The big Aussie lap

Page  <1234 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 4:24pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Reel Deal
While I envy you, I'd strongly suggest you don't go in "croc waters" in anything under 14 -15 ft.  As far as the kayak suggestion, crocs treat them as an entree.
Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 5:06pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Coutta, a hell of a lot of the people in the top end only fish in 10-12 foot tinnies as easy to manhandle down to beaches or creeks. When I worked in Maningrida (Arnhem Land) with aboriginal rangers, I got out on a coupe of crocodile hunting trips (Yes they had a permit to take 100 wild crocodiles a year for commercial purposes) and that was primarily done in a 12 or 14 foot tinny at night.

The main thing is you just have to be careful, change of light and at night plus high tides are not good times. One of the main things is not staying at the same place for a number of days and go to the waters edge at the same time each day as they will lie in wait for you once you have started a pattern. Always talk to the locals, or go to the local police station and ask them, most of them are keen fishos as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 10:06am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Keen to get pros and cons etc...

Haven't done the OZ thing, but we did it in NZ

We lived & travelled & did seasonal work around NZ in our motorhome (mh) for just under 7.5yrs, now back in our house but still have our mh
There are heaps of people doing this, most when they retire, we did it in our 40`s

You want something workable for what you want to do

Our first mh couldn't tow a car legally, then had a mh custom built... for us, that meant, big fresh & grey tanks, lots of solar, big house batteries, stacks of storage, big fridge / freezer, 2t unbraked towing ability (most older rigs are 750kg unbraked) able to be off grid 5 nights at least, dedicated storage for extra toilet cassettes
I had a roll up inflatable with keel & aluminum floor to stand up on with 8hp o/b, this all fitted in the boot of the mh

Get out there & do it, do your homework, talk to heaps of like minded people who have a mh or caravan
Pros & cons on everything mate & heaps of compromise

You meet heaps of neat people, finding out how & why they got into this in the first place, health scares, new turn in their lives, widows, while some have just had enough of what they were doing & wanted a complete change.
One cool thing tho, I met 1 dude, he had lived on the road at that time for 15yrs, he said, he knew of nearly every place in nz where he could get paua in knee deep of water

lots of discussion here & here

In regards to a bigger tinny & outboard
Here in NZ you can have a combination of a mh / bus towing a 4wd that is towing a boat on a trailer, as long as the whole combination unit is under 20m
On your loading cert that is on the front window of the mh, there you will see tare weight, GVM & GCW or GCM
GCW is gross combined weight (or mass), this is set out by the manufacturers specs
eg; our loading says: tare is 5200kg, gvm 7200 gcw 10,200 unbraked 2000kg, braked 3000kg
Basic 4wd approx 1500 plus boat around 400
Heaps out there tow a boat towed by their bus or mh

I am sure you can do this in OZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:36pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some fantastic tips and knowledge here guys - appreciated.

Thought I found a all terrain campervan called a habitat 1 from sunliner. Awesome rig but found it only has lock diffs and is a bit higher off the ground so again limiting to where you can go and damn expensive at $220 AUS.

So back to the off road caravan with a good 4x4 tow vehicle with 12ft top roofer dingy (9- 9.8HP out board)

Can pick up a caravan just a couple of years old for about $70k.
Security still plays on my mind and after working in PNG I’m familiar with carry and using a gun or pistol but will have to get familiar with Aussie law and what is the parameters of self defence before exploring that further.

Isolated spots hundred KM from the nearest person leaves you exposed to attack, home invasion robbery.
etc. maybe caravaners travel in small groups?

The plus of the caravan is the set up and un hitch and explore/ fish and use caravan as base camp. Again I’d look at some sort of alarm or txt warning of tampering etc.

Ive researched the Crocs and geez these buggers aren’t just large lizards. They are clever!!. Told if camping by a river for more than a couple of days change the times you go to the waters edge and location as the crocs will work out your movement pattern and wait....

I’m in my 40s and only plan to do this for a year or two while fit enough to do it properly but who knows...

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 1:40pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

While researching tow vehicles I came across this latest top 10 comparison - handy to know for the larger boat towers on this site

https://www.motoring.com.au/2019-best-dual-cab-4wd-ute-towing-117657
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 5:57pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well my mate who is an Aussie just did it for 3 years, but he used a tent. Hes a surfer so he surfed some pretty remote and most definitely sharky waters.

