Outboard advice for Fyran 440

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StephDiving Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outboard advice for Fyran 440
    Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 4:01pm
StephDiving View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi - have a boat - a fyran 4.4m boat that I need to get a trailer for and an engine.  I don't know what to do really as don't know much about boats.  Should I be getting a new engine. if yes what is a good budget one?  Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:20pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Steph
Sent you a private message. Hear from you soon hopefully.
Regards
Terry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 9:58am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

New - 40hp Tohatsu 2-stroke.
Without knowing the age of the boat that's probably your best bet to not end up over-capitalised in an older boat.

Personally I would probably look around for a tidy used Yamaha 40hp or 50hp 2-stroke. Loads of power for these boats, which weigh bugger all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 10:16am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a 4.6m Marco tinny - essentially the same size boat as yours. Motor is a Yamaha 40hp 2 stroke and it goes great: top speed is 30knots/55km/hr (but needs really flat water to get that) and general cruise speed is in the 20-22knots/35-40km/hr range at which I get 3km/l

Have no idea what they cost new - mine is probably 17 or so years old - and I've owned the boat for the past 15 years 
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:44pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Something like this might be a decent choice if on a budget. https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/outboards/listing-1940317550.htm?rsqid=71ea242c155b4542899bef950f18ee2c

You would need to check whether this is a 20" or 25" shaft length and what your hull will take to make sure of the fit. I think mom with kids the electric start, power tilt, oil injection make life a bit simpler.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 4:33pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

Something like this might be a decent choice if on a budget. https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/outboards/listing-1940317550.htm?rsqid=71ea242c155b4542899bef950f18ee2c

You would need to check whether this is a 20" or 25" shaft length and what your hull will take to make sure of the fit. I think mom with kids the electric start, power tilt, oil injection make life a bit simpler.

I had that exact motor on a 440 fyran, which is a Jap Merc or specifically a Tohatsu. Great motor, highly recommend.Thumbs Up
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 5:25pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Sufishent Sufishent wrote:

I have a 4.6m Marco tinny - essentially the same size boat as yours. Motor is a Yamaha 40hp 2 stroke and it goes great: top speed is 30knots/55km/hr (but needs really flat water to get that) and general cruise speed is in the 20-22knots/35-40km/hr range at which I get 3km/l

Have no idea what they cost new - mine is probably 17 or so years old - and I've owned the boat for the past 15 years 

Edit: As per Tagit - must have electronic start, trim/tilt and oil injection
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 9:35pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Folks, here's some more pertinent detail from Steph about her needs - was posted in the Newbies thread first:

I was thinking around 40hp.  But I am guessing.  I don't know how old it is.  It is in good condition.  Yes we would dive or fish off it and would like to biscuit.  We used it for all these things about 6 years ago.  But then stopped using it.  There were engine problems - which has gone for parts and then trailer munted.  Its a bit of a long story but I am doing it up for my 2 kids as it was their Dads (passed away 6 years ago).  And they really want it back in action. I am in a bit of a catch 22 as not sure what my best avenue is with the engine as am sure if that was OK, it would be fairly trouble free.  Sorry that was a bit long winded. 

...Intended use - diving - but just 2 tanks, fishing. camping trips to the islands.  use only in the bay of islands.  I don't want to spend 10s of 1000's doing up something that may not be worth it. So just want reliable and functional...

Realistically I would not want to spend more than 5k on the engine I dont think...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 10:20pm
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Is it worth spending 5k on a motor plus trailer?. I suspect you would get better value by flicking it as is. Then spending somewhere in the 7.5 to 10k range on a complete second hand set up.
May be able to get something slightly larger with 70+up more suited to biscuiting and get away with a few pob.
Second hand packages are very cheap rather than bitsing together a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 8:27pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mission essentially completed.