Boat opinions.

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote panamanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat opinions.
    Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:54pm
panamanz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi,
Be interested in people’s opinions particularly those of you in a similar situation.
Looking for a boat that I can go onshore and offshore on a good day for example to motiti (live in Tauranga) or penguin shoals/Tokoroa or schooner etc etc. on a really good day mayor. Have two young boys under 7. So prefer a boat I can handle predominantly myself with my wife helping me if required. Wife would like it to go to lake to do a little water sports.
I know this sounds like a pipe dream to some of you but I’m sure there are families in this situation.
I currently have a 4.85surtees workmate which obviously can’t accomodate all these options.
Have looked at rayglass 2150 soft top and Tristram 641 offshore. (Not sure a hardtop is something I’m hundred percent keen on) not sure how much overnighting will be done offshore (maybe on the lake). Also like the 6-6.5m surtees and extreme options. Opinions on all these mentioned boats and others would be appreciated.
All discussions would be awesome thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 11:03pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just a thought, and given your suggestions probably not what your looking for, but i’m quite happy with our mac 570 with a 90 Honda four stoke. Stable as hell when all the kids (we’ve got 3) look over the same side as I’m trying to fish on at once. Easy to handle on my own (I was out today fishing at my 5mile on my own). It’s spent a lot of time at the lakes (including Taupo) towing biscuits and wakeboards this year, as it’s easy to tow and cheap to run. Best bit is it’s not worth a lot in comparison to other boats so it actually gets used and I don’t obsess about cleaning it. My oldest (now 15) is usually the captain, and that includes docking it in a cross tide. Yes it’s hit the jetty a bit hard a few times-but then I’ve also done that-and it doesn’t damage it. You’re welcome to pm me if you want more info.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote panamanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 5:13am
panamanz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks a lot for the advice, your situation is pretty much bang on what I want to be doing, fishing 75% and other stuff water sports, cruising the lake and harbour the other 25%. I will take a look at the Mac 570. Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:05am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For the wife, and probably the kids too a toilet onboard will be a big plus. If there isn't one fitted, or if you are on the lakes a lot, put a chemical porta potty onboard. Big difference between say the Mac570, 6m Surtees and say the Tristram 641.The Rayglass is a decent all around boat with a Toilet and wife friendly finish standard. The T641 is probably just a touch nicer again but either will do what you are asking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raptor 650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:10am
Raptor 650 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What does  your budget stretch to ? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote panamanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:17am
panamanz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks tagit. Do you think there is anything lost in not having a hard top with regards to going offshore aside from the obvious protection factors. There Are several reasons why I’m against a hardtop (which maybe incorrect). 1. Added weight. 2. Hardtops tend to be slightly longer and larger boats 3. Find more room for casting ie softbaiting. 4. Less drift when softbaiting. 5. Have been on several bigger hardtops, there seems to be an inherent problem with fog on the inside of cockpit glass some models. 6. I like the feeling of the fresh cold air when the sun is rising 😀
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote panamanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:19am
panamanz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi raptor. Fortunately for me I don’t really have a budget within reason. It’s a family dream with two boys to create memories.
Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:53am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

75% fishing, I would go for a nicely finished alloy boat. Don't fear the hardtop. Get one with good side windows and you can still get a breeze going through it.

Southern Sports or Extreme will probably do a lot of what you're looking for.

Quite a lot of boat to handle on your own, but so is a T641.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:12am
Helios View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm going through the same process as you at the moment, currently own a 5.5m leisure craft with a 90 on the back (its for sale if anyone wants it haha), its been a great first boat but looking for something a bit bigger and more stable when it cuts up out there.

I've been comparing a Rayglass 2150 soft top vs the Extreme 645 hardtop, for mainly fishing and some family time. I'm set on a hardtop so that means Rayglass is pretty much out of the question unless I get an older boat or spend more. I took an Extreme 645 for a sea trial on Monday and it was a nice solid boat that got along great, the hardtop does catch the wind more so you'd need a bigger drogue when softbaiting, I also used to think a hardtop would get in the way of softbait casting but have since adapted and its no problem at all now on my mates hardtops, all that aluminium doesn't make it as soft (family friendly) but like others have said whats its main use gonna be. Your wife might also stuggle to hold something that size by herself while your parking the trailer unless your roping it to a pontoon, there's no way I'd be leaving my Mrs to hold it unroped unless there was zero wind/current.

