Beach launching a heavy boat at Matai Bay

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beach launching a heavy boat at Matai Bay
    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 9:29am
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Guys n' Gals,

After a few years of not being able get to Matai for our usual Easter camping mission - this year we're back on - but with a much bigger boat than in previous years...

For 30 years we've beach launched there, but am now contemplating trying to launch a 650 Rayglass from there.

It is obviously on a tandem trailer, and has a decent jokey wheel - but I've heard about the idea of setting up the trailers spare wheel as an oversized jockey wheel of sorts so the nose just doesn't dive into the sand and break the smaller jockey wheel.

Does anyone have a pic or comments about what works well for setting up the front mounted spare wheel? Does it pivot - or just fixed in a straight line?

Launch wagon is a ford ranger, with decent off road tread.

Any thoughts on how this is going to end up??LOLLOLLOL

Other launch locations up there ar Rangiputa nd Whatawhiwhi are much the same as matai itself - although the gate / ramp at Matai is another concern...

The other difficulty is being able to get the boat / trailer rolling back and pushing it into the surf because of its weight - which would save dipping the truck in. But, it might just be that the wagon needs to wet its toes if the tides don't allow a bit of angle on the beach to work with.

Cheers!
Speedy

Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 10:33am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Buy a bit of box section steel maybe 3m or 4m long and make a temporary extension to your draw bar. Use it with the jockey wheel still down. Just a standard tow bar coupling at the vehicle end, but need to get some u brackets or similar to tie it to the trailer so that it won't 'swivel' sideway at that point. A little up and down movement is probably good though. I think from memory that it might be quite easy to do on those Hosking trailers. To be secure you would mount a tow ball so that it latches into the trailer coupling as well as bracketing onto the trailer. That way you probably only need one U bracket and it will be faster to fit and remove. Might cost ~$200 to set up, but once you have it you will be able to keep the car out of the water a lot better. Some trailers have similar and it just slides back under the trailer when not in use, but that will need welding etc. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 12:13pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is an older thread around 2 yrs ago with pics of what Tagit is describing.
 "Search" button above.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 12:49pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would think Rangiputa would be better launching all tide. I have launched 6.1m AMF without any problems. That was along from the ramp outside the paddock car park. Sand is firm once through the first couple of metres of soft stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 2:56pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

a cheap add-on would be to buy an air compressor to allow the tyres to be deflated and reinflated to assist with the soft sand

you absolutely dont want your car tyres near the waterline when retrieving - at minimum a strop to pull the trailer out with.
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 5:35pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I used to carry some 1m long planks with me as well in case of getting stuck and a very long rope. Sometimes you can park the car up on the hard and use the trailer winch in low gear to get the trailer moving by attaching the winch rope to the car rope. Need to check that the winch hook can be passed through the winch so you can pull forwards though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 9:12pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not winching the boat all the way on to the trailer can be useful to keep the weight off the jockey wheel.
If using a tow rope, to win at a 60 degree angle to the trailer can help getting a bogged trailer moving.
The bigger issue will be launching or getting the trailer in deep enough.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 10:26pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

Not winching the boat all the way on to the trailer can be useful to keep the weight off the jockey wheel.
If using a tow rope, to win at a 60 degree angle to the trailer can help getting a bogged trailer moving.
The bigger issue will be launching or getting the trailer in deep enough.

Yip, yip and yip! And that's the trade off for now having the luxury of the bigger boat... Ah well - 1st world problem!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 8:07pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not trying to be a smart donkey here but, how many people roughly would assist with launching and how confident would they be to help you? Could be a world of difference depending on the answer.. 

I'd go the extended drawbar option as suggested above, with the weight of a 650 rayglass stuff messing around. Get it right the first time without any bad experiences and just do it properly the first time round, saves the panic and worry each time you try put her in the drink and out.

Goodluck making a decision! Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 9:47pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Watch what the guy on the tractor does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtfO2wGdlZY
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 7:47pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thats awesome. I wounder if the boat tractor down at Waikatere  yatch club would do that for me.
I doubt  launching in a mono hull flopped on its side would look quite so graceful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 9:03pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

Not trying to be a smart donkey here but, how many people roughly would assist with launching and how confident would they be to help you? Could be a world of difference depending on the answer.. 

I'd go the extended drawbar option as suggested above, with the weight of a 650 rayglass stuff messing around. Get it right the first time without any bad experiences and just do it properly the first time round, saves the panic and worry each time you try put her in the drink and out.

Goodluck making a decision! Thumbs Up

No suggestion of a smart donkey anywhere in that message mate! All good stuff.

I'm entirely confident I can get out and of the beach, its just getting in that's the challenge - and yeah, the extended drawbar would be a good start. It will only gain an extra 4m which at Matai perhaps isn't enough to avoid getting the rims wet!

Before attempting I will be making sure there is another solid 'beach ready' 4x4 around though!! Failing that, I'll drop her on the beach at low tide and wait LOLLOLLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 11:04pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pompey pompey wrote:

I would think Rangiputa would be better launching all tide. I have launched 6.1m AMF without any problems. That was along from the ramp outside the paddock car park. Sand is firm once through the first couple of metres of soft stuff.