Big thing, dont worry about snakes and dont try to remove them with a broom as they can strike 3 times their body length. if you using a caravan, make sure it has no access points, snakes are found in washing machine in out houses, swimming pools, anywhere cool in summer and anywhere warm in winter, they have been known to be found in engines and theoretically can enter a landcruiser, but not heard of that actually happening.

Are you doing a ring?

When crossing the Nullabour make sure you are fueled up for 500km when it says no civilisztion for 500km, its true. Some people are known to run out of gas, get towed to the station and ending up working off their gas bill, usually young guys looking to get away from trouble.

Make sure you have a tube tow bar so you can fit the right height tow ball for your caravan.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 6:03pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

While researching tow vehicles I came across this latest top 10 comparison - handy to know for the larger boat towers on this site

You want to spend that much? why dual Cab?

A low mileage 80 or 100 series Lancruiser will see you right.

I had a petrol 4000 80 series, 120 litre with reserve.

I towed a 21 foot boat and all my belongjngs inside the boat across the Nullabor to Perth, without stopping except for gas with my GF at the time, we took 4 hour shifts at driving,. 52 hours that 6 cylinder 4000 towed 2.5 tonne 52 hours. Never got close to over heating.

But I bought it at 150kkm and it had been thoroughly serviced. Never used for towing etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 7:48pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

You want to spend that much? why dual Cab?

A low mileage 80 or 100 series Lancruiser will see you right.

I had a petrol 4000 80 series, 120 litre with reserve.

I towed a 21 foot boat and all my belongjngs inside the boat across the Nullabor to Perth, without stopping except for gas with my GF at the time, we took 4 hour shifts at driving,. 52 hours that 6 cylinder 4000 towed 2.5 tonne 52 hours. Never got close to over heating.

But I bought it at 150kkm and it had been thoroughly serviced. Never used for towing etc.

do low distance 80/100 'cruisers still exist? the vast majority have been used as intended and are north of 300km

many argue that there is plenty of life left in them - and often there is - but things have moved on in the last 20years and a new ute is far more comfortable and just as capable.
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 8:23pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well the 100 series was near new 12 years ago. And they dont lie about landcruisers doing 1m kms in Aus.

Its up to you but a new vehicle might be a whopping depreciation with 20% as soon as you drive out the yard.

If all its for is towing a caravam around Aus.

I am with you though on doing stuff while you are alive. A wise man said buy experiences not objects. I forget who lol

What abbout the 3 years old market?

Why the dual cab though, Im presuming you dont mean tray back? But lockable dual cab, that makes sense.

If I remember correctly 12 years ago the Nissan released its 2.8 turbo diesel which was extremely popular, followed by toyota with a very similar engne,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 8:27pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The ford ranger is now NZ's number one selling 4wd ute, so I dont know if you can overlook it, plenty of near new models of it for sale.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 8:31pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep fpr me a used Ford Ranger, have you made up your mind on what style Caravan you want? Will you go used or new on that?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 8:43pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Isolated spots hundred KM from the nearest person leaves you exposed to attack, home invasion robbery.

Oh I have some lovely horror movies on the Aussie outback that might just heighten your fear :-)

Honestly, its more rare than its made out to be, and yes there are a lot of Caravan spots, where you can un hitch and feel relatively safe, along with a lot of camping spots that do the same.

If you have any  internet zone for your phone you could set up an alarm and a camera. But remote areas some you dont even get phone signal, but its not too bad.

There is an australia camper vanning guide i saw, which lists all the spots close to the really amazing places to drive out to like the Kimberleys etc.

As I said though, my mate did it with a tent always set up, didnt give two hoots about safety and he didnt get robbed.

I understand your concern, but dont let it ruin your holiday and from seeing some amazing places that are not seen anywhere else in the world.

Stickers that there is an alarm are often as useful as an alarm itself, theifs will move on just like houses where they can see an alarm system or neighbourhood watch. I watched a serial house burgler helping the cops in the US and amazing some of the simple reasons he wouldnt attemot a burglary based on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:31pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Again great info - thanks

Re the tow wagon I had a work Ford ranger that towed better than anything Ive had before. Believe its 3500KG is top of its category

The twin cab is due to carting a dog around with us. We dont want at our feet but want it to be close for aircon etc.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fyshwick/cars-vans-utes/2014-ford-ranger-px-xl-double-cab-white-6-speed-sports-automatic-cab-chassis/1214064430

Looking at the above as the back storage is solid and no one can look in. I can put a Gene in there with a cord running to the caravan

Looking at something like this

https://www.tradingpost.com.au/Caravans/Caravans-/Retreat-Caravan-23-Bribie-2015/Ivanhoe/VIC/AdNumber=8T5SGX

All the rig combo is second hand so most of the value has dropped already.

