Coromandel at Easter

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coromandel at Easter
    Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 1:45pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm taking a few days off at Easter and planning to roadtrip north with my old man for a fishing mission.

Thinking 8 days based in the Coromandel. I'm looking for some suggestions about where to base ourselves....

-Boat is a little Stabi 1550 so we can launch off some fairly average ramps/beaches.
-Ideally somewhere that can access either side of the peninsula fairly easily, so we can fish regardless of the wind.
-Mostly keen to chase Snapper and Kingfish; probably won't be going out too wide unless it's really mint.
-The wives are probably tagging along, so somewhere that has stuff for them to do would be A1++ Embarrassed

Thoughts? Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 2:14pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whangapoua, Matarangi or Kuaotunu all have easy access to the Mercs, which are easily doable in your stabi. Plenty of snapper in the puddle that time of year (bascially the stretch of water between these places and Gt Merc) and Kings around the Mercs, and lurking around the local reefs. Coromandel side is 1/2hr drive if an Easterly is blowing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 2:40pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Easter we have found the snapper in feeding on pipis etc Kennedy Bay 12ft water,nothing out around the headlands but were smack bang in the centre off the low tide mark,only had a 12ft tinny so launching was no problem but have seen boats beach launch sw corner of bay. easy launching te kouma (sugar loaf)esk pt mussel farm fishes well at easter and a few kingis around there too but they are smart,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowannicks@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 11:07pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you are at Kennedys bay. There are 2 reef systems that run out from there. The southern one is very tidal. Has great snapper and also crays. Look around with your sounder. A few bronzies live here also. The 35m to 45m drop off is very productive. Around the tide slacking and stopping.
Square top is a great spot. Sheltered in an easterly. With the incoming tide fish on the southern side back into the island.About 50 metres out. The kahawai school up then. Biggest king i pulled from there was 72lb. Lots of big trevs also. The reef that runs to the mainland is great for good snapper.
Happy hunting. The big kings are feeding on 2kg kahawai. There is no such thing as a too big livie.
I miss killing things in NZ