What alloy boat

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jake187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What alloy boat
    Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 8:31pm
Jake187 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi chasing some info on some of your nz boats. I'm from Australia and are looking at a 6-6.5 m boat and after some pro and con and real life thought from guys who have been in them. So I'm looking at extreme 645, mclay 651, senator and profile 650 and stabi 2100 supercab. Any info on ride stability durability would be awesome
Cheers jake
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 12:53pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would add the Surtees 650 into your list.

All of them are extremely well built, durability unlikely to be an issue.

The Senator 650 is a very capable boat, fairly soft ride, takes a bit of pushing though. We drove one backwards into a not-insignificant sea, had waves breaking over the transom and it took it like a champion.
Rides better than the Extreme 645 in my opinion, Extreme is a nicer finished boat though, Senator a little bit agricultural in some ways.

All relatively good at rest; the pontoons are obviously a little better than the conventional hulls.

Stabicraft... nice finish, high sides make it feel very safe, arguably a bit pricey for what you get, but very very good boats.

The McLay and Extreme have a relatively similar hull shape with the big reverse chine sections that give them much better stability at rest.  The Extreme has a relatively long "forefoot" if you get what I mean - the flat section of the keel is quite short, meaning it has a tendency to pivot amidships and bury the front into the next wave, but on the other hand they have big shoulders so plenty of buoyancy up front.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SumoSid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:19am
SumoSid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I own a 2020 Stabicraft 2100 with a Merc 200HP 4 stroke.  Happy to answer any questions you might have.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SumoSid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:36am
SumoSid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have about 60 hrs on it.  I run it on salt and fresh water.  Nice thing about a trailer boat.  It is easy enough to transport, I tow it to Lake Taupo from time to time 350KM.. no dramas.  Mostly I have it out on the Hauraki Gulf.  I have taken some longer runs with it. Longest run so far has been about 40KM offshore.  I have had it out in some decent waves and wind.  19 knot winds, 2-3 meter waves.  On glass conditions it will run about 5600RPM at 70KPH...  I mostly cruise at 3500RPM in most chop and average about 42KPH.  I find it a stable ride.  Mine has a 6mm hull and is foam filled.. very quite.  At 3500RPM I use about 24-26 liters an hour.. I have had waves over the front of it where you can't see out the windscreen. The windscreen wipers are quite low for me... even seated you tend to lean foward.  The washers are low on the wiper arm and could be improved IMO. its stable and predictable and importantly instills confidence.  The rear transom is nice.  It rides very flat in corners... I need to upgrade the battery to two...  I am always paranoid of running it down with electronics when the motor is off.  Any other questions let me know
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 12:02pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a 620 Senator. Good value for money boat. A lot more cockpit space than a 610 Surtees. The Senator rides better than a similar size Stabi. I have had a 609 Stabi and a 2400 Stabi. Stabi's are expensive compared to other pontoon boats and in my opinion not worth the extra cost. Had warranty issues with both my Stabi's, Stabicraft were NOT easy to deal with. Denying a problem or blaming the owner was their first response.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 12:36pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do not hear much about the Black Dog cats from Whangarei ,still going??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 12:37pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Going strong as far as I know. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SumoSid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 12:54pm
SumoSid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Senator is a nice boat.  I have had two direct interactions with Stabicraft.  One was that I personally think the dive ladder currently a two step is a bit short and could stand a third step added for safety.  They took my request, replied within a day and escalated it to the design team for future consideration.  They seem to take safety seriously.  The second instance was a replacement part.  They sorted that in a week.  So far I am happy with their customer service.  I can not comment on ride quality comparisons to a Senator.  I have never riden in one.  I have been in some decent seas in a Surtees, seemed fine to me... although I think it rocks more at rest and leans more while in corners.  I have to admit I am a bit of a pontoon fan for safety and stability.

If I may ask, what issues did you run into with your Stabi background and their response(s)?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:59pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've got the Surtees 650 and very pleased with it.  Previously had the 5.8 (now the 6.1) also good boats.

Mates got an Extreme 605,  hate it when he wants to take his boat out if there any sort of sea.  Even a small chop.
Might look better but that's it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SumoSid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:21pm
SumoSid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The Extreme looks the business... interesting to hear that it rides aweful.  I had a good look at them, but as mentioned earlier I lean towards pontoon boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:42pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have got a 650 Profile, it will be 10 years old this year so plenty of hours on the water. Great boat, had it out in some gnarly conditions. I fish out of Whakatane so plenty of bar crossings, never had the slightest bit of alarm in it. Nice and stable and plenty of room for moving around when fishing. I just do bottom bouncing and it suits me fine. Can't honestly afford another boat so will repower this one in a year or two.Profile don't make the 650 anymore, replaced with a 635 which I understand is a great boat as well. It does take a bit of pushing, the 200 Opti suits it perfectly. It was fitted with a 19" Vengeance but I replaced it with a 17" Enertia for the prop and it made a good boat great. Big difference in economy and handling.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:41pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The ONLY time I would bother with pontoon boats would be if i HAVE to fish weather windows less than ideal offshore and I would only buy an Osprey for this due to their supreme entry and much greater deadrise.

