Stacer 679 vs Extreme 645

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stacer 679 vs Extreme 645
    Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:44am
Helios View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

In the market for a new hardtop boat this year, something better to take the family out in, an Extreme 645 is probably at the top end of my list, however the amount of extras that come with this Stacer for the same price as an entry level Extreme has me wondering if the Stacer would be a better buy

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1935433212

Anyone have any info or opinions on these Stacer boats? not much on the forums about the hardtops.

Maybe it would be worth holding off till the boat show in May to see if there's any better deals?

Cheers all

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 4:54pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sea trial both mate, extreme's are nicely made boats, I have a 605. But I wish I had sea trialled it prior to buying, there are better handling Ally boats. 
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 6:18pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That Stacer certainly looks the part and has all the bells & whisles
As BFB says sea trials and not on a calm day. Take a mate or two, and think about where you'll put you gear, eg rods when on the trailer.
Mate brought a 605 and been out a few times with him. Looks good but I'll leave it there.
Depending on what you want there looks like a good 6.7 at FBNZ.

Also an orphan has a lower resale.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:56pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Very important to sea trial especially considering the cost to purchase a vessel. Some boats perform great on a trailer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 9:01am
Helios View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback, guess its time to start calling dealers and trying to get onboard some of these boats, I've never been in anything bigger than a 6.1m McClay so some real life experience is definitely a good call.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 7:59am
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've had a 645. Looked the part and really wel finished, but bloody hard riding. Upside was incredibly stable at rest.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 10:26am
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Waihime Waihime wrote:

I've had a 645. Looked the part and really wel finished, but bloody hard riding. Upside was incredibly stable at rest.

I think this is exactly what one will find with virtually all designs.
Stable at rest but not so favourable ride or great ride but unstable at rest.
If you spend most of the time at anchor or drift fishing having a stable platform is paramount in my opinion.
There is a popular alloy boat that people rave about in terms of ride but they have a such a sharp entry I don’t like the way the bow sits low in the water when off the plane.
All designs have compromises so your selected boat will be the one with compromises you can live with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 7:56pm
Helios View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

This looks like a solid contender, bit far away from Auckland but could be tempted to do a road trip

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 7:44am
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You are right. Long, narrow and deep vee are all good for sea keeping but not for stability at rest.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 8:37am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mattoo (on this site) has a Southern and i'm sure would give you an honest opinion on them.  Verado ??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 9:53am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would like to point out, that the difference between soft ride and stability, is a compromise. And, the point of compromise is going to be different for different people.

So, I suggest, don't assume anything definite from others' - take care to ascertain how it performs for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 11:21am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Motorhead Motorhead wrote:

There is a popular alloy boat that people rave about in terms of ride but they have a such a sharp entry I don’t like the way the bow sits low in the water when off the plane.

i know the ones you are talking about, you see them doing 5 knots looking like they are hiding a 2-300kg ballast in the bow.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 12:24pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by strx7 strx7 wrote:

i know the ones you are talking about, you see them doing 5 knots looking like they are hiding a 2-300kg ballast in the bow.....

If we're talking about the same ones, I went for a ride in a 6.7m one and it left the Extreme 645 I spent a day fishing off for dead when it came to ride. Stability at rest... both were very good. Pointy 6.7 was extremely sensitive to trim and loading underway, the Extreme much less so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 12:31pm
Helios View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went and check out a Southern 676 and the Extreme 645 the other day, both very nice boats, I liked Southern a lot more, but it also comes at quite a higher price, still need to organise some test rides, you can clearly see by looking at them that the Southern is sharper so probably more tippy, the Extreme looked quite a bit wider, just like people have mentioned above.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 8:30pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

PM Hotdog if you want a fairly frank owners report of a Southern. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keithal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:09pm
Keithal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Could be worth having a chat with ian gunion at renegade boats in dunedin

Custom built boats with a nice fine entry and are the choice of alot of serious fishos in the otago/ Southland area

And cheap compared to the southerns and lazercrafts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 9:57pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Waihime Waihime wrote:

I think this is exactly what one will find with virtually all designs.
Stable at rest but not so favourable ride or great ride but unstable at rest.
If you spend most of the time at anchor or drift fishing having a stable platform is paramount in my opinion.
All designs have compromises so your selected boat will be the one with compromises you can live with.

Wise words. I went on a charter in a 28ft glass boat brand that wins huge numbers of awards, and it flew across the Gulf fantastically. But I was quite surprised how narrow it was when on board, and once we stopped and drifted we rocked and rolled to quite an alarming degree with 6 on board. Very uncomfortable day out. Went on another charter in a heavy custom built tinny which was shorter and a really hard ride, but in the Gulf was great to fish out of.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 8:10am
Dream View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Never considered a pontoon? I'd sacrifice for slightly rougher ride for stability at rest.

But then seas in Gulf harbor is nothing compared to down south.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 10:23pm
Helios View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The search continues! what do you guys think of this 2011 Southern enclosed hardtop, any glaring issues from the photos?
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1947123587

it would be a bit of hike to travel down there so you'd want to be sure of all its little issues etc before heading down, the trailer axles will need tidying but I'm new to aluminium so just looking for experienced opinions :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 7:38am
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just a thought but wouldn’t 150hp be a bit light on for a 6.5m hardtop unless they are quite light?
Page  12>