Braid wind-on leaders - anyone use them?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braid wind-on leaders - anyone use them?
    Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 4:50pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have used some for a couple of seasons and like the idea of them but wonder about their visibility.
From below, a mono leader will be visible against the sky....?
You can make a very thin 300lb leader in braid.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 5:10pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Roy, a mate of mine in Whitianga uses 500lb ones to good effect, he has used them for a number of years.
Personally I am not overly a fan of them, because if you get tangled and the fish takes off you are not going to break it, so you go swimming with the fish. 500lb is still reasonably thick probably diameter of 150lb mono whereas 300lb will be a lot thinner and you run the risk of cutting your hands badly if things go pear shaped. But in saying that they are nice and limp so will not affect lure action much. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:23pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I run some, but on smaller gear.
Hasn't restricted my hook up.
But as mentioned above handling a big fish by the boat.
I'm still uncomfortable with that for me.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 9:53pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would be cautious of them. Risk of tangling to high, too easy to cross a wrap, any trace slippage would be painful, body/tail wrapped fish could wear thru quickly and as matt said, a big fish by the boat, be uncomfortable with that. nicely understated.

If you gunna use em be carefull boatside
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:36pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Roy, thinking about it that mate of mine in Whitianga will be using those Kevlar one's of Nathan's (Red Gill Lures) as he is good mates with him, he also sells Red Gill Lures.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 7:10am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tracing using cheap Showa gloves from ITM gets a great grip - no need to take wraps, just hand over hand. Bent this hook on a very large Mako - perfect release!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 8:46am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Guys
Ok for using the Dyneema Braid wind on leaders I would suggest gloves like these:
https://www.reelrepairguy.co.nz/product/963253

as the Dyneema can be a little slippery when dealing with big fish boatside. Yes be carefull if you are going to wrap leader as there is no stretch in Dyneema, only the mono bite leader which you can break 400lb but it takes a very good pull, I would suggest just pinch pull the Dyneema if required.
Having sold hundreds of Dyneema wind on leaders I have only one client who did not like the feel of them, also having caught hundreds of Marlin using them I do not think they are an issue with fish visibility spooking the fish  from striking lures or baits. IMHO
Anyway each to their own, all about learning what works for you best! cheers swordfishsteveSmile
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 4:49pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On a couple of big lures, I've gone the whole hog with braid bite leaders, too. Spliced loops shackle for double hook, one end. A strong swivel connecting to the braid leader, connecting to a hollow braid mainline.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 4:52pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishb8, Do you mean hollowcore braid when you say braid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 9:35pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, 60 lb Jerry Brown hollow core.
From reel to hook - all braid.
It's not as rough as many think
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 6:28am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok, same page now.
I do run a few rods from softbait, jig, casting, deep drop and trolling gear with solid braid through to swivel. Then I attach trace for corresponding style.
I have never had a real problem that I'm aware of in hook ups. And handling has been ok but I can't remember choosing to handle the braid for something large, use a gaff at that point.
My hollowcore use is generally topped with mono.
And that can vary in length.
On my casting units I'm using a 2-3 m topshot and regularaly grab that when fighting a fish. It has girth and seems nice to handle.
I think I just err from handling thinner formats.
As for visibility say when trolling I can see how it could be more obvious from below. But as Steve above mentioned I have not been aware of any detriment to my hook ups.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:18am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

I've used the ones that SW Steve does for a few years now and they work a treat. 

Regarding braid being thinner and potentially dangerous boatside, I don't lead the wind-on  - the angler can crank up that last bit of drag safely once they get a turn or two on and bring the fish boatside. Provided they're on to it enough to back off if it runs then that has worked fine to date. 

Generally once Stripeys settle down, they seem to be reasonably relaxed until you start pulling hard on the leader. Bringing them swimming boatside using just the wind-on seems to work pretty well

Interested in others experiences and thoughts on this...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:33am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Certainly a fan of a relaxed fish boatside.
It's my preferred style, even with sharks I have found this last stage of the fight done in a slow motion affair while boat in motion has paid off with positive results.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:41am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like to pull leader at winding speed so the angler can step back, continue winding and back off the drag.
Owing to a hand injury, can't close fist fully on left hand and don't think I can grip the leader so I'm either the angler or photographer.