Maxwell Winch

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maxwell Winch
    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 7:00pm
scooter123 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I am having a problem with my older rope and chain maxwell winch.  It has power to it but is slipping when under load.  It retrieves when manually helped  - ie when pulling up by hand.  As soon  as it is under load it slips.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 7:23pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have you tightened the clutch?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 7:39pm
Silver
Silver

Sorry im knew to winches,without trying to sound like an idiot
,where do i find the clutch ? if its the screw on top that is tightend with a allum key?if so then yes.Iv pulled it to bits and re assembled everything is tight.It looks to me like it has a shiv on the centre spindle that is missing,but when you look dosnt look like it would grip anything.There is a washer that has a cut out that fits into that grove on the spindle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 7:44pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

have you changed the chain size recently??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 7:48pm
Silver
Silver

No, same chain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:10pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a tool that goes into the star shaped hole in the top of the gypsy cover. You use that to tighten the gypsy top down on top of the 'cone' shaped clutch that is in the middle of the Gypsy. So stick the star shaped handle into the hole and tighten it clockwise. It sounds like that is all you need to do and it is a regular thing to tighten it occasionally as the clutch wears.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:34pm
Silver
Silver

Yip have done all that but it's still slipping. Do you know of any one that will come to the boat to service the winch. It is temporarily at gulf harbour
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:58pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It is a really simple fix probably. Undo the 2 allen key bolts in the middle of the gypsy and the two halves of the gypsy will separate. Might take a tap or two to get them apart. Remove the two bronze cones and clean the surfaces with some acetone (the cones and the inside of the gypsy where they fit). If they won't clean with acetone use some ~1000grit wet and dry sandpaper to clean them. Reassemble, tighten the clutch and you should be good to go.
I can recommend someone for you but it is only a 30 minute job DYI requiring one allen key so try that first.

As always, take plenty of photos of the assembled unit before pulling it apart and lay the parts out in order for reassembly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 5:50am
Silver
Silver

Thanks for that. Will have a go after work
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 9:34am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Scooter, as Tagit has mentioned otherwise depending on where your located the guys at Chains Ropes & Anchors service winches 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 4:34pm
Silver
Silver

OK so i pulled it to bits again,cleaned everything,put it all back together and still no luck.
Then the boat next to us came back in and i noticed it had the same maxwell winch,i asked if he knew much about them and he just smiled and told me he was an expertWink
After going threw all the same stuff,he mentioned the chain could have bunched up and knocked the sir clip off wich could have let the keyway fall out.I poked my head in the anchor well and what do you know, a keyway and a sir clip laying under the chain.took about two minutes to fix,Happy days
.Its funny ,when i bought the boat the previous owner told me i would definatly get to no her inside and out.there have been quite a few other small things that have needed fixing over the small time i have owned her,so this is just one more thing to add to the learning curve of owning a launch.And im loveing every bit of itSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 5:18pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

no $$$ spent only your time,learning all the timeWink
I had a sports pro winch,self tailing as you have,no power to winch,Hmm now what,that's right the owner said if it doesnt go check the circuit breaker down by the batteries. Soon got moved to a more handier place.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 5:22pm
Silver
Silver

Yip I found out our winch has its own batterie under the foward bed with a circuit breaker
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 7:27pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by scooter123 scooter123 wrote:

OK so i pulled it to bits again,cleaned everything,put it all back together and still no luck.
Then the boat next to us came back in and i noticed it had the same maxwell winch,i asked if he knew much about them and he just smiled and told me he was an expertWink
After going threw all the same stuff,he mentioned the chain could have bunched up and knocked the sir clip off wich could have let the keyway fall out.I poked my head in the anchor well and what do you know, a keyway and a sir clip laying under the chain.took about two minutes to fix,Happy days
.Its funny ,when i bought the boat the previous owner told me i would definatly get to no her inside and out.there have been quite a few other small things that have needed fixing over the small time i have owned her,so this is just one more thing to add to the learning curve of owning a launch.And im loveing every bit of itSmile

Never come across that before so thanks for sharing. Would have expected no drive at all rather than just slipping. Anyway, you now know your winch a lot better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 7:30am
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had this happen to me with a maxwell winch but the symptoms were tried to lower the anchor and it went down and wouldn’t stop. No drive at all as Tagit suggested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:17am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hmmm had a knot of rope go through mine a couple of weeks ago. I tightened up the centre bolt and seemed fine afterward, might just have to have another look.....
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scooter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 4:32pm
Silver
Silver

There was only a little bit of drive,when i pulled it up manuly.Just enulgh to get it into the well,but it just spun under tension