Squid East Cape

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rock Stomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squid East Cape
    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 9:15am
Rock Stomper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right forum so apologies if not
Just looking to see if anyone has had any luck with catching squid from the rocks in East Cape.
Last time I went livebaits were very scarce even after some large burley bombs going in, with kahawai only showing one day out of 3 and even then only a few.
Was thinking of using a squid jig and then using a squid instead, I know from Aussie anglers they have good results with a live squid.

I've never seen one here but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't there, as at home my livebaits often get harassed by squid.

Also would it be safe to say collecting them while still dark would be best?

Thanks all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 3:53pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good question.

Someone here will have some insight for sure.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rock Stomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 8:58am
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Good question.

Someone here will have some insight for sure.

I did hope so mate :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 0nlanders_Nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 10:22am
0nlanders_Nz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hay guys we fish east cape every year have some vids using squid outtherdoingit /youtube some days they like squid some days they only into lures, skippy always gets bites , one of my favs is what we call a lollie pop is cut squid body of and cut half a pilchard put it in the body and hool and cotton on that way they get to flavours haha. Best bet is we take variety of bait e.g squid pilchards and skippy and pipers kingi love piper bait and see whats biting ay

Cheers Onlanders fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 12:49pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I think he was asking about using live squid caught off the rocks there as livebait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rock Stomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 10:51pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

I think he was asking about using live squid caught off the rocks there as livebait.

Yeah that's right mate, live baiting with squid was what I was after really.

Thanks for the reply though Onlanders I'll take a peek at your YouTube.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 0nlanders_Nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 2:25am
0nlanders_Nz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

O live squid ok my apologize not to sure ay dont even no wea to catch them down there cheers