Connecting knot

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SchnapperNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting knot
    Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 7:42pm
SchnapperNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi team,

I have been using uni knots for as long as I can remember but when it comes to top water I have changed to the san diego jam knot. However, I’ve found it is pretty hard to keep it tidy with 130lb trace..

Anyone else using anything but the above?? Or any tips on how to keep it tidy? (Have watched youtube but can’t see anything decent)

Cheers :-)
If people knew the really important things in life, there would be shortages of fishing tackle not playstations

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 8:52pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

FG knot hands down... IMO
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 9:21pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I presume you're asking leader to lure?
The likes of international top water guru Dennis Verreet swear by a 4-turn uni to join the leader to swivels (they usually have the swivel connected via a split ring to the lure).

If you look at earlier threads on the forum, the key recommendation is to use lots of spit and pull the tag end with pliers to get the required oomph when tightening. The guys on Big Angry Fish put their hook around a steel pole or something and pull reaaaally hard on the line to check it.

As Pete says, most of the top guys (he's one of them) recommend FG for joining braid to leader.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 9:46pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As you were.... what Lester said..
My bad I didn't read the initial post properly.
So if its final connection my choice is AG Chain knot, acts as a shock absorber..
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SchnapperNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:09pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you Lester & Pete for the response and much appreciated!

I use a 15-20 turn FG knot to tie my braid to leader but to my lure itself is the main thing..

I had a clean bust off using a uni knot and bye bye Carpenter... but such is the game of fishing.

I actually dont think the fish was overly huge.. perhaps it was my jam knot that was tied horribly or the beer goggle had the better of me..

I’m pretty confident of my uni knot but anything else puts a question mark..I wonder if a bimini twist to a uni to a lure would change anything.. assuming my uni knot is on point ;)
If people knew the really important things in life, there would be shortages of fishing tackle not playstations

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SchnapperNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:12pm
Bronze
Bronze

Oh also.. i use a solid ring directly to my split 8if it changes anything.. again im new to top water and i presume a heavy swivel can alter things..?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 10:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

Okay, declaration here that I'm not an expert like some on here. But I read and watched and read more when starting out trying top water. Any fish I've lost have been because of hooks pulling, not knots etc. I now confidently cast with real power, not worried about knots failing at all.

I would say it's very rare for a Uni to fail if tied correctly on any weight leader. you usually find a telltale little squiggle of line at the end if you've got it wrong tying in haste, with frozen fingers, or in the half dark etc.

I ended up with FG Knot, then Uni knot to quality ball bearing swivel (helps with line twist etc) to quality split ring, to lure. So you change lures by using pliers to open the split ring.

I use a less powerful leader (80lb Varivas mono) as I don't fish the likes of Mayor or other famed big fish haunts like maybe Coromandel tip land based. Do you really need to go as heavy as 130lb? Also the mono is easier to tie knots with than some fluorocarbons.

You've got Pete's thoughts - I've seen other experts recommending chain knot as well. There are other experts on here who will hopefully provide their thoughts. Some guys here fish for GTs up in the islands, so they would have experience knotting with the big leaders too.

It must have hurt losing a Carpenter. Famous lures and a famous price tag! My prize possession is a nice OTL made here in NZ, yet to get a fish on it, but it looks beautiful in the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 6:40am
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The San Diego Jam knot is a far superior knot to the Uni when using heavy mono, and even more so when using FluoroCarbon. The best trick for tying the Jam knot is to do it under tension. Place your Rod in a holder and then put your hook around something and then wind a gentle bend in the rod. To get line to complete the knot just pull more of a bend into your rod, the tension helps all of the wraps of the knot to stay side by side and then pull up evenly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 8:35am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The biggest failing of any braid knot is not pulling up each turn/ hitch before starting the next...
ie pull each figure of 8 turn on a FG up .. even the finish 1/2 hitches at the end of it or bimmini twist... any braid knot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SchnapperNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:23pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you for the input guys it is much appreciated :)

my FG knot consists of 15-20 (max) turns and pulled on every 5 turns to make sure they are snug and wont slip. 1/2 hitch done on to braid, leader and both at the end before finishing with a whipping knot.

Managed to find a easy way of doing the San Diego Jam knot following JBoffshore's tip and works a treat! Just looking forward to my next little trip ;)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:13pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TCW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 6:45pm
TCW View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Slightly off topic and not meaning to hijack but the following is well worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDip4_e4c0U&list=PLp7D9Zra2rlOOCBGDF9dgrKjz_XcGJs2X
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:09pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Geeze why is it when these guys make an instructional video they draw it out to the nth degree.?
 15 mins video.....Its only a 35 / 45 sec knot to tie...