I agree. I always launch the RIB there, Ive had no issues with my car etc, there are a lot of expensive houses there, the Fiji of NZ they say lol. Its fus free with my 3 litre Outback, it makes short work of the short amount of soft sand, and just keep a good pace on the way back up and break once you are on the road etc. You will figure it out, not rocket science.

Where the ramp is its nice and gentle but 50m out it gets quite tidle due to the vast amount of water.

Fantastic spot to go fishing.

Are you chasing beakies or bottom bouncing/jigging for kings?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 8:10am
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Originally posted by pompey pompey wrote:

I agree. I always launch the RIB there, Ive had no issues with my car etc, there are a lot of expensive houses there, the Fiji of NZ they say lol. Its fus free with my 3 litre Outback, it makes short work of the short amount of soft sand, and just keep a good pace on the way back up and break once you are on the road etc. You will figure it out, not rocket science.

Where the ramp is its nice and gentle but 50m out it gets quite tidle due to the vast amount of water.

Fantastic spot to go fishing.

Are you chasing beakies or bottom bouncing/jigging for kings?

Probably mostly looking to access the islands up around cape karikari for kings and snaps, but if the weather is right a look for a stick might eventuate also! Driving up on Thursday this week... beauty of that area up there is that there is always somewhere fishable...

Cheers for the feedback and comments...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 3:20pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 3:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Looks like that will do the business!

Side note. Can that be stored in the tow vehicle? If youre up rangiputa ways lock nuts nd being welded to the trailer is sometimes required to ensure shes there when you return
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 3:26pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So here's what we came up with for the front jockey wheels - we added on of these on each side of the trailer. When not needed they are flipped up out of the way.

Because they can spin / pivot in the tube housing, they lead the trailer really well up the beach. Was actually a dream to use... The trick was setting the height, and length of the pins right so that the range of the normal jockey wheel lifted . lowered the trailer enough to insert / remove the wheel pin.

Don't ask me where to buy those wheels - they were spares from work off a big site concrete mixer (that were never going to be used)…

Also did the extendable draw bar - but didn't end up using it - rather just got the rims wet EmbarrassedLOL

Worked a treat a Matai, Rangiputa and Whatawhiwhi… although some care needed still. Avoided high tide retrieval as that wouldn't have work so good given the soft sand.

Cheers!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 3:28pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

Looks like that will do the business!

Side note. Can that be stored in the tow vehicle? If youre up rangiputa ways lock nuts nd being welded to the trailer is sometimes required to ensure shes there when you return

Yeah good point - I never considered taking them off when not around... We've never had any issues up around those areas although. But you never know when someone is going to want to borrow your stuff huh!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 6:32pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah good point - I never considered taking them off when not around... We've never had any issues up around those areas although. But you never know when someone is going to want to borrow your stuff huh!!!

Only had both winch handles(yes handles with an s.. We have 2 on the 10:1 and 5:1 ratio) 'borrowed' up that ways.. Made for a interesting time getting the boat back on the trailer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:51am
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I grew up in Waikanae Beach launching 100% of the time. Did it real styles, 60s glastron glass HEAVY 19 foot with a ZERO Trim Jonny 60hp. Single axle trailer, no jockey wheel. with custom skid.....Dad had a Series 2a Landy that he never got wet. (cause they would dissolve). Always needed 2 people.... or one and a 12 year old kids that would get yelled at.....me.

Jockey wheels in the sand are a wast of time, he got a skid custom made - picture a piece of curved steel plate that had a draw bar mount so it was pointing down at the ground. It would bolt around the draw bar. mounted on top for towing then flipped to underneath for the beach. You stop just before the sea, put in bungs and take the trailer off our tow wagon. The skid was the same length as a jockey, but would allow the trailer to be pushed forward or backwards. skidding along. The Boat is then pushed into the beach rearwards into the sea on the skid, until the boat floated off. Dad would turn the boat into the waves and I would run the trailer back to the landy. park up, set the cable up etc.

Dad would hold the boat - id jump in, he would push out and lower the motor (manual clip no trim) Start her up and warm her up. Dad would get to about middrift height water wise and then move to the rear of the boat (from the rear corner) on his go id drop it into foward and he would jump on the back in the eng pod area..... Prob should have installed a ladder really.....

Now getting out was fine, timing and conditions were key. 

Returning was the fun part, dad would unlock the motor, and get me to run at the beach at cruise speed,,,,,all the way in,...... I mean all 3-4000rpm until the motor hit the sand. Dad would be at the back of the boat....... When the motor touched the sand it would gracefully kick up, id kill the motor and dad would clip it up. You would then coast to a gentle rest on the beach. Got a few looks from other punters doing 30kph past them.

You would have to winch the boat onto the trailer, which sucked - but then a long rope would get thrown on to the trailer and dry landy would tow in up the beach.

I remember watching people with hyd trim thinking they were flash...... after typing this all up we were just a bit rough :-0

Once you have a system anything is possible, Its quite noticeable if your not slick at a boat ramp then maybe take some practice before you beach launch. Also someone gets wet, always.

Page  12>