Softbaiting

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Softbaiting
    Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:39am
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Team, 

Whos softbaited for trout? what jig heads and baits do you use? 
I'm off to Tawarewa Thursday/Friday and thought I might give it a go. 
Do you use the same technique as fishing for snapper etc? 

Thanks 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:50am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Hi Matt
try using light jigheads, say 1/4oz with a small hook (1/0)
The usual method is to drop down vertically on sounded fish.

Try winding SLOWLY up through the fish & often you will see them following on the sounder,
Bumps without hook-ups occur often but every now & then one makes a mistake.

Small paddle tail lures seem to be the go.
Note the word "plastics" as softbaits are not permitted at this stage.

Casting toward any smelting fish on the surface would be worthwhile too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:14am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:57am
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Uncle, I'm going to stop in Rotorua on the way through and stock up on jigheads and "Plastics" 

Can't wait to see if I can have some success! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 4:07pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Go see the guys at the Outdoorsman - they have a good selection and the Tassie devil they recommended caught 6 when we went out just over a week ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 5:54pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

ahhhh sweet that's the place on the left at the round about going towards the lake?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 11:47am
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

2/3 to 3/4 of the fish I have caught this year have been on a soft bait as per the link above.  I got some of these lures from trade me but these ones from ali express are exactly the same for a fraction of the price.

I just thread them onto a small hook and have the bottom hook of my standard 3 fly jig rig with the soft bait where I would traditionally had a woolly bugger.

As per Uncle recommendations - wind slowly through the water column.  Lots of hits are just bites on the tail

The 2 larger fish from yesterday were on the soft bait - as yet there does not seem to be a preference for colour

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 1:03pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Spent last Thursday/Friday last week camping at Tawarewa's hot water beach. 

Had a crack with the soft plastics drifting along the edge of the lake in 20m didn't have a lot of luck so swapped over to the pat swift trout jigs and we were into them, kept one for the smoker best smoked fish I've ever done. 

An awesome place should have stayed longer as it's a fair drive down from Auckland just for the night. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 2:57pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's such a nice place isn't it. I take my kayak down there and fish early in the morning. When it's quiet, you can see them chase and take bugs off the surface. I use 1/6 and 1/8 ounce mostly, and use the Berkley freshwater softbaits or the Dragon ones. Trolling around in close to shore is always a good bet too.