Otherwise Id go with heavy plate, I was a fan of extremes, but White Pointer or a Southern XP. Out of those 3 I would choose. Id also go twin engine if you are into offshore. Or at minimum a suitable size Auxilary.

If I had the dosh for new, and was to be just 6.5m, I would go Southern, If I had more money I would go white pointer.

I totally disagree re Extreme not handling chop, wtflap

Extreme and surtees have a near identical design, the Extreme is heavier plate, they have designed their cabins to create less noise which is the plague of tinnies.

If going WP i personally like the inboards on there 8m plus boats. Diesel for me and an auxilary is a good option.

For you Id probably go a Souther 646XP or 676, I would if possible go enclosed cockpit (dont think you can) but definitely Cabin. Get cork flooring, takes so much noise out of the boat.

So many choices, all are good, nothing wrong with a Surtees either, probably save you some money.

You do get the safety of the water ballast in the surtees and extreme, they can be known to porpoise but just trim it.

The WP does the best Enclosed bifold cockpit imo, with a toilet  and shower building totally seperate outside, so if doing 3-5 day trips is worth it.

Many boats offer pull down lockable cabins making them private if its you and your Mrs and your mates outside in the cockpit etc.

So many options, you are asking how long is a piece of string hehe, WA Aus makes some great plate allies, Melbourne is known for the best Glass boats in Australsia, but NZ does produce extremely good plate ally boats.

Of the pontoons, the Osprey 650 tickles my fancy. I have been on the Otago Uni Marine Biology boat, Tuhura. They have chosen this boat for the southern ocean for good reason.

https://www.otago.ac.nz/otagobulletin/news/otago656616.html

Point is you are going to have to boat test any boat that interests you, so pick a few, go for a ride, take note of what they say suits the hull, go from there.

Best wishes !

Kia Kaha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:48pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Going strong as far as I know. 

Yep that is by far one of the best choices BDC

The Black Dog Cat 670 Centre Console is a MFn beast for day jobs. Wow, nice boat.

But the 620 hartop is equally awesome, you just lose the ability to fish all around, but you get a cabin.

https://http://www.blackdogcat.co.nz/620-hardtop

So many good boat names above my posts, I hope we have provided you with something to work from.

OMG BDC Drool. Adds pontoons but more so for practically outside flooded bouyancy, its stability.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 9:30pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

just make sure you are comparing apples with apples as far as 650 vs 650.  These days '650' names boats are just re-badged 610 being labeled by their LOA instead of hull length.   a sneaky way of 'justifying' a price increase IMHO
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 12:03pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Extreme and surtees have a near identical design, 

You lost me here.... the hulls are completely different and ride utterly differently. The Extremes have big "shoulders" where the Surtees have a comparatively long taper. The Extremes have massive oversized chines, especially in the rear of the boat, where the Surtees doesn't have anything except a small spray deflector through the front third or so of the boat. The Extremes have a really long "forefoot"; I don't know the technical term but the keel takes a long times to hit the flat section; this makes the boats pivot further to the rear and they can have a tendency to bury themselves into the face of the next wave until they hit the aforementioned big shoulders.

I've been out in a Surtees 6.7 and Extreme GK645 and the Surtees absolutely killed the Extreme in terms of the ride, especially into a head sea. The Extreme was better at rest, and admittedly went well with a big following swell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote harryh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:39am
harryh View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes I agree the Surtees and Extreme would be polar opposites apart from a flooding keel. Extreme is very broad and has good beam al the way through, but you pay for that and the down turn chines by quite a hard ride in certain conditions. Similar with the Stabi they carry there beam a long way forward and can have a hard ride.

The Surtees is more long and skinny and run a lot of their hull in the water. They have a fine entry and utilize the water ballast to give stability. Due to the flat chines though they don't have the same lift as boats with the larger down turn chines and run a lot more wetted surface and therefore tend to need a bit more hp.

I would suggest that you look outside the mainstream brands as there are some really good boats being built out there that perform really well.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 1:35pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Agree Surtees always seem to push a lot of water, mainly in it than on it, don't like boat hulls where under decent speed the water doesn't flow back easily, rather than spray directly up the bow, which shows the hull is lacking in lift, and could porpoise, the early Marcos were the same. Hull would start to lift then no support and down we go and cycle repeated endlessly until you slowed down, most disconcerting.   
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 1:38pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i would be interested in knowing which boat JAKE187 ended up buying
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 3:17pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Surtees is more long and skinny and run a lot of their hull in the water. They have a fine entry and utilize the water ballast to give stability. Due to the flat chines though they don't have the same lift as boats with the larger down turn chines and run a lot more wetted surface and therefore tend to need a bit more hp

Sweet Thumbs Up..
 I have been putting together hull data basis es in regards to propping , which is required for  crouches formula.
Most boats of similar gross weight on the water are all are very close together .. well same within couple points at most.
 Except a couple which stand out requiring more HP than other hulls .. Surtees has been one of these.
The above is a very good explanation as too why.
 Thankyou.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:46pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Do large down turned chines make the hulls harder riding seems to be a common theme.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Page  12>