Yeah tie i5 like that, using either the reel handle or a loop over your little finger to hold tension...
 Quick figure of 8 around the brand, sharp yank and you feel the loop set EACH time...
 That is the secret to the FG...

The end 1/2 hitches, as with bimini simply lock the tag end.. nothing to do with the strength of the knot...
 lots variations to finish , but concept is 2 fold 
 low profile as line comes back in thru rod eye, and  the tag end doesnt fall out.
 I put a 1/2  hitch around the braid.. 3 1/2 hitches , each pulled up as you go.. around braid and trace. 3 x 1/2 hitches around the braid to give a taper .
 cut the trace back flush..
 Im not a fan of getting heat close to braid /synthetic lines.. heat very quickly kills fine line strength.. and you dont know if it has till you loose that PB fish.

After a lot of use the trace occasionally pulls back out of iys last 1/2 hitch.. quick snip...but doesn't effect the integrity of the knot.. and by that time it or the trace usually past its use by date and ready to be replaced anyway.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:55pm
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Any chance of putting a video or a link to one showing this 35 sec FG knot in action.I spend way too long tying mine & am always keen to learn something new.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 10:02pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fenien Fenien wrote:

Any chance of putting a video or a link to one showing this 35 sec FG knot in action.I spend way too long tying mine & am always keen to learn something new.

There are numerous ways to tie the FG, but the method in this vid works for me. And this is about as fast as I can tie it - it has a simple tie off at the end, not Rizzuto etc. if you add a complicated finish, it would take longer.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 7:24am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And this is about as fast as I can tie it - it has a simple tie off at the end, not Rizzuto etc.

Yep basically the same as the other video method.. just anchor points changed from rod top/ reel handle ot little finger to teeth and foot.
 And as I said above And TK infers.. the finish knot doesn't add to the integrity of the knot... unless you dont pull up and set  as you go.  Which also apples to the bimini. 

Either way you wish toi anchor the ends... in practice one is usually on a boat.. or replacing a trace at sea, and usually most times , on the rod and reel.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 6:38am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have never had a uni fail in any capacity.....i used a nt 1/0 swivel with decoy heavy split rings 8/9/10 mm sizes......i always used a one inch PR knot......i just didnt have faith in my Fg knot and feeling confident in your knot is important.......its also important to retie your uni after you have caught a good fish ....use spit to slip knot up....esp on flouro.......Never use flouro for top water casting.....soft mono like varivas or even black magic soft trace if you are poor.......my guess is you didnt tie your uni properly or you didnt test it for strength and security before you started using it......when you get into the heavier line weight consider 3 or 4 wraps....lighter can go 5........practice it until you can tie it with your eyes closed.....i used to tie them in the dark on the bricks, fishing baits.
You must have faith in whatever knot you tie or dont use it.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 9:26am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Always keep in mind, only a few knots are over 90%.. eg  FG/ biminini when tied very well.
Most others vary between 40 and 70%.
 Most knots are not tied 100% well.

Therefore doesn't matter if fishing or hanging off a rope on a clift face  the tension strength of the line should be taken..
 eg a 30lb line with a say.. uni .. means the line now becomes 20 to 22lbs.
 So when you snap off it means a very close inspection as it if it was the knotted  line that failed or the knot.
 most cases it will be the knotted line not the knot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:12am
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This is a cool tool for FG knots.
 Helps tie great FG knots in PE1/16lb leader to PE8/200lb.
We took it to Aitutaki for GT/Tuna fishing and had no knot failures on the big poppers. Used 4 turn uni to big swivels and split rings.
Have also used it for my lightest softbait setup. I used to use five turn surgeon but the FG is better for going through small guides. 
This tool helps when bouncing on the water in a small boat and or in the wind.

Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 11:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is quite cool...
A good video here

Basically it is a small tool, that one end is the tip of the rod, the other the reel handle the main line is tensioned to.
 And the method to tie.. figure of 8s of the trace around the main line between the anchor/ tension points, and pull up each time.. 
 Note how they stress and demonstrate each turn must be pulled up...
The finish knots.. now that is where things slow down , have to mess around changing anchor points, even after the 1st tie off to secure the plaits..
Page  12>