Extras - winch - more spot lights - VHF for passing trucks etc - lighting with movement sensors- roof topper automatic for 12ft tinnie...and prob a few more no doubt but this should get me going.

Not sure how far we will go. Will see after 12 months if we want to do another 12 months. Ill miss growing my veges hard out but hope to get some good kai moana on the way.

Staying in a tent your mate has some balls and I’m sure thats what the scum thought too and kept a wide berth.haha

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 10:29pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am not sure that I would want to be driving any of the modern Rangers, Hilux's etc around ozzie especially if there is going to be quite a bit of gravel road work. Unless you have been on there gravel roads you have no idea what they will do to these vehicles, the corrugations can be diabolical, ten times worse than anything in NZ, they shake these vehicles to bits. If you look at all the Ozzie outback programs you hardly ever see hilux's, rangers etc that is because they just don't last. They all use Landcruisers or Patrol's. I would look at getting a good second hand one of these, after a years use you will sell it again for virtually what you paid for it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 11:47pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is some truth in what Marrigator is saying. Maybe look at full 8 seater Patrol or Landcruiser, then doggie will have air con all over the car and you can load the gear as high as you want in the back.

Perhaps look at what aussies are using to be assured.

The other thing is, if you do any night driving and a Roo jumops out as they do last minute, 2 things, you want a bull bar firstky and secondly if it goes under the caravan, if you are driving a landcruiser or patrol, you are much less likely to jack knife than if you are using a lighter vehicle.

A lot of the roads will just be dirt and they certainkly will get all kinds of trickery in them  The one from Darwin is prob the longest one, but I think you will be following on to Cairns etc,

I do love your Caravan, its like the Catamaran I want to buy, like an apartment on water. Its amazing what they can fit in a caravan these days. I presume you are going over winter due to the heat in summer?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 8:51am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where is Bazza?
Hes setup and had a few rigs over the years with boats attached to RVs
In saying that.. Haven't heard from him for a while....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 9:23am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ha fizfisho - after the missus and I are happy living in small spaces we plan next to go to a catamaran.

Re the tow vehicle the Ranger is in Australia’s top 3 tow go anywhere rigs. And often the top pick. But with some info on the link below comparison it has highlighted weight may be a issue with anything getting close to 3500KG but ideal for anything between 2500-3000KG.
A surprise for me was it was not far of the Toyota’s mileage to fuel ....him. I’m back on the fence....

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/details/top-10-tow-vehicles-2018-114501/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 9:23am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gazza mate - happy to hear your experiences/thoughts...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 9:27am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 11:41am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Coutta, a hell of a lot of the people in the top end only fish in 10-12 foot tinnies as easy to manhandle down to beaches or creeks. When I worked in Maningrida (Arnhem Land) with aboriginal rangers, I got out on a coupe of crocodile hunting trips (Yes they had a permit to take 100 wild crocodiles a year for commercial purposes) and that was primarily done in a 12 or 14 foot tinny at night.

The main thing is you just have to be careful, change of light and at night plus high tides are not good times. One of the main things is not staying at the same place for a number of days and go to the waters edge at the same time each day as they will lie in wait for you once you have started a pattern. Always talk to the locals, or go to the local police station and ask them, most of them are keen fishos as well.
Hi Marligator
Depending on when you were at Maningrida, we might have been neighbours.  I did two years as a cop at Oenpelli and spent literally hundreds of hours on the East Alligator in a 12ft tinny.  That was in the early 80's and crocs were still a bit shy.  On my last trip to Darwin I was bloody amazed at the numbers and the lack of fear they showed.  I keep in touch with a few people in the Territory and I assure you the 12 ft tinny is nowhere near as common on especially the big rivers as it used to be.  It wasn't too long ago when an angler got taken out of a 12 footer on I think, the Wildman.  I don't know whether you've googled Cahills Crossing.  Its interesting.  I used to catch mullet in a throw net there.  No more.
Page  <1234 6>