Budget Ski for spearing/fishing west coast?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Budget Ski for spearing/fishing west coast?
    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 6:14pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Does anybody fish out of Hokianga etc for bluenose/puka?

Is there anything for $10-12k that would be considered reliable now? I remember 8 years ago the answer was no as the cheap skis were 2 stroke. What about now? And If so what would be considered good?

I want as much size and beam as possible as I maybe 2 up occasionally. Any suggestions?

How do you get back in a ski if free diving, I presume you leave the chiller box at home and enter the back and have a cooler bag in one of the foot gunnels for a kingi etc?

What is a skis range? Id love to be able to get out to the barrier like in my RIB but I think skis have small fuel tanks vs how much fuel they burn? My RIB burns 15lph at 50kph. With 120 litres it generally gives me plenty to get out to little Barrier or GB if the seas are good enough. I have a 30 degree deadrise so not so bumpy like a mono or ally pontoon.

Main reason wanting a ski is size, they are easy to store and reasonably easy to look after.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 10:51pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wouldn't want to cross the Hokianga bar on a jetski, but maybe that's just me. 

You'll want the biggest ski available for a two person fishing trip, 3.4 metres and up.

A normal size person can easily get on/off the side of the ski, so you can have your chilly bin on the back and not worry. If you're very big, this might not be possible.

The range on my FX HO is supposed to be about 180 km. It has a 70 litre fuel tank. Obviously, it would be foolhardy to push it to the limit. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 12:03pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here I was thinking Jetskis are safer than RIBs in a swell, hence crossing the bar.

If I wanted to get to the Barrier would it be smarter to tow it to coromandel, perhaps amodeo and launch from there to save fuel? Id want some spare for moving around to dive spots and for trolling etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 1:00pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I guess it depends on the size of RIB. Don't get me wrong, I love my ski, but don't put myself in situations where I can encounter rapidly changing conditions like a bar, or a long way offshore where it would be a long slog back in bad conditions. I'll occasionally fish 25km or so out of Whangarei Harbour (plus 14km from ramp to harbour entrance), but I pick my days. If there's any doubt, I stay closer. It's not just an issue of safety, but a ski in bad conditions is a wet, uncomfortable ride. I can live without that!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 12:33pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I get what you mean, but they use large skis for Waimea bay etc or Pipeline, so they should be able to handle most waves?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 1:00pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The ski will, but will you?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 8:01pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well Im use to almost anything in a 30 degree deadrise RIB, clearly slightly different.

Whats the real Danger with a ski, I presume side on to swell?

So a capsize, I read they are correctable.

I know a few people who spear off a ski and they go hella wide on east coast. Like 160km round trips.

Is it possible to carry a 25l tote on the back of a ski for extra fuel? I dont think there is anywhere to put a fuel bladder.....

Im looking at that new 3 person budget 4 stroke Yammy Ski.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 9:37pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Capsizing is one thing that can go wrong. It is correctable in theory, but I wouldn't want to capsize a fully loaded fishing ski at the best of times, never mind in a big sea. 

As for rigging, anything is possible. There is a guy in the US who rigs skis for offshore fishing with a tote tank at the back connected up to the main fuel supply. Worth a Google, Jet Ski Brian.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 11:37pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Mighty, what do you make of these new yamaha waveriders that are abour #11k new? All I want is stability, I dont need 100kph, 70-80kph WOT is plenty for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 6:41am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is WOT ever really achievable on a ski? I find 99% of the time its too lumpy / would be peeing blood for a few days after the kidneys take a thrashing..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 8:54am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I get what you mean, but they use large skis for Waimea bay etc or Pipeline, so they should be able to handle most waves?

Actually sit back and watch those J/skis and what they do and where.
 They dont go anywhere the breaks,  they tow the boards out around the outside of the break... 
 Big breaks have big swell periods.. things go wrong with a surfer, they can get in and out between sets and some breaks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 9:02am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Thanks Mighty, what do you make of these new yamaha waveriders that are abour #11k new? All I want is stability, I dont need 100kph, 70-80kph WOT is plenty for me.

I don't really know anything about them. Just had a look after reading your post. They are well priced for sure. Probably fine as an inshore fishing platform. Since you are a big guy and talking about tote tanks and going offshore, bigger would be better!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 9:07am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

Is WOT ever really achievable on a ski? I find 99% of the time its too lumpy / would be peeing blood for a few days after the kidneys take a thrashing..

I generally cruise around at 40 - 60 km/h, or slower if there is a decent chop. When it's glassed out and I just want to get somewhere, I might go WOT which is about 90 km/h. My ski is a bit slower than standard because of the modifications I've had done. I agree though, WOT is rare!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 10:59am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

[QUOTE=JustAnotherSpearo]I agree though, WOT is rare!

But OH SO FUN on any rig haha.

I remember when I was living south of Cronulla I would fish Port Hacking which is quit a long winding Port to estuary, with Cronulla to the left exit of port (lots of nice white pointers)

My first boat there was a 492f Haines Siganature with only a 75hp Suzuki 2 smoke (it did smoke a lot).

Well when finished you come into this wide section of flat water, honestly its just gloriously glassy most of the time. I thought WOT for a 75hp at 40 knots (75-80kph) was pretty quick for the little engine.

So what is the biggest fattest long range ski I can buy that doesnt drink fuel like an FXSHO
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 11:16am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would think Seadoo has a bigger platform????

boy these do look fun, gonna have to get one or 2 when I semi retire on my boat.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 11:55am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My first boat there was a 492f Haines Siganature with only a 75hp Suzuki 2 smoke (it did smoke a lot).
I thought WOT for a 75hp at 40 knots (75-80kph) was pretty quick for the little engine.

I think so as well..1st impression.
Not even going to look u my data base .. just off my head..
So sticking my neck out here..maybe someone would like to look up correct me..?
 Of my head I would guestimate the basic hull about 500kg.
 Add anchors, battery, gas motor and a couple guys that makes around 1000kg on the water... most likely a little more.
 General power manufacture specs for such a boat would be around 75hp (under powered) to 90 or 115 hp, (well to maybe sightly over powered by weight)
 1000kg gross weight on the water plaining hull @ 75hp will reach around 37 to 39 mph (59 km/hr   32 kn) (62km/hr  34 kn)
 75 hp to reach would have about 650 to 710 gross weight on the water.

Just correcting cause if other in the future search for this sort of info and find this their expectations will be way off.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 12:20pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whats your fuel consumption like mighty 40-60kms cruise is certainly covering some distance respectively!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 1:01pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

So what is the biggest fattest long range ski I can buy that doesnt drink fuel like an FXSHO

FX HO is still a good bet, but I would also consider the Sea-Doo Fish Pro. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 1:02pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was just scroling the seadoo site and found the fish pro.

Whats totally gnarly is it has a boarding ladder, so I wouldnt have to think about Esky vs getting back in.

Suppsedly its wider and longer than anything else, has some cool features like troll mode which Id use with the incorporated garmin gear to find the kingy schools. My current boat is quite good like that.

https://www.sea-doo.com/watercraft/sport-fishing/fish-pro.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 1:04pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

Whats your fuel consumption like mighty 40-60kms cruise is certainly covering some distance respectively!

0.5 L/km depending on conditions. A trip around the Hen & Chicks from Parua Bay and back is about 80 km with some messing around. It's costs around $80 to fill up after a big trip, so that roughly works out.
Page  12>