1990 bayliner 2958

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1990 bayliner 2958
    Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:19am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Going to have a look at one of these tomorrow with an Older couple. Has a couple of petrol chevy engines running sternlegs which I don't like the sound of to start with. That aside do any of you have any experience with these particular boats. Boat will be getting pulled and hull, legs and engines inspected if they like the feel of the boat. Any feedback appreciated thanks folks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:50am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Old twin petrols on old legs. I assume that it is cheap and looks like a lot of boat for not much money? It is likely to be horribly thirsty to run, and unless the engines have had a bunch of good maintenance done recently they may need a bunch of money spent. If they are the Mercruiser versions and raw water cooled they may be some of the ones that need regular riser and manifold replacements. If so, when were they last done? If they are raw water cooled, when were the cooling systems last properly flushed?
The legs are mostly a question of how they have been maintained. Biggest issue could be that the maintenance and running bills could match the value of the boat if it hasn't been well looked after.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 12:15pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep that's basically my preliminary feelings of it. Has had work done on engines, but no info on legs. When they first asked me to help a week or so ago, I told em diesel and shaft, so the first boat we looking at- petrol and leg! Boat looks reasonably maintained tho. Its posted on Trade me Listing #: 1928159285. Really don't think it is the boat for them however have to start looking somewhere. And yes Dave I have considered your boat if its still for sale. Its just that leg thing again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 12:36pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm, nah!

I had a Markline 850 with a chevy/volvo V8 petrol and leg. No torque at all in a decent seaway and way too much petrol on board. Repowered it with a deisel as soon as possible after buying it.

Lots of boat for the money but unless your buyers are very experienced and/or intend to repower I would move along!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 1:10pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by terrafish terrafish wrote:

Yep that's basically my preliminary feelings of it. Has had work done on engines, but no info on legs. When they first asked me to help a week or so ago, I told em diesel and shaft, so the first boat we looking at- petrol and leg! Boat looks reasonably maintained tho. Its posted on Trade me Listing #: 1928159285. Really don't think it is the boat for them however have to start looking somewhere. And yes Dave I have considered your boat if its still for sale. Its just that leg thing again

My one is old pending settlement, but thanks for thinking about it. Legs are fine in my experience as long as you maintain them well. At that age though you would want to check carefully for any lash as well as checking oil samples etc. Then just be prepared to spend a bit of money on maintenance anyway. The issue is that the maintenance is often not cheap. Bigger issue on that boat (which looks pretty nice) is going to be the fuel burn I suspect. Generally those Chev based engines are OK except for the cooling systems/manifolds/risers which need very regular care if raw water cooled. Other thing that sometimes gives issues is the ignition systems.
You really want to see the rebuild documentation to know exactly what was done. Often the failure on these engines can be from water ingestion through failed risers/manifolds which means valves and heads need serious work as well as the blocks. If they are heat exchanger cooled that could be a lot better, but at that age I am guessing they might be RWC.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 6:39pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks. All very good points to note. Will pass on. Anyone been on one, would like to know about their sea keeping abilitys as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 8:47pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

30ft boat with a flybridge. They will be using the downstairs helm a lot.Won't be living upstairs in any sort of sea. I don't know that hull but some Bayliners can be prone to pounding a  bit in NZ seas. A sea trial will tell you. Just don't do the trial on a calm day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 5:15pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks all. Definite no on that vessel. Other issues going on as well. Spotted few bits of rot round windows where vinyl had been removed. linings starting to come away, cracking vinyl, perishing exterior window seals, and fair few other bits and pieces that had tried to be covered up. Engines just had to many unknowns and the bilge was too messy for my liking to suggest trying to go any further forward.
The hunt continues...….
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 12:56pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep, if people don't care enough to look after a boat or make it presentable for sale, they're NOT serious, or they don't care, which is worse? Run away with great haste.

BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.