Stand up harness

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stand up harness
    Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:02am
HuntGatherRepeat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What's the favourite? Looking at buying a new set and see the Black Magic option out there but see some others at half that price. Any feedback on options? Fishing from a 7m trailer boat primarily for kings or dragging lures around the east Cape.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 8:22am
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Black Magic.. nothing else comes close to the quality and fit
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 9:04am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Second the black magic. and learn how to fit it and use it properly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 9:54am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wait for Rebel to have a 30% off sale and pick up the full BM set from there (Gimbal + harness + bag) - you'll have a hard time getting anywhere close to their price, only problem is that it's the regular size one whereas a lot of people prefer the XL gimbal plate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 9:54am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i tried several cheaper options and finally gave in to a black magic.  They are superior in every way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote hillyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 10:24am
hillyguy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I will vouch also for the black magic equaliser set. 1 hour 45 minutes on a stripy in the stinking hot sun.
From a trailer boat it's the best piece of kit you will buy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:48pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The advantage of the BM kit is the adjustable low hanging gimbal, the way the load spreads, and the overall quality. If you aren't aiming for long fights on Marlin you could probably find something with most of those merits and a little cheaper, but unless the cost is a real issue I would buy the BM. I have a few other types as well as the BM and they don't get used much, and not on Marlin at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:52pm
HuntGatherRepeat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers fellas. With that kind of unanimous advice sounds like there is a BM kit on the way. Would love to wait for a sale but have a week out at Waihau scheduled and just realised I haven't picked up a harness yet as I was going through my checklist. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 3:49pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have an old white set from 1998, then a newer set from 2005 - both have helped land heaps of marlin
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 3:50pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ditto Black Magic Thumbs UpJust check the correct fit and I selected the larger Gimble Plate  Big smile
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 8:41pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bottom line is that Black Magic is unmatchable. I have a braid Gimbal plate, that I've had for literally 30 years, but use the Black Magic harness. It works well enough.

Your other options are US based BM equivalents like Braid and Ocean Tackle Research (OTR) which do the job well enough but can be more costly. Any plate that hangs low and any harness that wraps around the top and bottom of your glutes is going to do the same job.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 8:58pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The black padded gimble will leave your thighs with bruised spots on a long hard fight.
The white, unpadded, leaves less bruising.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:35pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have both, black and white. Both are better than none. And the guys usually show their bruises with pride the next day :-)
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 10:48am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I see some photos and videos of loads of people who don't use their harness set properly.
Seen both the split harness above the bum and even up around the chest.
Lots of people using left arm to pull rod up instead of bending the knees. Left hand is for keeping the line evenly loaded onto the reel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 4:43pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes it doesn't seem to come naturally for most. They can't help themselves with the left arm. Have to keep smacking their hand.
Make them spread the line and nothing else with that hand. Then they have to use their legs/thighs/swells.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 7:48am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I go cycling and hill walking so my legs are strong, unlike my puny arms!Wink