Anyway good luck with your search!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:14am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by panamanz panamanz wrote:

Thanks tagit. Do you think there is anything lost in not having a hard top with regards to going offshore aside from the obvious protection factors. There Are several reasons why I’m against a hardtop (which maybe incorrect). 1. Added weight. 2. Hardtops tend to be slightly longer and larger boats 3. Find more room for casting ie softbaiting. 4. Less drift when softbaiting. 5. Have been on several bigger hardtops, there seems to be an inherent problem with fog on the inside of cockpit glass some models. 6. I like the feeling of the fresh cold air when the sun is rising 😀

RainX inside and outside on the glass will sort out the fogging etc. There is an inside anti-fog product as well as the outside anti-rail product. Big difference with the hardtop is when it is raining. You can't drive well in rain looking through clears so you have to have the front of a soft top open and skipper at least getting wet. If it sin't raining or cold when you are going out the soft top will work fine. Softops don't trap heat due to air leaks so in winter a hardtop will feel so much nicer. Fishing space will depend on what you buy. Different model boats have different size cockpits and hardtop overhangs. Really just a case of what you think will work for you. Wife will probably prefer the hard top for the extra shelter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:51am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had that dilemma and over the years have owed several boats and brands including glass and alloy.  Most being alloy.
I chose an alloy boat as it's not as much of a concern beside some poorly cushioned pontoons, bumping on the ramp or beaching.
Hard top,  does drift quicker but great for some weather and added protection as well as giving more room for storing dry gear.
Toilet,  i've got a portable chemical toilet,  hardly used but fits up front and is good for the kids or her-in-doors.  Personally i hate the way new small trailer boats are fitted with a toilet which by law can't be used in most places the boat is used such as anchored in a bay.
The boat i have now is a 650 Surtees.  Yes it does look "fishy" as some have mentioned but at least i have plenty of room to store rods in the boat.  Been on the 605 and personally there is no comparison as far as room, storage and especially ride goes.  Prior to this i had a 5.8 which also far outperformed the 605.  Yes the Surtees do take more water over the front but thats not a problem.  The 650 is basically the same as the older 6.1 which keep popping up and would be worthwhile considering.
Never been on a Southern so can't comment on them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raptor 650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:34am
Raptor 650 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If your budget isnt that limited here are my  opinions  Like your self 75% of my boating is day fishing from Tauranga(purely lure fishing nowdays soft baits jigs topwater  etc)  to the areas you mention as well as some overnight trips to the lakes towing toys . 
Over the past 10 years have owned 3 boats. Started with a Haines Hunter SF600-- great lake boat and inshore fishing with a good ride but a bit wet when venturing out further in a chop and a bit unstable at rest when drift fishing out wide , also the layout inside is dated like most of the Haines models. The glued down carpet on the deck was a bloody awful to clean up after the inevitable kingi blood. Next boat was a Extreme 650 Game King hardtop (they may be now called a 665 or 675)  . Great fishing platform with heaps of cockpit room and really stable at rest and good ride into a following sea but a complete pig of a boat ride wise into a chop. Coming back from Motiti/Schooner in to the 15 knot westerly was a real chore in this boat and I was glad to move it on after 2 years. Now have a Tristram  740 sterndrive  which is an absolute dream ride wise and like all Tristrams is exceptionally well finished with a well thought out layout. This may be a bit big for what you re wanting and the 701 may be a better  size. In the sub 7 meter size range a glass boat will always have a better  ride and be much more family friendly and will keep the missus happy.As far as hard tops go even though they make casting more tricky the extra comfort on those winter days when the fishing in the BOP is at its best more than makes up for this.  Have also been out a lot  on a mates 2350 which is also a nice boat but ride and layout not as good as the Tristram .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote panamanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:11pm
panamanz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks raptor. Yea the more I read I think the Tristram 641 offshore might be the one. Anyone with any experience in this particular model?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dedubyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 5:14pm
dedubyah View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had one, excellent boat, top quality buildwise, went well with a 200hp HPDI Yamaha on it. I am 6'1" and wanted something that I could stretch out and sleep in the cabin. Fished 3 in comfort, fitted with a good quality bimini.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 9:49am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fantastic finish on them but it kinda blows my mind that a 6.4m boat has less cockpit space than our Stabi 1550. You just have to watch Big Angry Fish and see them climbing all over each other even though there's only 2 of them in a 6m boat. The cockpit space in that 6m inshore bowrider thing is laughable, and the key fishing components like the livebait tanks are awkwardly tacked on rather than an integral part of the boat like they are on a Surtees or Extreme, for example.

