not catching anything. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Epicskwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 11:46am
Epicskwid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It is most certainly a mako. the big black eye and very pointy nose gives it away. Wonderful creatures. The water seems to distort the shape of the fish into a slimmer profile in the photo. thats why it may be confused with a blue shark.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 12:06pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sharks are certainly captivating. Had an interesting experience in the rangi area recently.Had a just undersize kingi swimming about a meter under the surface about 10 meters out  from the boat. Suddenly a massive shark shot up from under the boat heading straight for the kingi It was big or seemed big. A very deep bodied shark,maybe 3-4 meters long and very wide across the head from what i saw in that brief time.Was grey with light grey below About 2 meters from the kingi it turned away and vanished into the depths.
Surprised it didnt actually take the kingi.