solar trickle chargers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: solar trickle chargers
    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 12:48pm
davv View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Been doing a bit of home work on solar trickle chargers with the plan to get a couple and plug in permanently over winter to preserve the batteries and fend off sulfation. heaps of tech info and types out there but after going round the buoy several times with different types models I've still to decide what is best suited. It would appear as long as the charge is under 1.5 amps you don't req a controller. Obviously blocking diodes are a must too. Ive read a min of 33 cells is read also

Application is a 6m boat with a house and a start battery

Who is using what out there with success?
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 1:59pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep.. The elcheaoo super cheap one about $35 does the job nicely
The down side is that it is not water proof.
Mine l unscrewed the back off it.. Then degrease the edges of the case. Everywhere water may leak in.
Then a light scuff with sandpaper.. Wiped silicone onto bother surfaces and screwed back together
Used to mount it with a bit of sticky back velco on top of the outboard.
I also put a 2x water proof cigarette light socket in the top of the battery box direct to the battery terminals with a 5amp fuse.
That meant still turn off the main battery isolation switch and plug the solar charger in... Or if need be check voltage/run a smartphone charger etc.
That solar charger originally used back in the 90s to recharge starter battery that ran Florence's light in the tent when camping..
It finally died about a yr ago.
I now have a 10w (from memory) about 1ft sq and a $35 charger unit.. Sits up on one of the seats under the Bimini..
Doesn't need full on sun to do the job

Timely post.. Went fishing.. The last thing I do is connect the solar in after clean maintance etc. Then 2 days later Goin I for a angigogram on the heart.. Admitt 2 weeks in hospital open heart op.. Out now and forgotten to put in.. And not allowed to climb ladders yet..
Son can do it this evening

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 7:09pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I was contemplating the same thing our Battery tech guy at work said stay away from the cheap ones without a controller if you like your battery.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 10:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep that's right.. It's about.. With any charger source balancing to power output to the internal resistance of the battery..
Hence the research done in the orginl post re the 1.5w output doesn't require a charging module.. It is not large enough charge in the practical sence of the word.. Output will take days weeks. It is great for mintsnce trickle Thu.
Ie my 1st solar unit..
And my 2nd 10w I do have charger unit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 11:56pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have used a 10 w panel and a simple controller from Jay car for years, to keep my tractor battery topped up, as the tractor alternator is somewhat suspect.
The battery is about 9 years old now..and always ready for a weekend of cranking.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...