Awesome family boat, crap fishing boat, my 2c anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:22am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

my personal experience with the mentioned 6-7m boats ;

tristram 690 - beautifully finished and very nicely balanced ride. stability is good. heavy for their size so tend to use a bit more fuel. and draw a bit more than most at rest - but only really a consideration if you have regular launch off a shoal beach. spray pattern is good and not much finds its way over the windscreen. seating arrangements dont really prioritise fishing.

HH600, 650 and 725. cheap to buy. styling and interior looking fairly dated but layout tends to be okay for fishing and you get a choice of seating. typically more tender than other boats esp. 650. but fairly light boat which is good on gas mileage. 650 goes very well in the rough and is a dry boat. 600/660/725 are okay. 725 is a wet boat with lots of spray coming over the quarters. transition from slow to planing very good.

have spent a little time in rayglass 2150. good alrounder. fairly heavy again and needs a bit of hp on the bum. fuller forward sections with more pronounced chine flat which can be hard in a quartering sea.

Extreme GK685 - its painted and upholstered, tidy welding but not a nicely finished boat when compared to fibreglass boats of equivalent price. very stable and big cockpit for fishing but you pay for it in the ride/bash. bloody awful in a head sea - and has a weird bobbing motion when running in calm weather - very hard boat to trim properly i found. stands on its tail when climbing 'over the hump' onto the plane.

i like the southern/lazercraft for a mix of mostly fishing and some family. fully carpeted with removable cockpit section makes it a much nicer/quieter boat. a choice of seating a with hardtop arrangement and a ride a thats okay. auckland dealer/manufacturer offers good support too
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote panamanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:10pm
panamanz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks people, this is great.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 1:09pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

my personal experience with the mentioned 6-7m boats ;

Extreme GK685 - its painted and upholstered, tidy welding but not a nicely finished boat when compared to fibreglass boats of equivalent price. very stable and big cockpit for fishing but you pay for it in the ride/bash. bloody awful in a head sea - and has a weird bobbing motion when running in calm weather - very hard boat to trim properly i found. stands on its tail when climbing 'over the hump' onto the plane.

That's fascinating you say that mate, my 605 does the same on both counts, hard riding and bobbing, and I've heard the 645s do it as well. Thought the bigger models would have been better from the longer water line and weight, but there you go! Getting the right stern lifting prop and prop height helps a lot, but doesn't completely solve it.  Permatrim helps too if you don't want to spend a grand on a new prop. It's the only boat I've ever seen where I wished I had sea trialled it in calm water!
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 1:19pm
Helios View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I sea trialled a 645 on Monday, it was fairly calm with some small chop, at one point that bobbing you describe started and I instantly thought of the comments I had read about it but the skipper just put both trim tabs down 1-2 lights and it instantly stopped and we were hooning along perfectly flat, it did feel like I needed to play with the tabs quite a bit to ensure a smooth ride
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 9:06pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Helios Helios wrote:

I sea trialled a 645 on Monday, it was fairly calm with some small chop, at one point that bobbing you describe started and I instantly thought of the comments I had read about it but the skipper just put both trim tabs down 1-2 lights and it instantly stopped and we were hooning along perfectly flat, it did feel like I needed to play with the tabs quite a bit to ensure a smooth ride

Yep do the same with my 605, 2 lights on each side and away you go.

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Page  12>