Yamaha 140hp not running smooth

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 9:30pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seriously arcticS don't do half a job on the carbs. Sorry if you already are getting them spotless, but trying to save you some work if you aren't. Every last tiny bit of anything that isn't shiny aluminium or brass needs to be cleaned out. Clean them and clean them again before reassembly. I had one set cleaned 3 times by 2 different mechanics before they were right again. They are very difficult to get right unless you are totally anal about getting them clean. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote arcticShadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 10:58pm
arcticShadow View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the concern,

Yes I am being as through and meticulous as possible. Hopefully i get it right the first time.

I've previously had the carbs cleaned (years ago). By a supposedly Yamaha certified guy that missed the fact a piece of the carb body was broken - so I feel the pain of mechanics not doing the best of jobs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:20pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Add to Tagit.. the crap got there somehow.. replace lines, filters.. add a water filter... althu the crap is there going on intermitent symptoms, sounds like primarly a water issue.
 A real common issue on restored classic cars, rebuilt 'rods is new carbs etc, 1st trip get couple 100 miles and crap in the carbs.. usually varnish peeling off orginal fuel lineas between the filer and carb.
 If not that, peeling between tank and filter, restricting filter...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote arcticShadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:07pm
arcticShadow View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Finally got everything back together, checked/clean out all the lines and replaced some ancient zip ties on the fuel lines with proper hose clamps for good measure. 

Checked my tote tank as well and that's all good. Then remembered about a spare I used a while before Christmas - wasn't much of anything inside it but there was enough for me to be confident it had water in it. So now I know where the water came from.

While putting everything back together I 'primed' the bulb without the hoses attached the carbs to double check and flush everything out, and it all looked good.

So - fired it up this evening finally and it started beautifully - like better than it has since I've owned it. What an awesome feeling. 

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to get it out on the Manukau this weekend and properly tune the carbs and not have any more problems.

Can I take the opportunity to thank everyone for the assistance and guidance. Not sure it would have been possible otherwise.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 10:20am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool..
 Keep in mind, engines are hi precision build machines.. dealing in 1/1000s of an inch... from jets thru to tolerences.
 Then if westart throwing dirt, water crap at it thru the air/ fuel suppiled they tend to get rather upset.
Treat 'your end' .. ie fuel lines tanks, filters, lubrication, general care with the same maintenance precision and a lot of heart ache would be avoided and far more seasonal fishing time taken advantage of wilh out the stress of things going wrong.

Apply the same principles to the trailer bearings, wheel nuts, jockey wheel, keel rollers, and avoid being one of those many stuck on the side of the road in the middle of no where, having snapped off a wheel stud due to simply not greasin when put on and 2 sec spray with CRC after a wash after each trip.

Wink
Page  <12